Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2023/24

18 minutes ago, Ralstonite said:

Aye, I for one won't sleep tonight until there's an apology issued from Rangers FC. 🙄 

I'm sure that if Rangers had issued a Tweet asking supporters to go home, last night's event at George Square wouldn't have happened. 

It's the aftermath I was talking about and I'm positive that was the implication from the Scottish government.   The rangers were asked to comment  on the events and to my knowledge  they haven't

Edited by theoriginalhedge

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Rangers fans have all turned a bit Celtic-y here. 1 day after they secure their first trophy worth celebrating in a decade, and they're spending their time making up shite excuses just to avoid criticising fans of their club.

Mask has truly slipped off a few the moment success came back, eh.

At no point have I condoned the fans actions, I just called out Swinney for talking shite.

Just now, AJF said:

At no point have I condoned the fans actions, I just called out Swinney for talking shite.

Despite slagging me off for mentioning club twitter, you still havent told us how the message was sent from Rangers to tell fans to stay at home on Sunday.

Perhaps posting it on here would help shut up twats like me and J Swinney?

Just now, Leith Green said:

Despite slagging me off for mentioning club twitter, you still havent told us how the message was sent from Rangers to tell fans to stay at home on Sunday.

And the police , going by their statement. 

3 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

7 minutes ago, G51 said:

A week is a long time in Pie and Bovril it seems:

Yeah, I posted that because it's likely what happened. The deafening silence on it now is, by all accounts, because the Daily Record simply made the whole "assault" up as part of their "uncontrollable mob turn up at McDiarmid Park!!!" headline they bizarrely ran with.

Our fans were morons for turning up and that's something I've mentioned multiple times when Rangers fans have used it to try and deflect. I'm fairly sure this is about the 3rd time I've said that very thing to you.

3 minutes ago, AJF said:

The message was included in his Friday press conference. This was posted on Twitter and the club website.

On Friday?

A day before your match?

2 days before Celtic played?

Well in that case, all is fuckin a-ok............................

Over It Ugh GIF

By the way, that is a pre match press conf, not a no specific message (like St J put out) about no celebrations.

Your reaching on this is awful.

Edited by Leith Green

Just now, Leith Green said:

On Friday?

A day before your match?

2 days before Celtic played?

Well in that case, all is fuckin a-ok............................

Over It Ugh GIF

Wait, so the criticism has gone from Rangers not putting a message out on Twitter, to now criticising them for posting it too early? It was released a day before our game mate, not 2 weeks ago 😂

8 minutes ago, AJF said:

Wait, so the criticism has gone from Rangers not putting a message out on Twitter, to now criticising them for posting it too early? It was released a day before our game mate, not 2 weeks ago 😂

How on earth do you think that was supposed to get through to the hordes, most of them are not going to watch a 10 minute presser...........but they might read a 140 character tweet.

And I suppose the Deputy Chief Constable is also lying?

He just said that they asked Rangers repeatedly to put out messages specifically telling fans not to go out and Rangers ignored them

Edited by Leith Green

7 minutes ago, AJF said:

Angry Channel 9 GIF by Married At First Sight Australia

11 minutes ago, AJF said:

There is very little in his press conference that would do anything to discourage fans if anything he abdicates responsibility to security experts and the higher ups as his job is to focus on the team however suggests people should be understanding as the fans have been through a lot.

The only thing he did discourage was fireworks being let off next to the park as he got a wee fright.

So if Stevie was to be the voice to deter fans he deffo didnt get that email 

Edited by Jinky67

4 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

There is very little in his press conference that would do anything to discourage fans if anything he abdicates responsibility to security experts and the higher ups as his job is to focus on the team.

The only thing he did discourage was fireworks being let off next to the par as he got a wee fright.

So if Stevie was to be the voice to deter fans he deffo didnt get that email 

He does abdicate the responsibility somewhat, I agree with you there, however it was clear from his message that he was advising against fans gathering at Ibrox:

“We all have to continue to try and abide by the government rules and respect social distancing...”

“The priority for me is that the fans stay safe”

Some selected words he spoke that confirms his position.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yeah, I posted that because it's likely what happened. The deafening silence on it now is, by all accounts, because the Daily Record simply made the whole "assault" up as part of their "uncontrollable mob turn up at McDiarmid Park!!!" headline they bizarrely ran with.

Our fans were morons for turning up and that's something I've mentioned multiple times when Rangers fans have used it to try and deflect. I'm fairly sure this is about the 3rd time I've said that very thing to you.

I'd be extremely surprised if they made it up given that there are actual quotes about it from the police about it: https://news.stv.tv/north/police-officer-hurt-during-st-johnstone-celebrations?top

You were on here whining about benches being broken earlier. It would appear that breaking benches is a scandalous act that simply cannot be condoned, whereas injuring police officers and stewards is probably their own stupid fault for being there in the first place. And yet I'm the one who's supposed to be biased on this :lol:

To be clear:

1) It's extremely obvious what happened here - everyone (Rangers, Police Scotland, the SNP) realised sometime around mid-February that we were going to win the league in a matter of weeks and that people were going to gather to celebrate. Because none of the parties involved here actually trust each other, and they recognise that stopping this is difficult/impossible, the immediate priority was to set about covering their own arses instead of doing something practical, like accepting this was inevitable and organising some kind of event which would give the police a measure of control over the situation. Such an event would be political suicide for whoever proposed it and sanctioned it, and ultimately that matters more than actually doing things right.

2) All sides kept receipts thinking that they could use them to prove that it's the fault of the other two and not themselves. We're now seeing those receipts being leaked and that will likely continue for a few days. Absolutely no one will completely exonerate themselves, and the whole thing will become extremely muddy to the point that people get extremely bored by it.

3) Because the SNP are ultimately responsible for this, they asked their COVID advisors what to do, who told them that whatever they do they should not let people congregate inside, and that large outdoor gatherings are virtually risk-free so just let people be outside and then eventually move them on when they've had enough. The SNP realised this would create seriously bad headlines about COVID, but since there are far more people out there who are not Rangers fans than actual Rangers fans, you can just blame the people involved and everyone will accept that because it's what they want to hear.

4) The title is won, the crowds gather and everything is pretty peaceful bar a few bits of broken wood, which the fans are paying to repair/replace. However, middle-class FBPE 45% twitter is absolutely fuming that the proles are having a good time when they aren't, so a huge amount of hysteria is whipped up on Twitter over something that is actually pretty safe. The SNP spy an ideal chance to condemn it in exchange for free political capital, a vital resource when their poll numbers aren't looking as solid as they once did.

5) In a few days time the world will move on and no one will care, until it happens again in mid-May when James Tavernier lifts the trophy above his head. That's assuming the SNP continue to f**k up and retain restrictions on things that are actually not significant COVID risks.

6) The football fans advocating Spanish police-style tactics should be extremely careful what they wish for. The police are afraid of large crowds of Rangers and Celtic fans, they aren't afraid of battering fans of diddy teams. In addition, everyone should recognise that celebrating winning is the best thing about football, young people are always going to take any opportunity to celebrate, this isn't a bad thing and that regardless of which of the 12 teams won the Premiership this season, there would have been mass gatherings and general disorder. If people want to condemn that, fire away, but I won't, the same as I didn't for St Johnstone fans because I recognise that people will act on their emotions.

6 minutes ago, G51 said:

I'd be extremely surprised if they made it up given that there are actual quotes about it from the police about it: https://news.stv.tv/north/police-officer-hurt-during-st-johnstone-celebrations?top

You were on here whining about benches being broken earlier. It would appear that breaking benches is a scandalous act that simply cannot be condoned, whereas injuring police officers and stewards is probably their own stupid fault for being there in the first place. And yet I'm the one who's supposed to be biased on this :lol:

To be clear:

1) It's extremely obvious what happened here - everyone (Rangers, Police Scotland, the SNP) realised sometime around mid-February that we were going to win the league in a matter of weeks and that people were going to gather to celebrate. Because none of the parties involved here actually trust each other, and they recognise that stopping this is difficult/impossible, the immediate priority was to set about covering their own arses instead of doing something practical, like accepting this was inevitable and organising some kind of event which would give the police a measure of control over the situation. Such an event would be political suicide for whoever proposed it and sanctioned it, and ultimately that matters more than actually doing things right.

2) All sides kept receipts thinking that they could use them to prove that it's the fault of the other two and not themselves. We're now seeing those receipts being leaked and that will likely continue for a few days. Absolutely no one will completely exonerate themselves, and the whole thing will become extremely muddy to the point that people get extremely bored by it.

3) Because the SNP are ultimately responsible for this, they asked their COVID advisors what to do, who told them that whatever they do they should not let people congregate inside, and that large outdoor gatherings are virtually risk-free so just let people be outside and then eventually move them on when they've had enough. The SNP realised this would create seriously bad headlines about COVID, but since there are far more people out there who are not Rangers fans than actual Rangers fans, you can just blame the people involved and everyone will accept that because it's what they want to hear.

4) The title is won, the crowds gather and everything is pretty peaceful bar a few bits of broken wood, which the fans are paying to repair/replace. However, middle-class FBPE 45% twitter is absolutely fuming that the proles are having a good time when they aren't, so a huge amount of hysteria is whipped up on Twitter over something that is actually pretty safe. The SNP spy an ideal chance to condemn it in exchange for free political capital, a vital resource when their poll numbers aren't looking as solid as they once did.

5) In a few days time the world will move on and no one will care, until it happens again in mid-May when James Tavernier lifts the trophy above his head. That's assuming the SNP continue to f**k up and retain restrictions on things that are actually not significant COVID risks.

6) The football fans advocating Spanish police-style tactics should be extremely careful what they wish for. The police are afraid of large crowds of Rangers and Celtic fans, they aren't afraid of battering fans of diddy teams. In addition, everyone should recognise that celebrating winning is the best thing about football, young people are always going to take any opportunity to celebrate, this isn't a bad thing and that regardless of which of the 12 teams won the Premiership this season, there would have been mass gatherings and general disorder. If people want to condemn that, fire away, but I won't, the same as I didn't for St Johnstone fans because I recognise that people will act on their emotions.

Really surprised by your apathy towards “some benches and few broken bits of wood”

They aren’t just benches, they are memorials to people’s loved ones who have passed away, a desecration and a complete lack of respect 

You would be up in arms if someone vandalised a grave or pissed on a war memorial, why is this different? 

Edited by Jinky67

1 minute ago, Jinky67 said:

Really surprised by your apathy towards “some benches and few broken bits of wood”

They aren’t just benches, they are memorials to people’s loved ones who have passed away, a desecration and a complete lack of respect 

In fairness to him, I thought it was pretty clear he was being hyperbolic to emphasise the difference between the two offences of damaging people or property.

I never read that to mean he was being disrespectful.

On 10/08/2020 at 22:57, G51 said:

There's a huge issue in the Highlands at the minute with "wild campers" from the Central Belt coming up and treating the place like a toilet.

Wild campers making a mess a “huge issue”. Rangers fans smashing up memorial benches a non issue. 

1 minute ago, AJF said:

In fairness to him, I thought it was pretty clear he was being hyperbolic to emphasise the difference between the two offences of damaging people or property.

I never read that to mean he was being disrespectful.

Correct.

There's no equivalence between damage to people and damage to property. One is clearly much worse than the other.

Obviously breaking the benches is bad, but this kind of thing is absolutely inevitable when you've a load of pished people in one place, and the benches are going to be repaired through funds raised by the fans. It's not nice but the wrong will be righted.

Just now, AllSaint said:

Wild campers making a mess a “huge issue”. Rangers fans smashing up memorial benches a non issue. 

:lol:

If that's the best you've got on me then I've been amazingly consistent. There's bound to be much better evidence of me being a stinking hypocrite out there.

Scale is important sweetie. There were a lot more wild campers in the Highlands last summer than Rangers fans at George Square.

Not all Old Firm fans are grim - I'm just back from ASDA (Yes - I go there when I want to feel good looking and well dressed 😆) I was in the bevvy section - essential shopping - I'll not get through Thursday night without a wee deoch or two.  I heard two brave lads in hoops talking about the weekend and one was winding his pal up - he told him that next season, Celtic would have a Bible quote on the jersey instead of a sponsor.  His pal thought it was a good idea and asked him which quote it was. The bloke replied "Oh God, why hast thou forsaken me?"  It took a second then his pal told him he was a stupid c###.  

Just thought I'd share....