Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2023/24

Remember when celtic fans stopped Mo Johnston from playing in a charity match in 2005, it looks like they're still not over him signing for Rangers...

Former Celtic and Rangers striker Mo Johnston has pulled out of a charity "Auld Firm" game at Hampden after fears of a boycott from Celtic fans.

He was due to play a half for each side in the charity game on 23 March.

But organiser Rory Nicoll said: "Mo does not want to be held responsible for people not going to the game. I'm told he is a bit bewildered

47 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Said something? It's ok you can call it what it is - anti-Catholic prejudice. 

Failing to call something out for what it is or down-playing it is exactly why it still exists in some sections

So just ignore the rest of the actual point 

what do you think affects Johnston more today? 

Some words from some old guys in a scheme pub back in the 80’s or the fact he still can’t feel he can safely walk around his childhood hometown in this day and age 30 odd year after the incident because some of the lunatics on your side still hold a grudge ?

Edited by Forever_blueco

11 minutes ago, Forever_blueco said:

So just ignore the rest of the actual point 

what do you think affects Johnston more today? 

Some words from some old guys in a scheme pub back in the 80’s or the fact he still can’t feel he can safely walk around his childhood hometown in this day and age 30 odd year after the incident because some of the lunatics on your side still hold a grudge ?

And here you were going on about irony, you are saying i'm ignoring the rest of your point yet you have just ignored my point entirely and referred to anti-Catholic prejudice as "Some words" which is the second time in as many replies you downplay it

Its almost as if you have an issue understanding what qualifies or just a refusal to acknowledge it. Either way it isn't a great look

And Mo Johnston has said many times he has zero regrets about selling his soul for the blue pound. That doesn't sound like a man too affected by his own decision making

Edited by Jinky67

7 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

And here you were going on about irony, you are saying i'm ignoring the rest of your point yet you have just ignored my point entirely and referred to anti-Catholic prejudice as "Some words"

Its almost as if you have an issue understanding what qualifies or just a refusal to acknowledge it. Either way it isn't a great look

I mean you may not have noticed but Johnston went onto have quite a successful career with Rangers . 

What these couple of guys were mumbling in a pub had absolutely no effect or bearing on his Rangers career. 

Edited by Forever_blueco

52 minutes ago, Forever_blueco said:

I mean you may not have noticed but Johnston went onto have quite a successful career with Rangers . 

What these couple of guys were mumbling in a pub had absolutely no effect or bearing on his Rangers career.

Not mumblings, anti-Catholic prejudice and despite the fact Mo had a successful career with Rangers or that he didn't appear to be impacted by them that doesn't doesn't stop it being any less anti-Catholic. They didn't want him for the sole reason that he was Catholic, that's prejudice

Your inability to acknowledge or understand that speaks fucking volumes.

Let me put it this way. The racial abuse of Mark Walters didn't stop him having a successful career at Rangers did it? Does that make it any less racist or would you classify it as mumblings, some words or something said? Did Kudela racially abuse Glen Kamara or was it just a mumbling, some words or just something said?

Think carefully and you will see it was just racism motivated by people racist tendencies. That shouldn't be downplayed. 

Edited by Jinky67

6 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Not mumblings, anti-Catholic prejudice and despite the fact Mo had a successful career with Rangers or that he didn't appear to be impacted by them that doesn't doesn't stop it being any less anti-Catholic. They didn't want him for the sole reason that he was Catholic, that's prejudice

Is there anywhere I haven’t actually said it wasn’t anti -catholic ? I have said it’s a couple of old guys mumbling in a pub . It’s hardly the proof Celtic fans put it that there was mass protest and boycotts when Johnston signed . Because there wasn’t 

the vast vast majority of headsgone behaviour and bigotry regarding Johnston was from and still is from Celtic fans 

Edited by Forever_blueco

18 minutes ago, Forever_blueco said:

Is there anywhere I haven’t actually said it wasn’t anti -catholic ? I have said it’s a couple of old guys mumbling in a pub . It’s hardly the proof Celtic fans put it that there was mass protest and boycotts when Johnston signed . Because there wasn’t 

the vast vast majority of headsgone behaviour and bigotry regarding Johnston was from and still is from Celtic fans 

You also didn't say it was when twice challenged to preferring to dance around it and downplay it and that can only be because you don't really believe it was......in my opinion

Edited by Jinky67

18 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Let me put it this way. The racial abuse of Mark Walters didn't stop him having a successful career at Rangers did it? Does that make it any less racist or would you classify it as mumblings, some words or something said? Did Kudela racially abuse Glen Kamara or was it just a mumbling, some words or just something said?

Think carefully

Now your mumbling 

one load of shite 

24 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Think carefully

Wow 🤤

Mark Walters was subjected to possibly the worst racism ever experienced at a British football ground >>>>> at Celtic Park.

His every touch booed, bananas, coins & even darts rained down on him.

But..but...but....he went on to have a successful Rangers career...

Genuine wow moment 🤤

15 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

You also didn't say it was when twice challenged to preferring to dance around it and downplay it and that can only be because you don't really believe it was......in my opinion

🤣

mate you have ignored every single point I have put your way and questions asked over the last few pages 

you see bigotry as a one way street and probably don’t even realise it 

I mean I have asked your opinion on Mo Johnstone treatment in the modern day from your own support at least twice and you continuously go back to a 30 year old video from a pub and completely avoid the question 

Edited by Forever_blueco

15 minutes ago, spalding said:

Wow 🤤

Mark Walters was subjected to possibly the worst racism ever experienced at a British football ground >>>>> at Celtic Park.

Genuine wow moment 🤤

That's exactly the point i was making. 

What Mark Walters experienced at Celtic Park was racist, horrible, disgusting and indefensible racist behaviour but if you had read what i was replying to you would have understood that. 

Because what i was replying to was someone downplaying bigoted and prejudicial behaviour as just mumblings because it didn't impact on Mo's career and i was trying to highlight how nonsensical that was. 

Edited by Jinky67

1 minute ago, Forever_blueco said:

Anyway the page has digressed enough . 

Should we start wee Alfie on Saturday or give him a last half hour run out . Feel he has to start on Tuesday regardless of wether he is match fit or not 

Either Alfie or Roofe should start, our best forwards for dealing with tight defences. 

Genuine question, but how old were you when Mo signed for Rangers?

To say it was a couple of guys mumbling in a pub as a hugely understated depiction of the time that I lived through for sure.

It was my first real exposure to how deeply sectarianism in Scotland ran at the time, on both sides of the Old Firm.

There were certainly more than a couple of Rangers fans in a pub vocally and publicly unhappy about the signing for no other reason the the religion of the player.

3 hours ago, Jinky67 said:

Think carefully and you will see it was just racism motivated by people racist tendencies. That shouldn't be downplayed. 

3 hours ago, spalding said:

Wow 🤤

Genuine wow moment 🤤

:lol: 

That his point went so far over your head is a genuine wow moment.