Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2023/24

1 minute ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Would not just be easier to blame the morons that were involved?

Yeah, whatever perceived failings people feel there might’ve been, it’s not really an excuse for what went on. The police will be aware they can’t stop a mass gathering on that kind of scale, they just need to do their best to contain it and arrest those guilty of the most serious offences.

If they tried to forcibly move everyone on then it would no doubt escalate the situation even further. Damned if they do, damned if they don’t.

1 minute ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Would not just be easier to blame the morons that were involved?

Yes , but the police knew this was going to happen after the last time ... would have been far easier to tell folk your not gathering here while dealing with the law breakers instead of allowing it to grow into something that they couldn’t control ....

3 minutes ago, AJF said:

Yeah, whatever perceived failings people feel there might’ve been, it’s not really an excuse for what went on. The police will be aware they can’t stop a mass gathering on that kind of scale, they just need to do their best to contain it and arrest those guilty of the most serious offences.

If they tried to forcibly move everyone on then it would no doubt escalate the situation even further. Damned if they do, damned if they don’t.

Thousands  of folk didn’t arrive at the same time .. they arrived in smaller groups.. the police could have started moving on the early arrivers while releasing social media and press statements telling folk not to come 

Edited by G51 Red

1 minute ago, Andre Drazen said:

The police knew this was all going to happen, even to the point of even saying so. Instead of businesses having to close because of the scum, the police should have actually did their fucking jobs.

^^^THIS ^^^

Just now, G51 Red said:

Thousands  of folk didn’t arrive at the same time .. they arrived in smaller groups.. the police could have started moving on the early arrivers while releasing social media and press statements telling folk not to come 

I really don’t think they have the resources to do that. Short of frog marching people out of the city centre, how do they enforce a stay away order? Fans would just head round the block and join in 100 yards down the road. Press statements and social media posts achieve next to nothing as we’ve seen on numerous occasions this season. They’ve got my sympathy as I think it was an impossible task. Containing fans as much as possible and nicking the most serious offenders was the lesser of two evils.

18 minutes ago, CCB19035 said:

Why is it always a "small mintority" every time this pish happens. They must have one of the biggest small minorities going. 

Both Celtic and Rangers have used this as the cover-all soundbite for as long as anyone can remember. It's has the benefits of being factually correct, saves them confronting the latest embarrassment in any meaningful way and is scarcely challenged in the media - perfect!

2 minutes ago, CCB19035 said:

To try and give you perspective that isn't blinded by your love of the institution. 

So you're spending your time trying to educate the people you detest so much. 

How noble of you. Shame your perspective can normally be filed under the "seething mess" category. Can't imagine it's sincerley benefitting anyone. 

4 minutes ago, CCB19035 said:

So you agree, Rangers fans are entitled c***s that nobody has a hope in hell of reasoning with? 

Good conclusion. 

No doubt quite a few of them are. Whilst it wasn’t my cup of tea, I don’t have a major issue with the fans that turned up and enjoyed themselves peacefully. It’s the others that couldn’t do that I take issue with.

22 minutes ago, AJF said:

I really don’t think they have the resources to do that. Short of frog marching people out of the city centre, how do they enforce a stay away order? Fans would just head round the block and join in 100 yards down the road. Press statements and social media posts achieve next to nothing as we’ve seen on numerous occasions this season. They’ve got my sympathy as I think it was an impossible task. Containing fans as much as possible and nicking the most serious offenders was the lesser of two evils.

I’m not talking about the city centre.. I’m saying that they should have not allowed such a large group to gather at Ibrox in the first place ... 

From The Herald's report on the high spirits by a small minority;

'Scottish FA president Rod Petrie said: "While the majority of the club’s fan base will have celebrated this achievement safely and in line with Covid-19 guidelines across the country and beyond, the scenes witnessed in and around Glasgow’s George Square have brought embarrassment to the national game."'

"the majority of the club’s fan base will have celebrated this achievement safely and in line with Covid-19 guidelines across the country and beyond"

This is code for 'After thousands of their feral supporters tried to destroy a city at the weekend, one of my two employing organisations told me to start out by praising the, ahem, majority of their supporters for splendid behaviour we have no evidence for'

"the scenes witnessed in and around Glasgow’s George Square have brought embarrassment to the national game.""

This is code for '...have brought embarrassment to The Rangers International Football Club in all it's manifestations but it's in my contract never to attribute any blame to them or the other lot, so I'm putting the shame on the rest of you instead. MWAHAHAHAHAHA!'

7 minutes ago, CCB19035 said:

I don't hate Rangers fans individually. I have friends who are Rangers fans. I detest the club, and the "staunch" fans who are stuck in the past. Which unfortunately, counts for much among the support. Apologists like yourself I also dislike, you view a criticism of Rangers fans/your club as an attack on yourself, as many do. You can't separate objective criticism from personal criticism. 

I dont think you're attacking me at all. I think you're a hate fuelled simpleton that is effectively shouting into the void. This is a section of the forum for Rangers fans to discuss their club and you spend all your time in here waffling on about bigotry and generally coming across as a reprobate. There are plenty of other threads where it would be more welcomed.

4 minutes ago, G51 Red said:

I’m not talking about the city centre.. I’m saying that they should have not allowed such a large group to gather at Ibrox in the first place ... 

I think the same applies though wherever they originally gathered. It’s a large open space, the police simply do not have the ability to disperse or prevent that amount of people gathering.