Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2023/24

8 minutes ago, AJF said:

I compare our situation to Celtic's because I am often responding to points made by Celtic fans that are usually critical of the things we do despite overlooking glaring similarities in what they do. Also it wasn't me that first used the term "biggest game of the season", I was addressing the point made by Jinky who did use it.

But your criticism wasn't about when we brought in Ramsey, was it? It was criticising that he was set to miss tomorrow's game so I think you are being a bit unfair to try and make it out as if that wasn't what your criticism was. And Celtic have done the exact same, signing players they knew there was a good chance they'd miss tomorrow's match.

So you are now justifying your criticism of Ramsey missing tomorrow's match by saying that should a Celtic player miss tomorrow's match it's fine because they've already played prior to it?

I think the problem is because we're Celtic fans we 're being critical of your club but that is not the case in this debate.
Take a wee step back M8.

Just now, wastecoatwilly said:

I think the problem is because we're Celtic fans we 're being critical of your club but that is not the case in this debate.
Take a wee step back M8.

I was responding to a comment that was 100% being critical of our decision to sign Ramsey 😂

And I get that, I share some of the concerns around his fitness. I'm just not a follower of the view that it was not sound logic to bring him in just because he will miss tomorrow's match.

2 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Dying @ "elite output metrics"

Yea that screams of being a bit of a miserable, joyless way to look at the game to me; maybe im just a filthy casual fan but the basics - clean sheets and goals scored - are about as in depth as i can be arsed going these days tbh. 

Enjoying Celtic fans saying they can't understand spending £2m on Ramsay if he can't make an impact after their club spent £4.5m on Starfelt who has made as good an impact as thon Southern Irish boy they brought in last season. 

4 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Enjoying Celtic fans saying they can't understand spending £2m on Ramsay if he can't make an impact after their club spent £4.5m on Starfelt who has made as good an impact as thon Southern Irish boy they brought in last season. 

Yeah our goals scored against this season really backs up that argument

17 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Yea that screams of being a bit of a miserable, joyless way to look at the game to me; maybe im just a filthy casual fan but the basics - clean sheets and goals scored - are about as in depth as i can be arsed going these days tbh. 

Mention of assists when evaluating players should trigger an immediate hard drive inspection.

17 minutes ago, AJF said:

I was responding to a comment that was 100% being critical of our decision to sign Ramsey 😂

And I get that, I share some of the concerns around his fitness. I'm just not a follower of the view that it was not sound logic to bring him in just because he will miss tomorrow's match.

I think every fans knows Ramsey is a good player,the concern not criticism will be his contribution.
You said he won't be playing tomorrow based on his interview it's not a red flag yet M8.

48 minutes ago, AJF said:

I compare our situation to Celtic's because I am often responding to points made by Celtic fans that are usually critical of the things we do despite overlooking glaring similarities in what they do. Also it wasn't me that first used the term "biggest game of the season", I was addressing the point made by Jinky who did use it.

But your criticism wasn't about when we brought in Ramsey, was it? It was criticising that he was set to miss tomorrow's game so I think you are being a bit unfair to try and make it out as if that wasn't what your criticism was. And Celtic have done the exact same, signing players they knew there was a good chance they'd miss tomorrow's match.

So you are now justifying your criticism of Ramsey missing tomorrow's match by saying that should a Celtic player miss tomorrow's match it's fine because they've already played prior to it?

My “criticism” is you are bringing in a player who isn’t good to go when every single point from here on in is vital. Diallo is a quality player who is good to go and makes an immediate impact. Ramsay can’t do that from the stands so yeah apologies for not getting it.

You shifted the lens to Celtic and tried to compare a player being unfit to one being on international duty it isn’t the same thing. These guys were good to go from day 1 which is what’s required when signing players in January. 

Aaron Ramsay is an outstanding footballer when fit….which it appears he isn’t that’s the point and it’s a fair one to be critical of but time will obviously tell.

And on your other point it doesn’t look like Maeda will play a part today so he’s likely to be available tomorrow if just from the bench 

Update on that last point the sub who came in for Minamino has just got injured so Maeda on for the last 20 😂 Tempted fate there 😞

Edited by Jinky67

In terms of the youth, players in the B squad that I think will be given some time in the cups and the run-in;

Alegria,

McCann

Lowry

King

Weston (This is really an outside shot, but he has played professionally already)

That seems a healthy output from the academy side, unless there's someone I'm missing. Alegria especially deserves some kind of shot, I'd rather see 'Morelos, Roofe, Alegria' as the three forwards in a matchday squad at the moment.

8 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

My “criticism” is you are bringing in a player who isn’t good to go when every single point from here on in is vital. Diallo is a quality player who is good to go and makes an immediate impact. Ramsay can’t do that from the stands so yeah apologies for not getting it.

You shifted the lens to Celtic and tried to compare a player being unfit to one being on international duty it isn’t the same thing. These guys were good to go from day 1 which is what’s required when signing players in January. 

Aaron Ramsay is an outstanding footballer when fit….which it appears he isn’t that’s the point and it’s a fair one to be critical of but time will obviously tell.

And on your other point it doesn’t look like Maeda will play a part today so he’s likely to be available tomorrow if just from the bench 👍

I think we will need to agree to disagree, then. I have no objections regarding questions being raised surrounding Ramsey's overall fitness, that is not what I was getting at. I was more so contesting the view that the signing was somehow not logical because he was not going to be available for "the biggest game of the season" tomorrow.

That's where I drew the comparison to Celtic signing players that would also potentially miss the match. Regardless if they'd miss the match through fitness or through international duty, they still knowingly signed them despite a high chance some may have missed out. If that is not clear, then I don't really know what more there is to say.

45 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Yeah our goals scored against this season really backs up that argument

He's cost you in games which is exactly why you're not top of the league, despite spending an absolute fortune (in terms of Scottish football). 

Nobody expects a back line costing nigh on £15m to concede consistently against sides built up of free agents. 

13 hours ago, Jinky67 said:

Juninho was the same age as Ramsay when he signed for Celtic 😉

What elite output metrics are you referring to? Something like 70 minutes of football in the past 3 months so really unsure how it’s possible to attain any sort of meaningful measure of performance with so little game time 🤷‍♂️

We have had some good players on short terms loans till the end of the season though Robbie Keane and Craig Bellamy being the big 2 who both done well. Hopefully Ramsay is successful as those 2 were in Scotland 😉

Rewriting history. Keane and Bellamy were brought in to win leagues .. failed miserably. 

All I remember of Keane is him shitting himself from Kevin Thomson 

Just now, AB1872 said:

Rewriting history. Keane and Bellamy were brought in to win leagues .. failed miserably. 

All I remember of Keane is him shitting himself from Kevin Thomson 

Hence the point i hope Ramsay is as successful as Keane and Bellamy.

Flew over your head i take it?

1 hour ago, Mr. Alli said:

I know. We should all leave Dundee alone. Oh wait……..

4 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

He's cost you in games which is exactly why you're not top of the league, despite spending an absolute fortune (in terms of Scottish football). 

Nobody expects a back line costing nigh on £15m to concede consistently against sides built up of free agents. 

Which game did he cost us in exactly? You could say he was at fault for the 1st Hearts goal on the 1st day but that's it and it wasn't that alone that cost us the points that day. He wasn't at fault for Helanders goal as it wasn't his man, the Livingston game it was Welsh at fault, the draw vs Dundee Utd is was Ralston that got done there. The other games we dropped points were both 0-0

So of all the goals we have conceded he has been at fault for just the 1. Again hardly backs up your point

52 minutes ago, Orbix said:

In terms of the youth, players in the B squad that I think will be given some time in the cups and the run-in;

Alegria,

McCann

Lowry

King

Weston (This is really an outside shot, but he has played professionally already)

That seems a healthy output from the academy side, unless there's someone I'm missing. Alegria especially deserves some kind of shot, I'd rather see 'Morelos, Roofe, Alegria' as the three forwards in a matchday squad at the moment.

Have you watched the B team? Algeria is not going to be anywhere near our frontline! He’s a flat track bully who’s still well short of what’s needed at first team level 

McCann , Lowry and King have all been involved with the first team. Weston is a possibility and a wee outside shout is Arron Lyall who travelled away in Europe when squad was hit by Covid 

So when it is his fault, it isn't just his fault but when it is someone else's fault, it isn't his fault. 

He's been poor most of the season (just as Duffy was but at least he was scoring semi regular) and it has been said numerous times over but again, still, Aaron Ramsey isn't fit to play tomorrow so Starfelt has been a good signing.