Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2023/24

5 minutes ago, German Jag said:

I have no opinion on what the Star used as a headline about a game in SA more than a decade ago.  Why should I?

In the context of this discussion, which is Scotland and Scottish football, The H Word has been unacceptable for years.  That we have posters, many of whom regard themselves as moral guardians of the forum, still using it is execrable.

21 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

The H word has become an unacceptable slur and her use of it was enough for her employment to be terminated. 

Only the bigoted and the ignorant cling on to it for dear life.

It’s amazing on pie and Bovril . Some people will argue to the hilt that there is nothing offensive or wrong about the H word at all .

Despite  anti- sectarian groups in Scotland advising that the word is indeed sectarian and offensive. 

they bleat and moan about Rangers fans and how all us Rangers fans on pie and Bovril should hang our heads in eternal shame for the actions of others yet when this simple fact their favourite pet word has wider connotations they simply refuse to accept it or some just decide to use it even more in response . 

yet they expect to have a serious adult conversation on the matter 🤣

Edited by Forever_blueco

I think there are arguments for and against the H word being considered sectarian or not.

There is also a legal ruling from 2008 which determined a Celtic fan wearing a t-shirt with an offensive slogan using the H word was religiously aggravated breach of the peace.

Similarly a man in Aberdeen was convicted of making sectarian remarks to a couple in a McDonalds restaurant, using the H word in his verbal assaults. So it is far from clear cut in my opinion.

sources:

https://www.heraldscotland.com/default_content/12374233.celtic-fan-court-t-shirt-jibe/

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/news/local/court/aberdeen-man-fined-over-sectarian-rant-about-facemasks-in-mcdonalds/amp/

17 minutes ago, Forever_blueco said:

It’s amazing on pie and Bovril . Some people will argue to the hilt that there is nothing offensive or wrong about the H word at all .

Despite  anti- sectarian groups in Scotland advising that the word is indeed sectarian and offensive. 

they bleat and moan about Rangers fans and how all us Rangers fans on pie and Bovril should hang our heads in eternal shame for the actions of others yet when this simple fact their favourite pet word has wider connotations they simply refuse to accept it or some just decide to use it even more in response . 

yet they expect to have a serious adult conversation on the matter 🤣

Anybody who expects to have a serious adult conversation on P&B - with the exception of the Depression thread, the Pregnancy & Parenting thread and the Quiz thread - is sadly deluded, imho.

12 minutes ago, Forever_blueco said:

They also think that pointing out their own calumny is to excuse our own fans' behaviour.  It isn't.  We obviously have a problem - as many of us have acknowledged on here for years.  This is why we post on a multi-team forum rather than on FF or RM.

5 minutes ago, AJF said:

I think there are arguments for and against the H word being considered sectarian or not.

The term has become unacceptable and should be excised from our forum - which is generally an excellent place doing a good job in being inclusive.

There is no argument against. 

Edited by The_Kincardine

14 minutes ago, AJF said:

There is also a legal ruling from 2008 which determined a Celtic fan wearing a t-shirt with an offensive slogan using the H word was religiously aggravated breach of the peace.

Similarly a man in Aberdeen was convicted of making sectarian remarks to a couple in a McDonalds restaurant, using the H word in his verbal assaults. So it is far from clear cut in my opinion.

sources:

https://www.heraldscotland.com/default_content/12374233.celtic-fan-court-t-shirt-jibe/

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/news/local/court/aberdeen-man-fined-over-sectarian-rant-about-facemasks-in-mcdonalds/amp/

Fwiw I do believe that most use the term as a slang name for Rangers and Rangers only as it is something they have heard and picked up over the years. I just find there refusal to believe or accept that there is a deeper meaning connected to the word baffling when it is pointed out to them. 

I don’t think this is the case when it comes to a lot of Celtic support and particularly their groups with links to support of armed Irish republicanism. They know exactly what they mean when they bring flags and displays like this into the ground 

13F732D2-BE9D-499A-86C5-39DE91F61956.jpeg

Edited by Forever_blueco

Really disappointing that the collective Rangers support has been handed the opportunity to rid itself of the sectarianism and racism that blights their club and rid it from their foundations. Instead, they've rallied together, grabbed their pitchforks, unified as one and decided their message should be, 'Aye, but what about them?!?!'

Sickening.

1 hour ago, The_Kincardine said:

The H word has become an unacceptable slur and her use of it was enough for her employment to be terminated. 

Only the bigoted and the ignorant cling on to it for dear life.

Is the term 'Orcs' OK?  No sectarian undertones?  I'd settle for Orcs.

Guest TheJTS98

The problem with calling the word '***' sectarian, is that it is often used by Scottish protestants, like me, to describe Rangers.

It's simply common parlance. I couldn't care less if Celtic fans try to get a rise out of us by calling us mini-****. The implication is that we are a smaller Rangers. That's quite clearly the point they're hilariously trying to make.

It's absolutely ludicrous for anybody from Scotland to try and portray the word as something that is sectarian in nature. Rangers are just the ****. Even the meaning and implication of the term is very clear.

The idea it is a bigoted term is purely an internet-age phenomenon because Rangers fans aren't allowed to say '******'. It's a completely false equivalence dreamed up by the kind of people who run the podcast that is the focus of the week and want to be able to say 'whit aboot thaaaaiiim'.

Edited by TheJTS98