Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2023/24

3 minutes ago, kent_don said:

haha - it’s mot a good look when the club are too thick to send out a few tweets with the words to the effect of:

we urge all supporters to celebrate while adhering to social distancing guidelines from the government.

Or were they waiting for police Scotland to ok a statement so they could blame it on them?

What difference does it make that those words were spoken by the manager (which was the approach agreed with the SG and police) and played over the tannoy at Ibrox to the actual fans that were there? It makes no difference, they got the message. To suggest that not tweeting about it is some kind of failing is clutching at straws mate.

Edited by AJF

41 minutes ago, AJF said:

That’s Swinney well and truly clamped.

I dont imagine that St Johnstone had to "get the ok" from anyone to send out this message on twitter which covered the stadium and lack of any celebration.

image.png.5e6250cf833031cc03c2bd2ac6b14422.png

Just how was that message from Gerrard disseminated?

And was it cemented via all the different social medias that Rangers use?

I know the answer to that one.

But, aye - thats the governments fault.

11 minutes ago, G51 said:

John Swinney being made to look like a complete fucking moron? Again?

Championship Monday keeps on delivering.

Can the rangers not just hold up their hands and admit that they were in the wrong instead of blaming all and sundry every time some criticism is levelled at them ?  

What happened was wrong  and no level of whataboutery will change that in the eyes of the non football minded public. 

Rangers leaking this through an extremely sympathetic journalist rather than doing so publicly themselves raises eyebrows for me. Why not chuck that on the club website instead of telling the STV version of Chris Jack?

Somewhat similar to after the 2016 Scottish Cup final when they had full deflection mode on and had a bunch of journalists claiming several of their players were attacked, something which was later denied by almost everyone actually involved on the day.

Not that I think Rangers making a public statement online on either Saturday or Sunday would have made the tiniest bit of difference.

1 minute ago, Leith Green said:

I dont imagine that St Johnstone had to "get the ok" from anyone to send out this message on twitter which covered the stadium and lack of any celebration.

image.png.5e6250cf833031cc03c2bd2ac6b14422.png

Just how was that message from Gerrard disseminated?

And was it cemented via all the different social medias that Rangers use?

I know the answer to that one.

But, aye - thats the governments fault.

That St Johnstone twitter message of course famously prevented a gathering at the stadium

Just now, theoriginalhedge said:

Can the rangers not just hold up their hands and admit that they were in the wrong instead of blaming all and sundry every time some criticism is levelled at them ?  

What happened was wrong  and no level of whataboutery will change that in the eyes of the non football minded public. 

What happened was wrong, but John Swinney blatantly lied (or, was at least not informed) when he made the statement about Rangers’ silence.

Just now, AJF said:

What difference does it make that those words were spoken by the manager and played over the tannoy at Ibrox to the actual fans that were there? It makes no difference, they got the message. To suggest that not tweeting about it is some kind of failing is clutching at straws mate.

Well, I was thinking about being able to demonstrate through actions taken that they did all they could to help disperse the crowds.

But maybe that’s too advanced a concept to understand.

Just now, kent_don said:

Well, I was thinking about being able to demonstrate through actions taken that they did all they could to help disperse the crowds.

But maybe that’s too advanced a concept to understand.

It’s not that advanced mate, I’m just struggling to see your logic of fans getting the message from source A = good but fans getting the message from source B = bad.

3 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Aye, I for one won't sleep tonight until there's an apology issued from Rangers FC. 🙄 

I'm sure that if Rangers had issued a Tweet asking supporters to go home, last night's event at George Square wouldn't have happened. 

1 minute ago, AJF said:

What happened was wrong, but John Swinney blatantly lied (or, was at least not informed) when he made the statement about Rangers’ silence.

Dinnae be daft.

Clubs use twitter to communicate instantly with fans as a rule - look at all the stuff Rangers sent out yesterday celebrating the - well deserved - league win.

It wouldnt have been too tricky to send out one paragraph telling the idiots to stay at home - then they would be completely off the hook instead of doing the usual "everyone hates us" schtick.

3 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Rangers leaking this through an extremely sympathetic journalist rather than doing so publicly themselves raises eyebrows for me. Why not chuck that on the club website instead of telling the STV version of Chris Jack?

Somewhat similar to after the 2016 Scottish Cup final when they had full deflection mode on and had a bunch of journalists claiming several of their players were attacked, something which was later denied by almost everyone actually involved on the day.

Not that I think Rangers making a public statement online on either Saturday or Sunday would have made the tiniest bit of difference.

The Club did release a statement earlier where they mentioned they’d been in dialogue with all the different stakeholders throughout to maintain a cohesive message. This is just giving further detail to the steps taken.

1 minute ago, Leith Green said:

Dinnae be daft.

Clubs use twitter to communicate instantly with fans as a rule - look at all the stuff Rangers sent out yesterday celebrating the - well deserved - league win.

It wouldnt have been too tricky to send out one paragraph telling the idiots to stay at home - then they would be completely off the hook instead of doing the usual "everyone hates us" schtick.

But I’ve still to have it explained to me why a Twitter message telling fans to stay home is seen as some kind of benchmark compared to Gerrard stating fans should adhere to the guidelines and a tannoy announcement reiterating that message to the fans that did turn up. Why is a tweet held in such high regard when the message was already released with input from the SG and police?

2 minutes ago, AJF said:

The Club did release a statement earlier where they mentioned they’d been in dialogue with all the different stakeholders throughout to maintain a cohesive message. This is just giving further detail to the steps taken.

Is that the one that started

"During the last number of weeks................"

No being funny but that statement looked like it was written by a 5 year old............

1 minute ago, AJF said:

But I’ve still to have it explained to me why a Twitter message telling fans to stay home is seen as some kind of benchmark compared to Gerrard stating fans should adhere to the guidelines and a tannoy announcement reiterating that message to the fans that did turn up. Why is a tweet held in such high regard when the message was already released with input from the SG and police?

How was the message "released"?

Just now, Leith Green said:

Is that the one that started

"During the last number of weeks................"

No being funny but that statement looked like it was written by a 5 year old............

They still released a statement though, which is what the question was about, regardless of how poorly worded it was 😂

Rangers fans have all turned a bit Celtic-y here. 1 day after they secure their first trophy worth celebrating in a decade, and they're spending their time making up shite excuses just to avoid criticising fans of their club.

Mask has truly slipped off a few the moment success came back, eh.

Police Scotland have released a statement condemning Rangers for not doing more:

https://www.scotland.police.uk/what-s-happening/news/2021/march/statement-from-dcc-malcolm-graham-on-football-fans-gathering-in-glasgow/

Deputy Chief Constable Malcolm Graham said: “The behaviour which we saw at the weekend was disgraceful and I utterly condemn the individuals who chose to completely disregard the coronavirus regulations, putting both the wider community and our officers at risk.

“I also strongly condemn the lack of support from Rangers Football Club over the messages we repeatedly asked them to put out to persuade fans not to go out celebrating and encourage those who did gather in large numbers to return home.

“We’ve been planning for the conclusion of the football season for some time since the league was allowed to resume and the sport is in a very privileged position given the restrictions seen across the country for almost a year.

“It was very clear through the lack of messaging that Rangers did not take seriously their responsibilities in terms of seeking to persuade their fans to celebrate safely and responsibly.

“I commend the officers who delivered a policing operation which was entirely consistent with our approach throughout this pandemic to maintain public safety and minimise disorder, disruption and damage to property.

“They did this faced with considerable danger, all of which was completely unnecessary and avoidable.

“Where large numbers of people gather at an unplanned event such as this we use established crowd control measures to ensure we are keeping the public safe and manage those who are refusing to disperse.

“We will work with football clubs, local authorities and the Scottish Government to ensure we do everything we can to persuade people that none of these scenes can be repeated as the football season continues.”

Edited by Ludo*1

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Rangers fans have all turned a bit Celtic-y here. 1 day after they secure their first trophy worth celebrating in a decade, and they're spending their time making up shite excuses just to avoid criticising fans of their club.

Mask has truly slipped off a few the moment success came back, eh.

A week is a long time in Pie and Bovril it seems: