Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2023/24

5 minutes ago, AJF said:

I'd entirely agree if it were a bank debt it would be madness, but this has been a period of sustained investment which was always the plan, set out by King and Co when they took ownership of the club where those providing the funds for us to continue to trade agree to have their debt turned into equity.

I have not said we are currently self sustaining, but I believe that we are now very close to being so with many assets available to us and the potential for Champions League prize money which is the first time we have been in this position since being promoted - although I do believe it will need to be the sale of a player or two as I think it will be difficult to qualify for the CL given the teams we will need to face,

Because we are now in a position where we have multiple players that could fetch us the £6.75m figure many times over whereas before our squad value was negligible in comparison.

Depends how you define self sustaining really. I don’t think it’s worth arguing for hours over because as long as there are wealthy ghouls waiting in the wings to meet any shortfall there’s not much risk here. 

Covering your losses through CL money would be self sustaining but it’s hardly reliable over a decent period of time. Relying on player sales or external investment to cover for not qualifying for CL wouldn’t really be self sustaining. I’d say 5 years of accounts breaking even and with a reasonable wage to turnover ratio would justify calling yourself a self sustaining club but that’s not a hard and fast definition, just an opinion. 

As I say, it’s not that important a point. 

25 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Aberdeen are self sustaining.

No, you aren't. You've made many operating losses in recent years. You sometime bridge this gap by selling players which you did last season with Cosgrove and McKenna. Which is the exact same model as ours! Right it's basically what every Scottish team should be doing and what clubs in less fashionable leagues do throughout Europe.

Indeed if you take out player purchases then your operating loss as a % of revenue last season was double the size of ours.

1 hour ago, Merkland Red said:

And yet we're told there's going to be a share issue?

So it's obviously not through selling players or qualifying for the champions league. There's a shortfall that obviously can't be made without doing too much of asset selling.

Surely a successful share issue helps to reduce the reliance on player sales/CL qualification. 

Also worth remembering of course that the finances of the company have absolutely zero to do with the football club.  Not connected in any way. So if the share issue doesn’t work and the company gets liquidated it’s all cool. Nothing to see.

16 minutes ago, DMCs said:

No, you aren't. You've made many operating losses in recent years. You sometime bridge this gap by selling players which you did last season with Cosgrove and McKenna. Which is the exact same model as ours! Right it's basically what every Scottish team should be doing and what clubs in less fashionable leagues do throughout Europe.

Indeed if you take out player purchases then your operating loss as a % of revenue last season was double the size of ours.

I'm not criticising the model of buying players at low prices and selling them on at large profit. That is exactly what Scottish teams should be doing!

I'm suggesting that it's not as rosy as one of your posters claimed if the club are trying 'another' share issue to prevent selling assets.

You could easily make that shortfall back by selling Kent or Morelos. you're not replacing them on a free transfer with the same wage though.

17 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I'm not criticising the model of buying players at low prices and selling them on at large profit. That is exactly what Scottish teams should be doing!

I'm suggesting that it's not as rosy as one of your posters claimed if the club are trying 'another' share issue to prevent selling assets.

You could easily make that shortfall back by selling Kent or Morelos. you're not replacing them on a free transfer with the same wage though.

I'd be surprised if we weren't looking to sell on a couple of the players.  Kamara maybe, Morelos possibly.  We've also signed and are looking to sign centre backs so I'd think Helander might be sold if the right offer came in.  We're in a position now where we have a few players that we could expect decent transfer fees for.

Edited by KnightswoodBear

31 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Again, this is not what is being described as the purpose of the share issue. The offer document states that the funds raised will be used for "investing in the new Edmiston House multi-purpose venue, developments at Ibrox Stadium, the acceleration of Rangers' digital transformation strategy and the club's international expansion".

It has never been said the funds are being raised to prevent the sale of assets which I am entirely convinced will happen. 

39 minutes ago, AJF said:

Again, this is not what is being described as the purpose of the share issue. The offer document states that the funds raised will be used for "investing in the new Edmiston House multi-purpose venue, developments at Ibrox Stadium, the acceleration of Rangers' digital transformation strategy and the club's international expansion".

It has never been said the funds are being raised to prevent the sale of assets which I am entirely convinced will happen. 

It just means you may only sell two instead of four for example.

5 hours ago, Fife Saint said:

Some great photography there and it's terrific to see folk celebrating our national sport.  I smiled at the inflatable shark:

gsquare.thumb.jpg.8367cb28cb56d1ece05ecfbfa242f9cf.jpg

4 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Henpecked Henry and Daft Wee Drew obsessing over pics of Rangers fans.  Meanwhile, in G40, their team is a complete basket-case.

"Fiddling while Rome burned"?  Nero has nothing on this pair of empty-heads.

^^^^^ 60 years old.

Sellick have pulled the Glasgow shirt from their website and, instead, are selling the Dublin version.

Not willing to sell the Glasgow shirt because of its slight resemblance to a 30-year old rival's shirt is understandable.

Changing it to sell a shirt commemorating a city in a foreign country  merely panders to the bhigots among the Sellick support.

Just a guess on my part before anyone demands proof.

Buy shares from Rangers and invest in the  team rather than buying Dave Kings shares.

Again just a feeling/guess, probably miles out.

This makes some sort of sense, although aren’t one of the fans groups fund raising to buy his shares?

I just find it strange that no matter how many shares are sold the price never changes. Surely Dave’s aren’t worth the same price he paid for them.