Jump to content

Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2022-2023


Recommended Posts

In all seriousness, can someone please explain the sporting integrity argument here? I really don’t get how rangers are hard done by other than they fancied playing at parkhead without fans. 
Because Rangers are always hard done by regardless of the situation, you should know this by now.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rangers have confirmed the B team derby against Celtic at Ibrox on December 31st has been postponed until a later, unknown date because they want a large amount of fans in attendance.

The Govan side have been selling tickets for the encounter in the Scottish Lowland Football League. Tommy McIntyre’s Bhoys will now have to wait until 2022 to play their city rivals.

A statement from the Light Blues said: "Rangers can confirm that the Old Firm B team game scheduled on 31st December has been postponed. 

"Tickets purchased can be retained and used for the revised fixture. A new date will be communicated in due course. 

38C1EE89-CA71-4BF8-ADD6-29A56971A6CD.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AB1872 said:

Rangers were one of only two clubs that wanted all the games played! Absolutely no reason whatsoever to bring winter break forward! Fans will not be back for these games. Fans won’t be back until we’ll into March if at all this season!
 

Yet again your club sided with Celtic. 

If we get crowds in for the next Celtic match at Pittodrie, you will see me and thousands of others in our half and half scarves.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

In all seriousness, can someone please explain the sporting integrity argument here? I really don’t get how rangers are hard done by other than they fancied playing at parkhead without fans. 

The argument is meant to be 'football is nothing without the fans' - which I get.  However, what we have is a bizarre lash-up where only some games in one league have been postponed and all games in three divisions are unaffected.  You can't have integrity - sporting or otherwise - without consistency and what we have is an illogical and inconsistent policy.

Now i have no idea what the inept SPFL were thinking with their policy of selective postponements - but it certainly couldn't have been done with the best interests of football in mind.  It obviously hasn't been done with public health in mind either.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

The argument is meant to be 'football is nothing without the fans' - which I get.  However, what we have is a bizarre lash-up where only some games in one league have been postponed and all games in three divisions are unaffected.  You can't have integrity - sporting or otherwise - without consistency and what we have is an illogical and inconsistent policy.

Now i have no idea what the inept SPFL were thinking with their policy of selective postponements - but it certainly couldn't have been done with the best interests of football in mind.  It obviously hasn't been done with public health in mind either.

The lower leagues have never had a winter break so try again. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

The lower leagues have never had a winter break so try again. 

Doesn't matter.  If you postpone for public health reasons then you apply it to  all leagues and if you postpone because 'football is nothing without the fans' then you don't play yesterday's round of games.

In either case we have a partial policy - not a  policy with integrity.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

In all seriousness, can someone please explain the sporting integrity argument here? I really don’t get how rangers are hard done by other than they fancied playing at parkhead without fans. 

I think McGregor was just using it as an opportunity to get in a little dig pertaining to previous events. He never actually said the decision to bring forward the break lacked sporting integrity.

The question that was posed to him was if rival clubs who had voted to start the winter shutdown after the Boxing Day round of fixtures were looking to gain an advantage for themselves, to which he replied that sporting integrity is a big thing in Scotland so he’d hope not (despite knowing that’s exactly what the motivating factor would’ve been for Rangers voting how they did).

I’d say the quote has been taken slightly out of context.

ETA: I don’t really have much of an issue with how it has played out, just in case anyone believes I am defending the view point that the games should’ve been played regardless.

Edited by AJF
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, The_Kincardine said:

Doesn't matter.  If you postpone for public health reasons then you apply it to  all leagues and if you postpone because 'football is nothing without the fans' then you don't play yesterday's round of games.

In either case we have a partial policy - not a  policy with integrity.

Well it quite clearly wasn’t postponed for public health reasons as there’d be no need to. 

The reason for the partial policy is due to rescheduling that number of games in the remaining time available. All games would’ve been postponed if it was feasible. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, The_Kincardine said:

Doesn't matter.  If you postpone for public health reasons then you apply it to  all leagues and if you postpone because 'football is nothing without the fans' then you don't play yesterday's round of games.

In either case we have a partial policy - not a  policy with integrity.

Whether you like it or not, and you obviously like a conspiracy theory, these games were played yesterday because of Celtic and Rangers. No break was due in the lower leagues, so no break has been taken. A winter break, probably started because of a clamour from Celtic and Rangers all these years ago, was happening in the Premiership in seven days time anyway and it has been brought forward by that number of days. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, AJF said:

I think McGregor was just using it as an opportunity to get in a little dig pertaining to previous events. He never actually said the decision to bring forward the break lacked sporting integrity.

The question that was posed to him was if rival clubs who had voted to start the winter shutdown after the Boxing Day round of fixtures were looking to gain an advantage for themselves, to which he replied that sporting integrity is a big thing in Scotland so he’d hope not (despite knowing that’s exactly what the motivating factor would’ve been for Rangers voting how they did).

I’d say the quote has been taken slightly out of context.

ETA: I don’t really have much of an issue with how it has played out, just in case anyone believes I am defending the view point that the games should’ve been played regardless.

I’m not really talking about mcgregor, his comments were hilariously stupid in or out of context. 

There does appear though to be a general sense of injustice about it and I wanted to know if I was actually missing something other than rangers would’ve preferred to go to an empty parkhead. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I’m not really talking about mcgregor, his comments were hilariously stupid in or out of context. 

There does appear though to be a general sense of injustice about it and I wanted to know if I was actually missing something other than rangers would’ve preferred to go to an empty parkhead. 

Aye, that’s fair enough. Personally I don’t feel as though there has been any anti-Rangers sentiment behind the decision but I know others will feel differently.

I think some are getting caught up with the fact that Celtic were one of the first to publicly call for the break to be moved forward which fits a narrative, but when you consider three proposals were put to a vote (which included Rangers’ preference of not moving the break) then I don’t think logically it can be argued that we’ve been targeted or Celtic have been assisted.

All clubs will have voted for what suits them. The majority preferred this option. I don’t agree that the majority are somehow towing the Celtic line.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

All clubs will vote for what suits them, the driving agenda for some won’t be empty stadiums, like it’s being painted.  The likes of Livi and Dundee play in empty stadiums anyway. 

If Hibs were top of the league, full strength and no covid, they wouldn’t be asking for a break. 

Edited by Mean Gene
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Mean Gene said:

All clubs will vote for what suits them, the driving agenda for some won’t be empty stadiums, like it’s being painted.  The likes of Livi and Dundee play in empty stadiums anyway. 

If Hibs were top of the league, full strength and no covid, they wouldn’t be asking for a break. 

The f*ck*ng break was happening anyway in a week’s time. If there wasn’t a Winter Break scheduled in a week’s time, there would be no break now and all games would have been played in front of 500 fans, apart from Hearts whose technology doesn’t appear to allow them to carry out a ballot of their season ticket holders.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just watched the original footage of this and its literally 10 minutes of hundreds of different Rangers fans all singing that same song, just a minority though. Hope every single one of them are charged.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The f*ck*ng break was happening anyway in a week’s time. If there wasn’t a Winter Break scheduled in a week’s time, there would be no break now and all games would have been played in front of 500 fans, apart from Hearts whose technology doesn’t appear to allow them to carry out a ballot of their season ticket holders.
Celtic wanted it off because they didn't want to play the Old Firm, which they need to win realistically, with their depleted squad against what is a pretty much full strength Rangers.

The delay gives them a chance to get players fit and add to their squad before it happens.

Rangers wanted it in for the same reason. They wanted to play a depleted Celtic and before Aribo, Balogun, Bassey and Morelos (potentially) are away on international duty, which they would (in Morelos case could) be for the rearranged fixture.

Aberdeen didn't want their two largest home gates cut to 500.

Dundee, County, Saints and Livi saw the chance of two less games before a transfer window that could help change their season (Saints in particular).

Ultimately, every club voted for what suited them best for a multitude of reasons dressed up as "but the fans". In 3 weeks when the fans still can't get in we'll not hear that again, it'll start back up and then get on with it.

Ultimately it matters not. It went to a vote and this is what the club's voted for so McGregor and Rangers can suck it up. Ultimately doesn't matter a jot why clubs voted to stop early, only that they did, which is absolutely their right, for whatever reason they see fit.


Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, gaz5 said:

Celtic wanted it off because they didn't want to play the Old Firm, which they need to win realistically, with their depleted squad against what is a pretty much full strength Rangers.

The delay gives them a chance to get players fit and add to their squad before it happens.

Rangers wanted it in for the same reason. They wanted to play a depleted Celtic and before Aribo, Balogun, Bassey and Morelos (potentially) are away on international duty, which they would (in Morelos case could) be for the rearranged fixture.

Aberdeen didn't want their two largest home gates cut to 500.

Dundee, County, Saints and Livi saw the chance of two less games before a transfer window that could help change their season (Saints in particular).

Ultimately, every club voted for what suited them best for a multitude of reasons dressed up as "but the fans". In 3 weeks when the fans still can't get in we'll not hear that again, it'll start back up and then get on with it.

Ultimately it matters not. It went to a vote and this is what the club's voted for so McGregor and Rangers can suck it up. Ultimately doesn't matter a jot why clubs voted to stop early, only that they did, which is absolutely their right, for whatever reason they see fit.

 

Basically, because it makes sense. And if if it wasn’t for Celtic AND Rangers we wouldn’t have played yesterday’s games either.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Basically, because it makes sense. And if if it wasn’t for Celtic AND Rangers we wouldn’t have played yesterday’s games either.
That's subjective.

Personally, I didn't think it made much sense, because the situation is unlikely to be any different in 3 weeks time. Getting another 2 games out the way as scheduled made more sense to me.

But ultimately I don't really GAF as I've no skin in the game, so makes no ends to me.

I only posted in response to the question about why clubs voted a certain way. The answer is self interest. It's nothing to do with "benefit of the fans" as it's being sold.

There's nothing wrong with clubs voting for whatever suits them. They don't even need to give a reason. Just put their cross in the box, count them up and move on.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • The_Kincardine changed the title to Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2022-2023

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...