Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2023/24

An absolute legend of the game. 'Nuff said.

smith-mad.gif

Characters like Walter are lost from the game forever and, in my opinion, that's a loss that has added to the safe and sterile nature of modern football.

As well as his many successes at Rangers (not least the 92/93 Champion League run and the 2008 UEFA Cup final) and his admirable job of stabilising Scotland and pushing them back up the ranking post-Berti, he should also be remebered as an integral part of the Dundee United golden age of the 80s and, whether it was Mexico or Manchester, he was the man Fergie called upon more than once in his career.

_49079114_smith_ferguson_466.jpg

No matter what, Scottish football will never forget him and we'll sadly never see his likes again.

1 hour ago, Hoose Rice said:

I'm talking more about their forum tbh.  Got sent a link and it's vile as feck.  And it's the majority. 

Won't argue about your statement,but fact is that is a clique site full of opionated precious morons who for the most part trade insults with each other.They are not representative of the Aberdeen support ,best to leave the morons to it and stay off it.

RIP Walter sincere condolences to the family.

55 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

There's been a few that have got me.  I've actually felt the need to explain to my wife that, no, i didn't know him personally, but it feels like a death in the family.

Not that any Rangers fans have more or less of a claim to their memories of Walter, but I'm 42, my childhood years and formative time as a Rangers fan was watching Graeme Souness and then Walters Rangers sides.  I grew up knowing nothing other than us winning, which a generation of Rangers fans before me probably couldn't say in the same way.

There will never be another person that shapes a club the way he did.

Hey - I'm that generation (well 20 years) before you - and no - we couldn't say the same.  We had our lows (I was at Ibrox to see us humped 1-3 by Gornik to seal the fate of Davie White) and we had our highs (I started work in 1977 so the first treble season under Jock Wallace was my first one paying my own way and I went to every home game and I though football would never get better) and, of course, we had Barca '72 under The Deedle.  But none of the managers I knew - even Souness - imprinted their character on the club in the way that Walter did in his two terms with us.

It sounds a bit trite but it really is like your favourite uncle or older cousin - whom you've always looked up to - has been taken from you.

10 minutes ago, Gorgie greatness said:

Great manager for rangers & Scotland, still remember the 98 cup final where he hung around applauding the hearts team.

RIP WS. 

I think Ally mentioned that in his Talksport video.  Or someone did on Twitter, I can't remember. 

Sent champagne to the dressing room afterwards. 

It would be disingenuous for me to post a gushing tribute to the man when I can’t say I would’ve done so prior to today but that afc chat thread is disgraceful and shameful. It’s a horrible wee forum as most one club forums are but it’s not representative. 

33 minutes ago, ken es said:

Won't argue about your statement,but fact is that is a clique site full of opionated precious morons who for the most part trade insults with each other.They are not representative of the Aberdeen support ,best to leave the morons to it and stay off it.

RIP Walter sincere condolences to the family.

Fair play, thanks for explaining. 

Even leaving the vast achievements he had at Rangers aside, Smiths Scotland team for the 2006 World Cup qualifiers were the first time I really believed in a Scotland team. I only came of age during the Vogts era, which was mostly fucking miserable (1-0 playoff win vs Netherlands aside, though it just made the second leg all the more crushing). We obviously fell short, but the 06 and 08 qualifying campaigns that Smith was partly responsible for were some of my favourite campaigns.

The France game will never be forgotten. Can still remember watching it clear as day.