Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2023/24

37 minutes ago, AJF said:

Seems to be gaining some traction anyway after that article, and some of the "in the know" twitter accounts seem to be laying the foundations that a formal approach will be imminent.

As I've said before, I think Gerrard would be a bit silly not to consider it if the offer does come in. Not an ideal time for us to change our coaching team, but he'd go with my best wishes.

The author of the article got quite a few things right for Villa in the same. Including the Bailey transfer. It's a credible report that they are making an approach but I can't see him going for it. It's all up to him anyway as there isn't really anyway we could feasibly refuse him the chance if he wanted it.

I doubt very much that there would be much truth in an English Premier League club wanting Gerrard given his record up here. He has been here for three and a half years, put Rangers millions of pounds further into debt and has one trophy, albeit the one that he had to win, to show for it. One trophy. Do Rangers fans on here truly see him as a success simply because he stopped the ten-in-a-row. Ignoring Europe, he has competed for nine Scottish trophies and been successful once.

24 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I doubt very much that there would be much truth in an English Premier League club wanting Gerrard given his record up here. He has been here for three and a half years, put Rangers millions of pounds further into debt and has one trophy, albeit the one that he had to win, to show for it. One trophy. Do Rangers fans on here truly see him as a success simply because he stopped the ten-in-a-row. Ignoring Europe, he has competed for nine Scottish trophies and been successful once.

Yes. I absolutely see him as a success. Of course, it would've been nice to have won more and our domestic cup record will need to improve, but the "one trophy" chat ignores the context behind his appointment, the shambles he inherited and the gap there was (and still is, financially anyway) between us and Celtic. It also implies equal importance to all 9 trophies when that really isn't the case.

If we consider our last 5 seasons worth of Points Per Game tally, it shows a clear and obvious improvement:

16/17: 1.76 PPG

17/18: 1.84 PPG

*Gerrard Appointed*

18/19: 2.05 PPG

19/20: 2.31 PPG

20/21: 2.68 PPG

Secondly, why would we ignore Europe? We were a laughing stock after being eliminated by Progres. Since then, we have qualified for the Europa League group stage each year which has allowed us to invest more in the playing squad as a result which no doubt contributed towards us winning the title last season.

While it's not been a flawless A+ performance, I think Gerrard's approval ratings with the fans will be extremely high. I will also add, though, that the way we are set up, I think relies heavily on the influence of his backroom staff. They work well collectively as a coaching team and I don't think our improvement is solely down to Gerrard - far from it, in fact.

So aye, I think the 1 trophy in 9 chat is disingenuous, because we all know that if, hypothetically, Gerrard's tenure at Rangers finished with, say 3 cup wins but no league wins, then he'd likely have been out of a job in the summer.

Edited by AJF

3 minutes ago, Empty It said:
9 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar Tier 3 said:
In all seriousness if Gerrard were to go, it would be interesting to see who Rangers 2012 would want.

Would need to be a good unionist man. Nigel Farage?

A good Unionist football man. Douglas Ross.

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

Do Rangers fans on here truly see him as a success simply because he stopped the ten-in-a-row. Ignoring Europe, he has competed for nine Scottish trophies and been successful once.

Old Firm fans don't celebrate trophy wins because they've won them, they celebrate because they've denied the other half it.

Stopping Celtic winning something major means more to most Rangers fans than actually winning the league itself.