Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2023/24

It was a great achievement for sure and a great run, thoroughly enjoyed it however the crux of the matter is we were still the 2nd best team in Scotland that year and loosing to Rangers that year stung and even if we won the Uefa cup final we would still only have been the 2nd best team in Scotland. [emoji2369]

For someone I generally consider to be quite a sensible poster, this is an absolutely wild take.

Rangers and Celtic fight it out for domestic honours every season, no one else has a sniff. It's a 2 horse raise in a backwater league, by all comparison to European competition.

In my lifetime, Only Aberdeen (that I was too young to remember), other than Rangers or Celtic, have lifted our top league trophy. And I'm wrong side of 40.

Conversely, in that time, I've seen one of them reach a European final now 3 times.

Celtic reaching the final was a monumental achievement, as was Rangers previously (especially considering some of the players they had at the time). Rangers reaching it again is also a massive achievement.

Had either of you won it previously, as with Rangers in a weeks time, it would then and will this time eclipse anything done domestically given footballing backwater that we are.

I understand why Celtic fans don't agree with that, like Rangers fans wouldn't have had Celtic won it, but the reality is that either of you lifting a European trophy is the equivalent of Dundee lifting the SPFL. You'll never convince non Old Firm fans that your 372nd SPFL title in the last 10 minutes is more important or a bigger achievement than a European trophy.

Rangers don't win it right enough.......

59 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

Probably due to being a better achievement. 

Whether Rangers win or lose in Seville, given some of the sides defeated en route coupled with Stevie G’s mid-season departure completely disrupting and unsettling the squad; just getting to the Europa final is bigger than winning the Scottish Premier League (unfortunately).

Not sure you’ll be saying that if you’re competing in the Europa next season and we’re in the champions league group stage, and the rewards that go with it. Rangers have done amazing to get where they are but they have to finish the job imo. 

26 minutes ago, gaz5 said:

For someone I generally consider to be quite a sensible poster, this is an absolutely wild take.

Rangers and Celtic fight it out for domestic honours every season, no one else has a sniff. It's a 2 horse raise in a backwater league, by all comparison to European competition.

In my lifetime, Only Aberdeen (that I was too young to remember), other than Rangers or Celtic, have lifted our top league trophy. And I'm wrong side of 40.

Conversely, in that time, I've seen one of them reach a European final now 3 times.

Celtic reaching the final was a monumental achievement, as was Rangers previously (especially considering some of the players they had at the time). Rangers reaching it again is also a massive achievement.

Had either of you won it previously, as with Rangers in a weeks time, it would then and will this time eclipse anything done domestically given footballing backwater that we are.

I understand why Celtic fans don't agree with that, like Rangers fans wouldn't have had Celtic won it, but the reality is that either of you lifting a European trophy is the equivalent of Dundee lifting the SPFL. You'll never convince non Old Firm fans that your 372nd SPFL title in the last 10 minutes is more important or a bigger achievement than a European trophy.

Rangers don't win it right enough.......

Rangers won a treble that year they were the best team in Scotland you just can’t argue that point nor are you likely to find many Rangers fans accepting our Uefa Cup run was a better achievement.

We were great in the Uefa Cup and had some outstanding wins the Liverpool result at Anfield being our equivalent to Rangers beating Dortmund and the win away at Boavista is one of the best nights of my life but i’m not arguing if it’s a bigger or better achievement i’m more taking exception at the notion winning the league is now meaningless if one is us reach a Euro final. It isn’t not should it be because of the opportunity afforded to the league winners to better themselves.

Ultimately what’s better doesn’t really matter, what matters is it elevates the league and as i’ve said before holds other clubs mostly Celtic to account to improve in Europe and that’s a good thing. 

Edited by Jinky67

1 hour ago, 8MileBU said:

Probably due to being a better achievement. 

Whether Rangers win or lose in Seville, given some of the sides defeated en route coupled with Stevie G’s mid-season departure completely disrupting and unsettling the squad; just getting to the Europa final is bigger than winning the Scottish Premier League (unfortunately).

I won’t argue on that. Sadly the Premier League is now dung - Celtic have more than double the points of the 4th placed team. It’s embarrassing.

Edited by Grangemouth Bairn

Are Celtic fans on here seriously trying to claim winning another meaningless SPFL title is even close to winning the Europa? Even getting to the final smashes anything that could be accomplished in the two bigot horse race in Scotland.

13 minutes ago, Empty It said:

Are Celtic fans on here seriously trying to claim winning another meaningless SPFL title is even close to winning the Europa? Even getting to the final smashes anything that could be accomplished in the two bigot horse race in Scotland.

3 hours ago, Henrik's tongue said:

Btw, the only folk that I can see rattling on about “better achievements” on Pie & Bovril are Rangers fans.

No.

21 minutes ago, Empty It said:

Not that I’ve seen. IMO I Would rather win the title and get to the champions league than reach the Europa final, winning the Europa is a different matter altogether as it gets you the glory and the champions league riches. 

42 minutes ago, Orbix said:

Rangers doing their best for the wider community and keeping those Celtic fans occupied. 

The fact this is getting released tomorrow with little advance notice at all makes me wonder if we are being forced into wearing it for the europa final due to some crazy kit clash or something 😂

Edited by AJF

6 minutes ago, AJF said:

The fact this is getting released tomorrow with little advance notice at all makes me wonder if we are being forced into wearing it for the europa final due to some crazy kit clash or something 😂

Prob just a huge money making chance, I’m sure we released our following seasons kit ahead of Seville to cash in. 

53 minutes ago, AJF said:

Precisely whats being rumoured to be the case. UEFA saying blue and black clash. Can’t wear blue home. Away kit is black. Can’t wear away kit. Third kit is lilac and black. Can’t wear third kit. Frankfurt play in black and allegedly refusing to budge since they’re the “home side” and fair enough really. You’d think Rangers could have proposed and UEFA would agree to let them wear this seasons white 150 years kit though. 

26 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

The orcs will need something staunch for their holidays to Seville, lets fleece them with something they simply cannot resist....

^^^ Regular at Dundee Utd.

Edited by 8MileBU

2 hours ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I won’t argue on that. Sadly the Premier League is now dung - Celtic have more than double the points of the 4th placed team. It’s embarrassing.

Sadly indeed. There’ll be a minority of the staunchest of Rangers and Celtic fans who are happy with the annual two horse race, but the vast majority of both sets of fans would bite your hand off for a more competitive, entertaining league. 

Something I’ve never quite been able to fathom (and particularly in the 80s and 90s when there wasn’t a massive gulf between Scotland and England’s top divisions) is why there’s never been any notably serious wealthy interest in the likes of Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs. 

The fact this is getting released tomorrow with little advance notice at all makes me wonder if we are being forced into wearing it for the europa final due to some crazy kit clash or something [emoji23]

Pretty sure I saw somewhere that as rangers are the away team then Frankfurt have first choice on what kit to wear… so you could be right.

Edit quick google search shows their home kit is the same as your away kit. So 3rd kit it will be.

2 hours ago, steelmen said:

Pretty sure I saw somewhere that as rangers are the away team then Frankfurt have first choice on what kit to wear… so you could be right.

Edit quick google search shows their home kit is the same as your away kit. So 3rd kit it will be.

It seems as if Frankfurt’s first strip is all black and their away strip is all red. Why is a third strip even being mentioned, apart from the elephant in the room of course.

11 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

It seems as if Frankfurt’s first strip is all black and their away strip is all red. Why is a third strip even being mentioned, apart from the elephant in the room of course.

Now now joey, it’s a uefa enforced kit clash and this is the only option. Don’t argue. 

The chat seemed to be that Rangers blue might be a clash with Frankfurts black. Don’t see any reason why they can’t just wear white shorts with that horrible purple third kit they already have though.

Going by the Colour of Football Instagram account, these are the different kits and combinations that Rangers registered with UEFA at the start of the season;

EzmN1sO.jpg

The away is obviously out if Frankfurt get to go with their home kit. Seeing some people saying that the third way there, all blue and white topped might be allowed but not sure. Don’t know about how much UEFA would lean on Frankfurt/what the rules say given that there are no clashes between their away and any of the Rangers kits.

ky2ey4g.jpg

The chat seemed to be that Rangers blue might be a clash with Frankfurts black. Don’t see any reason why they can’t just wear white shorts with that horrible purple third kit they already have though.
I'm sure I read somewhere that was the original plan but Uefa are keen on teams on wearing all one colour, as seen at work cups etc when France are in all blue etc, which I personally hate, and all purple a bit too close to the black, don't know why they can't wear there all white strip they had for there centenary or whatever it was. But apparently Frankfurt aren't budging and are wearing there home strip