Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2023/24

11 minutes ago, G51 said:

That’s Defoe away.

Leaves with a scoring record of a goal every 99 minutes. Pretty good.

Excellent goal scoring rate and seemed a real professional. Well regarded going by the statement issued and I'm glad he got to taste some success in his time here.

1 minute ago, Orbix said:

That volley against Livi? is one of the best I've ever seen us score. Over the shoulder, doesn't break stride, completely controls it and cushions it into the net.

I was just thinking of that goal. Unbelievable technique.

Shame, even though he’s 40. Really liked him. On more than a couple of occasions over the past couple of years I’d picked him as last goal scorer, he’d come off the bench and run rings round a tired defence. Was getting ridiculous -sometimes bet365 would have him odds on when he wasn’t even on the bench! 

2 minutes ago, Orbix said:

That volley against Livi? is one of the best I've ever seen us score. Over the shoulder, doesn't break stride, completely controls it and cushions it into the net.

We scored at least four goal of the decade contenders last year (Defoe v Livi, Tav v Dundee Utd, Roofe vs Liege, Jack vs County) and I reckon that goal was the best of them. The most satisfying goal to watch.

1 hour ago, Merkland Red said:

Surprised it took so long for Defoe to leave. Was bizarre putting on English football and seeing him there as a pundit when Rangers were playing on another channel.

Money would have been a factor. Defoe had 6 months left on his contract which must have been paid up at least in part.

I'd thought that Gerrard might take him to Villa to coach the strikers. It's still a possibility but he'll get plenty of offers.

Sorry to see Defoe go, but he's obviously not featuring in GVB's plans. As has been said already, his goal against Livi is one of the best I've ever seen us score.  Seems like a sound c**t as well.

Have to say I'm quite happy to see Ced the Ted return for a bit of the GVBXperience as I was disappointed that he was allowed to leave on loan. I think there's a handy player in there. 

The thought of him and Sakala starting against Motherwell is amazing. They could both end up joint top scorers in the league even if they don't score a single goal against anyone else. 

1 hour ago, KnightswoodVanBear said:

Sorry to see Defoe go, but he's obviously not featuring in GVB's plans. As has been said already, his goal against Livi is one of the best I've ever seen us score.  Seems like a sound c**t as well.

Have to say I'm quite happy to see Ced the Ted return for a bit of the GVBXperience as I was disappointed that he was allowed to leave on loan. I think there's a handy player in there. 

The thought of him and Sakala starting against Motherwell is amazing. They could both end up joint top scorers in the league even if they don't score a single goal against anyone else. 

In hindsight, despite being well into his twilight years, I actually think Gerrard might’ve missed and trick with Defoe and he should’ve perhaps played more minutes than he actually did. Didn’t realise I seen his stats today but 34 goals in 72 games is a ridiculous return for a bit-part player/coach on the verge of drawing his pension.

However, I think his departure off the back of Gerrard’s was inevitable and taking nothing away from Defoe, having an ex player of Roy Makaay’s experience on board is most likely an upgrade. 

Glad to see big Ced back as well. Like you said, always seemed a handy player to have and always had the feeling there was possibly more of a player in him than we might’ve seen. Fingers crossed that a bit of Gio-ball has Ibrox singing “Itten’s old but Itten’s beautiful…” in the near future.

52 minutes ago, AJF said:

That's Sky Sports now reporting Souttar is set to sign a pre-contract with us as well.

If they can afford to twist Hearts arm, I’d spend the money and get him in just now, same as they did with Scott Wright so he’s able to play a part but bedded in sooner with a view to next season.

RANGERS Football Club are today delighted to announce the signing of John Souttar on a pre-contract agreement from Heart of Midlothian.

Central defender Souttar, 25, is a full Scotland international, and both started and scored in the Scots’ last match where they defeated Denmark at Hampden.

He began his career at Dundee United, and was their youngest ever player when he made his debut in a 2-2 draw with Aberdeen at Pittodrie, aged just 16 and 99 days. In all, he made 73 appearances for the Tangerines, before departing for Hearts in the 2016 January transfer window.

He has since gone on to make 148 appearances for the Tynecastle club, and has scored five goals. His superb form this season earned him a recall to the Scotland squad, and he won his fourth cap in the win over the Danes at the tail end of last year.

Rangers’ Sporting Director, Ross Wilson, commented: “We are really looking forward to John joining Rangers and continuing his development under Gio, our coaching and support staff.

“John is a full Scotland international and has so much potential ahead for the coming years. I have really enjoyed getting to know John across all of our conversations so far and I can see how excited he and his family are to be joining Rangers. We are equally excited to welcome John to Ibrox