Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2023/24

11 minutes ago, G51 said:

Both those guys were done by the time they hit Scotland. Ramsey is still hitting elite output metrics and that’s in Serie A.

The Telegraph is reporting that we’re paying a fraction of his €100k a week wages. Combined with the quotes from Wilson on the website about the wage structure and I’m inclined to believe that’s a lot closer to the truth than the idea that we’re paying 500k a month or whatever daft number people are talking about.

The injuries are the major concern. Outside of that…

Juninho was the same age as Ramsay when he signed for Celtic 😉

What elite output metrics are you referring to? Something like 70 minutes of football in the past 3 months so really unsure how it’s possible to attain any sort of meaningful measure of performance with so little game time 🤷‍♂️

We have had some good players on short terms loans till the end of the season though Robbie Keane and Craig Bellamy being the big 2 who both done well. Hopefully Ramsay is successful as those 2 were in Scotland 😉

How old are you? 
Don’t you remember Ravanelli and Caniggia at Dundee? [emoji23]
And as much as it pains me to say this comes nowhere close to Rangers signing Gazza 

More like the Ronald deBoer signing IMO, than Gascoigne.

He has anywhere near the same impact as deBoer Rangers will be delighted.

30 minutes ago, G51 said:

Ramsey is still hitting elite output metrics and that’s in Serie A.

This pish…

1 hour ago, G51 said:

Not been on much lately and that will likely continue for the foreseeable

Makes this news rather joyous.

11 minutes ago, gaz5 said:

More like the Ronald deBoer signing IMO, than Gascoigne.

He has anywhere near the same impact as deBoer Rangers will be delighted.

Need to agree to disagree on the one. I genuinely couldn’t believe when i heard Gazza signed for Rangers especially a Gazza at the height of his powers. He was a bonafide superstar imo

Need to agree to disagree on the one. I genuinely couldn’t believe when i heard Gazza signed for Rangers especially a Gazza at the height of his powers. He was a bonafide superstar imo

I think you're agreeing, rather than disagreeing. [emoji39]

I'm saying that Gazza was a bigger coup, and that Ramsey is more like the deBoer signing in that it is a very good player, just beyond his prime (might even be the same age) that should stand out in Scotland, like deBoer did, than Gazza, a bonefide superstar at the time signing in his prime.

14 hours ago, thepundit said:

Looks like the Souttar deal won’t be completed today as Rangers are apparently refusing to increase the original £300k offer..

With the Champs League pot of gold awaiting the league winners I think it would have been worth paying Hearts’ asking fee which was reported to be £500k. We are very light at centre back.

Goldson, Balogan, Helander, Bassey, King, Simpson and we were able to recall Katic if we wished but apart from them you are correct. We are short of centre backs!! 

4 minutes ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

Aye.  Off the bench to get a treble against us it is

We can only hope!

3 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

And so it begins 

I think it was always going to be the case with him just recovered from injury. He won't be match sharp.

9 minutes ago, AJF said:

We can only hope!

I think it was always going to be the case with him just recovered from injury. He won't be match sharp.

Putting out elite output metrics according @G51 😉

This is why i question to logic to this signing. There are what 15 games left and this is the biggest game of this season so far and he isn’t fit to participate? If you paid the money for Souttar he makes a difference right now not in a couple of weeks time when he’s match fit. 

For once i’m glad it’s us that hasn’t taken this sort of risk

3 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Putting out elite output metrics according @G51 😉

This is why i question to logic to this signing. There are what 15 games left and this is the biggest game of this season so far and he isn’t fit to participate? If you paid the money for Souttar he makes a difference right now not in a couple of weeks time when he’s match fit. 

For once i’m glad it’s us that hasn’t taken this sort of risk

But you've framed that as if getting in Ramsey meant we couldn't get in Souttar, which isn't the case. We just didn't meet Hearts valuation for a player we will now get for free, albeit 6 months later.

You could also apply your logic of him missing the biggest game of the season to other signings. For example, Celtic signing Japanese players knowing full well all or some of them would potentially miss tomorrow's match. That is surely the same level of logic?

And I've already accepted there is a level of risk regarding keeping him fit. His ability though outweighs that for me.

8 minutes ago, AJF said:

But you've framed that as if getting in Ramsey meant we couldn't get in Souttar, which isn't the case. We just didn't meet Hearts valuation for a player we will now get for free, albeit 6 months later.

You could also apply your logic of him missing the biggest game of the season to other signings. For example, Celtic signing Japanese players knowing full well all or some of them would potentially miss tomorrow's match. That is surely the same level of logic?

And I've already accepted there is a level of risk regarding keeping him fit. His ability though outweighs that for me.

I always find it strange when you post about sevco you always compare it to what Celtic is doing as if it's the same thing.
Sevco have no control over what happens with Soutter now which is also a gamble.
There is nothing wrong with having good players at the club it just comes down to their contribution M8.
There is a lot of football still to be played, tomorrows game isn't the biggest game of the season. 

36 minutes ago, AJF said:

We had big games before this game to which the Japanese lads and O’Riley have already made a positive impact and earned us important points and were fit and available from the day they signed. 

We had to get to this game 1st still within touching distance and our new signings have helped us do that so the logic imo is very different and there is a much clearer longer term plan for these boys.

I feel have seen this movie a few times before however i’ve yet to see one with a happy ending however like i said i’m glad it’s not us this time and i’m also glad he won’t factor tomorrow which obviously goes without saying

21 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

I always find it strange when you post about sevco you always compare it to what Celtic is doing as if it's the same thing.
Sevco have no control over what happens with Soutter now which is also a gamble.
There is nothing wrong with having good players at the club it just comes down to their contribution M8.
There is a lot of football still to be played, tomorrows game isn't the biggest game of the season. 

I compare our situation to Celtic's because I am often responding to points made by Celtic fans that are usually critical of the things we do despite overlooking glaring similarities in what they do. Also it wasn't me that first used the term "biggest game of the season", I was addressing the point made by Jinky who did use it.

10 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

We had big games before this game to which the Japanese lads and O’Riley have already made a positive impact and earned us important points and were fit and available from the day they signed. 

We had to get to this game 1st still within touching distance and our new signings have helped us do that so the logic imo is very different and there is a much clearer longer term plan for these boys.

I feel have seen this movie a few times before however i’ve yet to see one with a happy ending however like i said i’m glad it’s not us this time and i’m also glad he won’t factor tomorrow which obviously goes without saying

But your criticism wasn't about when we brought in Ramsey, was it? It was criticising that he was set to miss tomorrow's game so I think you are being a bit unfair to try and make it out as if that wasn't what your criticism was. And Celtic have done the exact same, signing players despite knowing there was a good chance they'd miss tomorrow's match.

So you are now justifying your criticism of Ramsey missing tomorrow's match by saying that should a Celtic player miss tomorrow's match it's fine because they've already played prior to it?

Edited by AJF

So in terms of our transfer window and the positions we needed to strengthen;

Out:

• Barker (LW) - (Mutual Consent)
  • Defoe (ST) - (Free Agent)
  • Bacuna (CM) - (Fee undisclosed)
  • Patterson (RB) - (£12m - £4m addons)
  • Kelly (CM) - (Loan - Salford)
  • Hastie (RW) - (Loan - Linfield)
  • Williamson (CM) - (Loan - Raith Rovers)

Injured:

• Hagi (CM/RW) - End of Season
  • Davis (CM) - TBD?
  • Helander (CB) - TBD?
  • Balogun (CB) - TBD?
  • Ofoborh (CM) - TBD?

In: 

• Souttar (CB) - (Pre-contract)
  • Sands (CDM) - (Loan - Option to Buy)
  • Ramsey (CM) - (£2m Loan - Option to Buy?)
  • Diallo (RW) - (Loan)
  • Zukowski (RB) - (£2m)

Seems like we've come out of January slightly stronger. Patterson's replaced with Zukowski as the deputy right back, but we've now got funds and have overcome that £10m mark for transfers. Diallo as the RW player we needed before Hagi's injury, Ramsey in as the short term replacement for Hagi?

Sands has seemed tidy in the two games, will be interesting to see how Gio brings him on. Don't know if he's meant to free Kamara up more or to act as the back up to the shuttler role that Jack was doing before his injury. Was half tempted to put Jack in as a new signing.

Souttar not coming this window is maybe an indication that one or both of Helander and Balogun will be back full time sooner rather than later? I don't mind the Bassey at CB experiment but I'd rather have him at LB challenging Borna, he adds a different dimension to our play. Might also be why Simpson didn't leave this window as well, though I know a lot of people wanted him out.

Kelly and Williamson both youth loans that seem normal in the circumstances. Kelly to Salford invites a lot of media attention though. 

Seems such a waste for Hastie. Him and Jones just seem like ridiculous punts now. Turnbull shows you can find value in the Scottish market, and we need to start doing that more, at least for Europe at any rate.

Lot of deadwood cut too, Barker needed to leave to get football, there's definitely a player there but f**k knows. Bacuna doing the revolving door routine feels harsh but the club probably need to be a bit more cuthroat with these things. Defoe going is a concern, he still added something I think.

Lundstram, Itten, Simpson are probably the next on the block this summer? Would leave us needing to find a striker, right winger and a central midfielder, which given the World Cup might be a slightly easier sell than normal for attacking players.