Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2023/24

Rangers shouldve moved on from the likes of Morelos after the league win.

Theyve badly needed a reset for years, arguably even before that season IMO, but instead just stick by what worked that season. Beale will probably do decent with them but theyll never truly prosper because hes going to follow Gerrards lead and make them functional more than anything. Against this Celtic side thats not enough, but if/when they dip it will be, so maybe that'll be enough for Rangers fans.

As a non-OF fan, i always think they should have teams that have you sitting back sometimes just thinking theres nothing your team can really do to stop. You get that with Celtic where they just fire 4/5 quick passes around you then slot it in. Rangers havent been like that for years IMO, and its holding them back. A manager, and team, that can play exciting football at pace should be the new minimum for OF sides considering how weak the rest of the division is in comparison. 

4 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I thought you made a fair point. But it is likely that at one point in time you received a bid that in hindsight you’d probably wish they accepted. 

If I was running rangers, I’d be moving on from Morelos. Guy is a good player but takes the piss with his selecting when he decided to be fit or make effort. 

But then again if I was running rangers I’d probably be too busy asset stripping and preparing for liquidation to care. 

Good point. Tbf to Morelos and his agent they’ve played a blinder if the Seville rumours are true.

There are players with arguably more ability than him that will play their whole careers in Scotland due to lack of ambition or drive.

Don't see how not cashing in was a financial mistake tbh. They won the league and gained Champions League group stage football. Would they have really have achieved that if they had sold him a few years ago? 

The financial mistakes have been the shite signings they have made.

23 minutes ago, AJF said:

Way to go for missing the point.

Ok but what you are after here is some sort of gotcha to accept there was a bid for Morelos when it doesn’t really matter as losing him for nothing considering the context of Rangers continued losses and the financial gap you keep complaining about IS the gotcha.

59 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Ok but what you are after here is some sort of gotcha to accept there was a bid for Morelos when it doesn’t really matter as losing him for nothing considering the context of Rangers continued losses and the financial gap you keep complaining about IS the gotcha.

No what he was after is the same people who were saying there was never a bid and laughing at the thought of it will now be laughing at the fact he has signed a PCA and they should have sold him when they had the chance - unaware they were the same people saying there wasn't a bid.

1 hour ago, Derry Alli said:

No what he was after is the same people who were saying there was never a bid and laughing at the thought of it will now be laughing at the fact he has signed a PCA and they should have sold him when they had the chance - unaware they were the same people saying there wasn't a bid.

Bingo 

On 10/03/2023 at 21:48, Renfrewblue said:

Met Super Ally once when he was buying a tumble dryer. I was buying one too and thought he was lifting mine when the lad brought it through from the storeroom. 

Think I’ve told this story before on here where I took my pal up to my golf course one Friday morning. McCoist is a member of the same club and as we were taking our clubs out the boot McCoist drove in to the car park in his big black Audi A8. My pal is a big Rangers fan and was asking me if it would be alright to go over and ask for a picture. Before we had even finished that conversation McCoist was right beside us, asking how we were, when we were teeing off, making small talk about the weather etc. My pal got a picture with him at the end up and couldn’t believe it was him that actually approached us :lol:  

Derek McInnes is a member of the same club but he doesn’t say much when you see him around. McCoist is absolutely sound though, literally goes out his way to come over and have a chat.  

6 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

Isn't that the boy they got from Millwall?

Aye. Young English striker signed for 6 figures. By all accounts he was really highly rated down there.

Hes one of 9 non-Scots in the Rangers B side, which is being used by clubs as evidence B sides are great for developing young Scottish players as they try and push through a new 5th tier filled with them.

8 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

I wondered what happened to him and just assumed he'd stayed at Millwall for the season. Why the f**k are the likes of Arfield still getting game time if he's kicking about. :lol:

Aye, Rangers spent big (relatively) in the last 12/18 months stocking up their youth team, youd assume the plan was to have some breaking through by now to replace the old guard.

Charlie McCann the first prominent one to leave as they didnt see a pathway, but you wonder about others. Folk like Leon King, Adam Devine, Alex Lowry, Zak Lovelace and Robbie Ure should be getting chances just now. Rangers are finishing 2nd regardless so why not? Whats the benefit to playing folk who are away this Summer for nothing and/or folk in the mid/late 30s?

Rangers just feel stuck in a rut where they cant move past their title winning squad. 

22 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Aye, Rangers spent big (relatively) in the last 12/18 months stocking up their youth team, youd assume the plan was to have some breaking through by now to replace the old guard.

Charlie McCann the first prominent one to leave as they didnt see a pathway, but you wonder about others. Folk like Leon King, Adam Devine, Alex Lowry, Zak Lovelace and Robbie Ure should be getting chances just now. Rangers are finishing 2nd regardless so why not? Whats the benefit to playing folk who are away this Summer for nothing and/or folk in the mid/late 30s?

Rangers just feel stuck in a rut where they cant move past their title winning squad. 

That’s a fair assessment. We’ve needed a refresh for at least 2 seasons now so hopefully it’ll begin this summer.

It’s likely we will see the likes of McGregor, Davis, Arfield, Helander, Kent and Morelos leave this summer with Jack, Roofe and Kamara also in the frame though I reckon they might stay.

So there will be a huge clear out and a fresh looking squad next season. It all depends how much is invested to replace the outgoing players and to what extent any youth products are used to supplement the squad as well.

Lowry is a strange one as he has generally impressed when he has played but there’s rumours that he has a poor attitude and his recent injury issues haven’t helped.

King got a run when we had horrendous injuries in defence but I’m not sure he is quite ready to be a regular despite some big teams rumoured to be monitoring him.

The others are a bit unknown (although Devine came in for a few steady-ish appearances).

3 minutes ago, AJF said:

Lowry is a strange one as he has generally impressed when he has played but there’s rumours that he has a poor attitude and his recent injury issues haven’t helped.

King got a run when we had horrendous injuries in defence but I’m not sure he is quite ready to be a regular despite some big teams rumoured to be monitoring him.

The others are a bit unknown (although Devine came in for a few steady-ish appearances).

Aye not saying theyre good enough, but just find it weird how they arent getting a chance in the league.

Like there is literally nothing to lose in giving them a run. Tavernier is run into the ground every season, is there any reason not to drop him for a game and give Devine a go? Dont bring Arfield off the bench but give Lowry a shot? Etc.

1 hour ago, AJF said:

That’s a fair assessment. We’ve needed a refresh for at least 2 seasons now so hopefully it’ll begin this summer.

It’s likely we will see the likes of McGregor, Davis, Arfield, Helander, Kent and Morelos leave this summer with Jack, Roofe and Kamara also in the frame though I reckon they might stay.

So there will be a huge clear out and a fresh looking squad next season. It all depends how much is invested to replace the outgoing players and to what extent any youth products are used to supplement the squad as well.

King had a massive touch of Porteous about him.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Aye not saying theyre good enough, but just find it weird how they arent getting a chance in the league.

Like there is literally nothing to lose in giving them a run. Tavernier is run into the ground every season, is there any reason not to drop him for a game and give Devine a go? Dont bring Arfield off the bench but give Lowry a shot? Etc.

Coincidentally this just popped up on my Twitter feed. Seems like it’s not a great time to be a Scottish youngster at many clubs which is a shame 

Some media gossip circulating that some elite clubs are sniffing around Bailey Rice.

My only glimpse of him was when he came on against Livingston last month (making him our youngest post-war league player).

16 year old midfielder that spent a couple of years in the Motherwell academy before joining our development side last summer. Seems to be highly rated with a good amount of Scotland U17 caps.