Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2023/24

1 hour ago, wastecoatwilly said:

If any manager had signed 40 players you would expect some improvement FFS.

Has it not been pointed out, quite a few times, that there has been improvement year on year already? 

I could have sworn I seen it once or twice on every one of the last five or so pages. 

1 hour ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Slippy G has signed about 40 players in 3 years it's interesting posting about win ratio's and PPG but play station pish isn't real life.
If any manager had signed 40 players you would expect some improvement FFS.
The problem with sevco over the last 3 years is the short term outlook buying experience with no sell on value.
The over 30's may increase the PPG but don't have the legs for the full season plus are more injury prone.
Caxinha bought Morelos the best sell-able asset Slippy G hasn't matched that yet,relying on the European dosh  can only get you so far.
Balogun and Defoe are on one year deals Davis and McGregor have maybe one year left rebuilding the squad every year gives the impression there is improvement but winning nothing proves there isn't.
Heard a lot of rangers fans and fans on here saying Lennon was sevco best signing we may slip up in a cup in a one off game but over 38 games Celtic still set the bar. 

The number of signings under Murty and Caixinha was probably comparable in numbers to Gerrard though, at least, it wouldn't be far off anyway.

I think Gerrard has tried to get a balance of potential vs. experience. For example the players you've quoted in Balogun, Defoe, Davis and McGregor are also balanced with signings like Kamara (24), Barisic (27), Aribo (24) who are all yet to hit their prime but are internationalists with their countries and have good immediate sell on potential.

Then you have slightly younger players like Kent, Hagi and now Itten who they will be hoping to develop and eventually sell on at a profit as well.

I think he has had to bring in more experienced players, certainly in the early days of his Rangers career, to try and get consistency.

Edited by AJF

1 hour ago, AJF said:

The number of signings under Murty and Caixinha was probably comparable in numbers to Gerrard though, at least, it wouldn't be far off anyway.

I think Gerrard has tried to get a balance of potential vs. experience. For example the players you've quoted in Balogun, Defoe, Davis and McGregor are also balanced with signings like Kamara (24), Barisic (27), Aribo (24) who are all yet to hit their prime but are internationalists with their countries and have good immediate sell on potential.

Then you have slightly younger players like Kent, Hagi and now Itten who they will be hoping to develop and eventually sell on at a profit as well.

I think he has had to bring in more experienced players, certainly in the early days of his Rangers career, to try and get consistency.

So you see it as a successful period even thou he has not won anything plus no young talent has broken into the first team from the youth? 

16 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

So you see it as a successful period even thou he has not won anything plus no young talent has broken into the first team from the youth? 

You have to factor in how rotten the traditional main opposition to the duopoly has been in the past two years. Hearts, atrocious for their budget, Hibs a bad slump from season 17/18 and then very poor under Hecky, Aberdeen, not much better. It's been easy for Slipper to improve on Pedro's tenure, plus he has a bigger budget to keep him happy.  But as you say, still won nowt and no youth products.

Edited by Snifter Pee Rot

20 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

If the majority of the support wasn't happy then they'd be quick enough to say so, it's the best we've on and off the pitch in years. You have to remember where we've been and what's happened to the club to understand the feelings of the fans.

Off field issues have hampered us for years,  we're finally getting things sorted.

46 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

I never said we have been successful, I said we have improved.

I feel we are heading in the right direction, but it's going to be very difficult to compete with Celtic in the short term due to various factors.

8 minutes ago, AJF said:

I never said we have been successful, I said we have improved.

I feel we are heading in the right direction, but it's going to be very difficult to compete with Celtic in the short term due to various factors.

I think it's very easy to say you've improved,  I can say Motherwell and Livingstone have improved but the expectation is higher at sevco or is it?
There comes a point where sevco are just another diddy club and the monopoly will just carry on.
Celtic fans want a challenge not for just half a season, so far it's been pretty tame how long is this piece of string?

20 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

I think it's very easy to say you've improved,  I can say Motherwell and Livingstone have improved but the expectation is higher at sevco or is it?
There comes a point where sevco are just another diddy club and the monopoly will just carry on.
Celtic fans want a challenge not for just half a season, so far it's been pretty tame how long is this piece of string?

It’s easy to say we’ve improved because it’s a fact. That’s why it’s easy.

Of course the expectation is higher and Rangers fans will be expecting the team to challenge for trophies, but the circumstances are wholly different to 8 or 9 years ago and the fans appreciate that, which is why Gerrard is being afforded some slack.

Be thankful for small mercies. If it was Celtic playing, Pat Bonner would be referring to them as 'Boyata LarssonViduka'.

True

Really does annoy me that these tv companies employ some of the most dim witted of ex players to co com on their games.

They are no doubt paying good money and these guys don’t don’t do one lick of research.

Anyways, apologies about the rant.

Back to the game

Watching a stream - Commentators don't seem German but they're not speaking English and they are absolutely pissing themselves laughing. I don't know what at, but it's better than Alex Rae and it's infectious.