Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2023/24

This reminds me of the weak reporting around the time of the last Morelos rumour: taking the last number mentioned in connection with a player and labelling that amount as "the fee".

Rangers simply don't have £7m to spend right now, and barely have the up-front part of it (a third to a half). They ran out of money several months before the season ticket money started come in last season, and still have a substantial, high-interest repayment to make for the loan they took out. As well as liabilities to Ashley, it's worth remembering that last season's need for "expensive finance" was in the context of a season where they took in much more European money than could have been reasonably expected. They will almost certainly require another usurious loan this season.

So everything points to yet another "going concern" note by the auditors this year. I'd be very surprised if there isn't one.

In that case, why is £7m being quoted, and can it be substantiated? Well, the only source that has to tell the truth about the amount (or not comment on it) is Rangers. So I went to see what they say and found "an undisclosed amount" being quoted on the official website. Which, of course, makes perfect sense: they don't have the £3m [sic] going spare, and Kent is more of a problem than an asset to Liverpool after the Brugge deal fell through. The only thing that makes sense to Liverpool is a sale, and they aren't hard up for a few million.

Facts as we know them

Kent has signed for Rangers.

Non-facts as we know them

Rangers paid £7m.

(IMHO, probably a good signing for Rangers; it's just the reporting that is - as usual - frustratingly lazy.

1 hour ago, The_Judge said:

There's no way Lafferty will be capped by Mexico at this late stage.

Looking at the quotes in the paper today, I'd suggest he is more interested in lining up Colombian.

😂  a team full with the likes of Messi, Hazards, Modric, Virgil van Dijk and Yaya Toure cant win a single trophy in Scotland...must have a really shite manager?

Its the hope that kills them...well that and not paying  her majesty...

Edited by Bohemian