Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2023/24

21 minutes ago, G51 said:

If I had to categorise the players styles:

Davis/Zungu - passers 

Jack/Arfield - traditional 8’s. Arfield does more off the ball, Jack does more on it

Aribo - narrow 10 but plays where an 8 should when in the base.

Kamara - unicorn, can do whatever is required. Normally plays as an 8.

Cheers, that was excellent. 

I'll probably spend most of today fucking about with it, doubt I'll nail it as I'm limited in terms of statistics you need to properly be specific.

Your midfield is causing the most issues as everyone does everything a lot 😂

Heres a link to the database, so far, as it'll constantly be getting updated as I move on with it.

Not to show how well players have played in these roles, its purely to try and show what roles players have been playing.

https://public.tableau.com/views/CMroles/Sheet1?:language=en-GB&:display_count=y&publish=yes&:origin=viz_share_link

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Cheers, that was excellent. 

I'll probably spend most of today fucking about with it, doubt I'll nail it as I'm limited in terms of statistics you need to properly be specific.

Your midfield is causing the most issues as everyone does everything a lot 😂

Yeah, like I said it’s really difficult to measure defensive play in stats. Aerial won% is obviously useful, but only really for CB’s as it’s not a major part of CM play. Interceptions are somewhat useful, but for Rangers midfield for example, they’re not trying to do that. They’re trying to take away the passing option in the first place, and if you do play it then they’re trying to win the second ball, rather than make the interception.

Its an industry wide problem. Maybe the top clubs have figured something out for it, but for folk like us it’s nearly impossible to evaluate defending without the eye test. There was some hope that Statsbomb’s new 360 product would make advances in this but that product costs a fucking fortune.

As an aside, I think it’s quite cool that Rangers are basically the proof that football tactics are cyclical. So much of what was common in the 2-3-5 of the 1800’s (the 2CB’s marking the striker, the midfield three plugging gaps and covering the full back instead of the inside forward etc) is common in this formation. Pretty fun.

17 minutes ago, G51 said:

Yeah, like I said it’s really difficult to measure defensive play in stats. Aerial won% is obviously useful, but only really for CB’s as it’s not a major part of CM play. Interceptions are somewhat useful, but for Rangers midfield for example, they’re not trying to do that. They’re trying to take away the passing option in the first place, and if you do play it then they’re trying to win the second ball, rather than make the interception.

I've tried to define between passive ball winners and aggressive ball winners, using possession adjusted figures. Not using success % as trying to just define roles rather than how good they are at it, which would be the next step.

Feel its unfair to be comparing two players who have completely different roles.

Pretty easy to comprehend in all actuality, but I’ll break it down for the pair of you.

Rangers fans all have an overblown sense of entitlement. They also for the most part reckon they can do whatever they want and will accept zero blame for any repercussions of their selfish actions.

One of which was having a mass gathering and party which was subsequently followed by    an 8% increase in numbers. Of course, this had nothing to do with the actions of the fans.

The 'Guard of Honour' phenomenon that's grown over the last few years is a bit of a riddy, but it can't be underestimated how much football could help with the divide that's unfortunately infected the West of Scotland. There's certainly room for a gesture to be made that could perhaps go some way towards building bridges between the two factions. Perhaps not something as official as a guard of honour, but maybe the Celtic players joining in with the bouncy at the end of the game would act as a small token of reconciliation that could be appreciated by both sides.

i see it as a 1-1-1-1-1-1-1-2- 1 formation

goalkeeper playmaker

infinitely deep playmaker

unfathomably deep playmaker

extremely deep playmaker

quantum "holding" playmaker

kula shaker playmaker

box to box playmaker

postmodern "false" playmaker

number 8.25 playmaker                        number 8.99 playmaker

old fashioned playmaker

slight lack of width perhaps?

is "playmaker" the word of the day over there (by the way, big man)?

3 hours ago, stressball said:

Pretty easy to comprehend in all actuality, but I’ll break it down for the pair of you.

Rangers fans all have an overblown sense of entitlement. They also for the most part reckon they can do whatever they want and will accept zero blame for any repercussions of their selfish actions.

One of which was having a mass gathering and party which was subsequently followed by    an 8% increase in numbers. Of course, this had nothing to do with the actions of the fans.

when u understand how covid spreads

9 hours ago, DMCs said:

In terms of ball-winning stats Davis is generally 1st for us in interceptions and the likes.

I've now got it to the stage where Davis is your best "passive" ball winner, as in he wins the ball from interceptions/loose balls. While Jack is your best aggressive ball winner, as in directly from tackling/duels etc., and Jack is also the best all round ball winner when you combine the two. Content with that.

Spoiler

hun.thumb.png.e1ae6b4edfe60f7b0afb6e7046342fca.png

In my kitchen this evening I have invented a new gentlemens’ grooming product. it’s going to be called “right guard of honour “. “When the league is a close shave there will be no rash decisions” is the slogan we are using in the advertising campaign. Scottish football will avoid any malodorous stench as all the sweat glans are in full lockdown. I have put a lot of thought into this and all the bases are covid. The product is to be launched in George Square tomorrow - police come along and join in the fun.

I’m very lucky that I’ve been able to engage a 1980s Olympic athlete to front the advertising campaign. The idea is that even an 800 metre champion doesn’t  perspire much when wearing the new product during a race. Steve Ovett wasn’t available but I have got Sev Coe to appear (bit of a Tory I know, sorry)

For those of you with a scientific bent, the product contains the chemical G51 which protects against epidemiological epididymitis. This may be carcinogenic but nothing can be proved

Another potential side effect is otitis balanitis. No official press release yet but if you p***k up your ears ......

8 hours ago, true fan said:

In my kitchen this evening I have invented a new gentlemens’ grooming product. it’s going to be called “right guard of honour “. “When the league is a close shave there will be no rash decisions” is the slogan we are using in the advertising campaign. Scottish football will avoid any malodorous stench as all the sweat glans are in full lockdown. I have put a lot of thought into this and all the bases are covid. The product is to be launched in George Square tomorrow - police come along and join in the fun.

I’m very lucky that I’ve been able to engage a 1980s Olympic athlete to front the advertising campaign. The idea is that even an 800 metre champion doesn’t  perspire much when wearing the new product during a race. Steve Ovett wasn’t available but I have got Sev Coe to appear (bit of a Tory I know, sorry)

For those of you with a scientific bent, the product contains the chemical G51 which protects against epidemiological epididymitis. This may be carcinogenic but nothing can be proved

Another potential side effect is otitis balanitis. No official press release yet but if you p***k up your ears ......

tenor-1.gif.b6f2ba2c14a80d45a634bf6bd674c6f0.gif