Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2023/24

10 minutes ago, SANTAN said:

Get. This. To. f**k. 

Surely this is just some amateur clickbait factory?

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2021/08/01/gary-cahill-rangers-crystal-palace-2/

Not worried about it. That's a really low quality source and I think Football Insider is also the only other source that has wrote an article on our "interest" too.

Not sure if I'm missing something but Park wants to renege on contractual obligations to the league sponsor because said sponsor is a rival of his personal business (and the money is peanuts)?

I'm sure that will go well for them.

I thought all Parks had was a bus company, never knew he sold cars too.

On a side note, Robertson’s outburst at the weekend about the level of sponsorship is bang on the money. Doncaster has proven time and time again he completely undersells the league. I am get it, I am biased against him and it may be that these are the best deals he can get but it feels we are worth much much more.

1 hour ago, steelmen said:

I thought all Parks had was a bus company, never knew he sold cars too.

On a side note, Robertson’s outburst at the weekend about the level of sponsorship is bang on the money. Doncaster has proven time and time again he completely undersells the league. I am get it, I am biased against him and it may be that these are the best deals he can get but it feels we are worth much much more.

It is probably the best deals HE can get. Someone competent would surely be able to get Scottish football a better deal than the Norwegian and Danish leagues (source: List of domestic football league broadcast deals by country - Wikipedia).

The sponsorship thing is a joke though. When Ladbrooks sponsored the league it was in direct competition to Rangers' main shirt sponsor and that wasnt an issue. But now it is because it goes against a director's personal business? Strikes me as the club just being difficult for being difficult sake and flaming the us v them hymn sheet that Rangers seem to adore so much.

Do we know that the issue with the sponsorship is definitely to do with Park's other business interests? I'm not saying it's not, just that most articles I've seen on it haven't made it clear.

23 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

What else would it be?  Cinch are a direct competitor to Parks of Hamilton.

I don't know, the article simply refers to the "fulfilment of rights obligations" which is quite vague. It might well that reason, but nothing so far has been very clear.

Edit: I also can't remember if Ibrox carries advertising for Park's of Hamilton. I never looked out for it at the Brighton game so not sure to be honest.

Edited by AJF

4 minutes ago, AJF said:

I don't know, the article simply refers to the "fulfilment of rights obligations" which is quite vague. It might well that reason, but nothing so far has been very clear.

Which one would deduce is Rangers wearing the league sponsors on their sleeve.  Which they currently don't do, presumably due to the conflict of interest with Parks.

Edit - The chance of it being anything other than that are slim to none.

Edited by TheScarf

18 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Which one would deduce is Rangers wearing the league sponsors on their sleeve.  Which they currently don't do, presumably due to the conflict of interest with Parks.

Edit - The chance of it being anything other than that are slim to none.

Yeah, I don't disagree - just asking the question as I'd have thought it would be made clear if that was the reason.

Edited by AJF

5 minutes ago, AJF said:

Yeah, I don't disagree - just asking the question as I'd have thought it would be made clear if that was the reason.

Hard to make the SPFL look like the bad guys if you come out and say words to the effect of "aww we wont wear the league's sponsor on our jerseys because it might impact the non-footballing business of one of our directors...but we'll take their prize money at the end of the season of course".

Dont know the ins and outs of the contract of course, but I would imagine cinch/SPFL could, and should, be within their right to withhold prize money if any team refuses to promote the company as agreed with the SPFL in the contract. Also makes Rangers look pretty pathetic IMO so not sure what exactly your board are trying to achieve with this.

From the Sun,  so maybe not the most reliable source.

But dastardly Rangers are refusing to back down.

And SunSport can reveal their argument centres around Rule I7 in the SPFL rulebook  - which they believe allows them to snub certain terms of the five-year contract.

It states clubs are NOT “obliged to comply with this rule if to do so would result in that club being in breach of a contractual obligation entered into prior to the Commercial Contract concerned.”

Rangers are arguing they have various long-standing sponsorship deals in place which would be at risk should they display the cinch logo.

Crucially, they also insist the SPFL failed to formally write to clubs before the deal was struck.

Those are the fine details being argued over by both sides.

The SPFL’s own lawyers are fighting their case and insisting the Ibrox club are out of line.

And Scotland’s other clubs and waiting in the wings to see how the dispute unfolds

I wonder whether there’s a clause in some of our existing SEKO or TOMKET or BITCI deals whereby we can’t undercut the pricing we charge for equivalent spaces, to ensure they’re not on the hook for £2m for the left sleeve and then we sell the right for £20. 

If that’s the case and the maths works out that the per game cost of the cinch deal is actually worse, and would trigger a clause, it’d make sense as to why they’re not displaying it.