Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2023/24

Just now, Squonk said:

I sleep sound at night in the knowledge that my diddy club is in rude financial health and has never gone into liquidation, nor is it ever likely to.

You, on the other hand, will live the rest of your life in the sure and certain knowledge that, not only did you let your club die, but everybody, including yourself, knows you let it die. As if that's not bad enough, you'll have to pretend until your dying breath that it really doesn't bother you in the slightest.

I'll leave you in peace from now on as I'm sure you've got primary school in the morning.

Aye it definitely doesn't bother you.

7 minutes ago, steelmen said:

What is the issue with the Australian game? It’s just a friendly that is going to pay a lot of money to both teams?

Mountain out of a molehill for me. If you don't like it, don't go or purchase it.

It's an easy few million for the club to play a few bounce games.

Edited by bennett

14 minutes ago, steelmen said:

What is the issue with the Australian game? It’s just a friendly that is going to pay a lot of money to both teams?

I think there are a few factors as to why fans oppose it.

Firstly, it is pretty tinpot. I always laughed at EPL teams facing each other in pre-season friendlies. It just seems to diminish any rivalry and moves towards the casual/tourist market.

Secondly, we would be facing a club that refuses to even type our name in their communications. Fans that demanded an apology from one of their directors for his eulogy about Walter Smith. Some Rangers fans see it as us enabling them to make money on the back of a rivalry they claim they are not part of.

Thirdly, as Celtic announced it before anyone else did, we're now playing catch up and it's already been billed as Ange's homecoming with us tagging along.

I think protesting against it is entirely valid as by simply deciding not to attend it does not correct all of the above points.

4 minutes ago, AJF said:

Firstly, it is pretty tinpot. I always laughed at EPL teams facing each other in pre-season friendlies. It just seems to diminish any rivalry and moves towards the casual/tourist market.

Secondly, we would be facing a club that refuses to even type our name in their communications. Fans that demanded an apology from one of their directors for his eulogy about Walter Smith. Some Rangers fans see it as us enabling them to make money on the back of a rivalry they claim they are not part of.

Thirdly, as Celtic announced it before anyone else did, we're now playing catch up and it's already been billed as Ange's homecoming with us tagging along.

I think protesting against it is entirely valid as by simply deciding not to attend it does not correct all of the above points.

They're the bigger team. No idea why you guys wouldn't be tagging along.

4 minutes ago, AJF said:

Yet the club needs the money so will go where the money is because if recent history tells us anything is that they can’t rely on those fans currently complaining to put their hands in their pockets to pull them out of the shit

38 minutes ago, bennett said:

Mountain out of a molehill for me. If you don't like it, don't go or purchase it.

It's an easy few million for the club to play a few bounce games.

^^^

Has already bought his 'Ange's Homecoming' half and half scarf.

16 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Yet the club needs the money so will go where the money is

I'm sure the club would've been just fine without it. This is bonus revenue they wouldn't have budgeted for.

Couldn’t be arsed with the game, don’t mind either way.
Don’t particularly mind the fan protests and can’t begrudge people making their voices heard, but the ‘ah if we sing the old songbook the board’ll have to cave’ lot can get into the fucking sea. 

9 minutes ago, AJF said:

I'm sure the club would've been just fine without it. This is bonus revenue they wouldn't have budgeted for.

If your posting 24 million quid losses then it would suggest your budgeting strategy is fubar and all revenue becomes necessary and not a bonus.

You fellas really don’t seem to learn do you? 

3 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

If your posting 24 million quid losses then it would suggest your budgeting strategy is fubar and all revenue becomes necessary and not a bonus.

You fellas really don’t seem to learn do you? 

And if posting losses automatically meant that a club was unable to function, then I'd understand your point.

11 minutes ago, AJF said:

And if posting losses automatically meant that a club was unable to function, then I'd understand your point.

These are losses that amount to more than half of your annual turnover, you think that’s sustainable or is a functional way to operate your business? We are also about to hit the worst recession in a generation or 2 which will impact your revenue and operating expenses further.

So again you fellas don’t seem to learn do you?

kyle broflovski head in sand GIF by South Park

Edited by Jinky67

5 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

These are losses that amount to more than half of your annual turnover, you think that’s sustainable or is a functional way to operate your business? We are also about to hit the worst recession in a generation or 2 which will impact your revenue and operating expenses further.

So again you fellas don’t seem to learn do you?

kyle broflovski head in sand GIF by South Park

Nobody has said it is sustainable, I've even said the opposite on here multiple times. But there is a stark difference between "needing" the Aussie friendly money and "wanting" the Aussie friendly money. As long as there is an undertaking from the club's investors to cover any losses sustained until we change our operating model, then no matter how hard you paint this as us "needing" this cash or else, it doesn't really suit your narrative.

32 minutes ago, AJF said:

As long as there is an undertaking from the club's investors to cover any losses sustained until we change our operating model, then no matter how hard you paint this as us "needing" this cash or else, it doesn't really suit your narrative.

Heard this line a few times and whilst you guys keep swallowing this shite that investors will keep swallowing losses it will be the undertaker your club needs (again) and not an undertaking.

24 million loses and it’s a shrug of the shoulders….wild

I’m with @bennett on this. Why Rangers supporters in Scotland are getting so exercised about it baffles me.

It’s an away trip in November, it’s not going to influence the outcome of any meaningful competition. We’ve got players on chunky wages, why not maximise their work to increase club revenue? 

The club pisses me off no end with their attempts to monetise every single opportunity with a marketing email trying to sell me something about the most trivial but that, frankly, is where we are if we want to be paying big wages to big players to compete in big competitions. We don’t have a Sky EPL deal. 

The most tinpot idea is protesting about something that yields a tangible financial benefit while offering up nothing better as an alternative. 

Edited by alta-pete

Both clubs have a sizeable support in Australia so it makes sense to have a friendly there. Tinpot would be trying to play a league game there like the English league ( and Spanish???)

You face that club all the time and fans might not like it but you are a package deal (2 cheeks etc) both boards know it and seem to embrace it

Yeah I’ll give you that one, interesting if ange is gone before the games played.

I just think protesting about a friendly that your club is making a fair amount of money off is strange… it’s a friendly. Got to agree with Bennet on this one, blown way out of proportion

I saw that Dave king is willing to pay the penalty clause to pull out of it… really desperate to sell those shares!

9 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

I’m with @bennett on this. Why Rangers supporters in Scotland are getting so exercised about it baffles me.

It’s an away trip in November, it’s not going to influence the outcome of any meaningful competition. We’ve got players on chunky wages, why not maximise their work to increase club revenue? 

The club pisses me off no end with their attempts to monetise every single opportunity with a marketing email trying to sell me something about the most trivial but that, frankly, is where we are if we want to be paying big wages to big players to compete in big competitions. We don’t have a Sky EPL deal. 

The most tinpot idea is protesting about something that yields a tangible financial benefit while offering up nothing better as an alternative. 

Hard to argue with that. Damn

2 hours ago, AJF said:

That’s just petty shite. You do realise that you’re playing that team three times in the next few weeks and I haven’t seen a single protest about that.