Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2023/24

8 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

That’s because it is very simple. The £86m of revenue generated doesn’t include £40m of sold talent so it seems you are deliberately trying to skew the numbers a little….you didn’t happen to be the pre 2012 accountant did you?

Your only significant sale included in that number was Paterson whereas Celtic did actually sell more than £40m worth of talent our highest ever season for transfer fees recouped I believe.

You mentioned context a couple of times so probably would help if you applied some however as I said this feels to me a pre-emptive stance you are taking to justify underperformance, it’s an interesting take from a fan of the supposedly biggest club in Scotland to suggest they really aren’t that big anymore compared to Celtic. 

I never said the £40m was included in last years turnover, I said the Europa league run was, hence why it was included in its own paragraph. I mentioned that we had sold £40m worth of talent in response to the (valid) criticisms of not cashing in on Morelos and Kent to show that we still done well in the transfer market despite this during the last 12 months. So, I’m not trying to skew anything, they were separate points that you have lumped together.

It’s not a pre-emptive stance on anything, I have been highly critical of our performances this season and expect us to be doing a lot better. It’s why I was in favour of Gio getting sacked, unless you just want to ignore all that. This started after a Celtic fan insinuated that there wasn’t much of a financial disparity between the two clubs which I’ve proven to be incorrect. It is simply an (unfortunate for us) fact.

Edited by AJF

3 hours ago, AJF said:

I never said the £40m was included in last years turnover, I said the Europa league run was, hence why it was included in its own paragraph. I mentioned that we had sold £40m worth of talent in response to the (valid) criticisms of not cashing in on Morelos and Kent to show that we still done well in the transfer market despite this during the last 12 months. So, I’m not trying to skew anything, they were separate points that you have lumped together.

It’s not a pre-emptive stance on anything, I have been highly critical of our performances this season and expect us to be doing a lot better. It’s why I was in favour of Gio getting sacked, unless you just want to ignore all that. This started after a Celtic fan insinuated that there wasn’t much of a financial disparity between the two clubs which I’ve proven to be incorrect. It is simply an (unfortunate for us) fact.

I thought you were going to leave this 

On 06/12/2022 at 11:52, AJF said:

Aye, he'd be a squad player. If everyone was fit, Goldson and Davies would be our starting CB pairings. Then you'd imagine he'd be behind Souttar in the pecking order, maybe even Helander as well based on his ability when he is injury free.

Saw an article saying "celtic not interested in Porteous," and in a way it summed up where the two teams are. Would he get a sniff at first team with Celtic? Nope. At Rangers yes (all be it only a squad player). I have to say some of the other names linked are not that exciting almost all over or about 30. Replacements for Davis and Arfield.  Hardly building a future.  

3 hours ago, AJF said:

And like I said before what you should be questioning is to why that is. You all claim to be a global club with a bigger fan base, yes you may not draw as much from match day or season ticket revenue however there is no reason why Rangers shouldn’t be able to emulate what Celtic do commercially or in terms of being able to buy low, sell big, no reason whatsoever.

The difference is those in charge of your club were more than willing to sell off revenue streams to the likes of Mike Ashley, hold onto players when it was the right time to sell  in an attempt to just stop Celtic doing 10iar which you accomplished and are now paying for it as those who footed the bill want their returns and you find yourself with players you will likely make no return on and with no equity to replace them with players of similar or better quality and will then again have to resort to borrowing as the transfer fees recouped from the likes of Bassey will just plug the gap in European revenue lost between last season and this season. You guys should be asking hard questions of your board but there seems to be some sort of acceptance that you are now languishing behind and there is nothing you can do 🤷‍♂️

Financial disparity 😂, I imagine most non Celtic and Rangers fans are laughing their heads off at hearing that come from a Rangers fan and so they should tbf

Edited by Jinky67

34 minutes ago, Insaintee said:

Saw an article saying "celtic not interested in Porteous," and in a way it summed up where the two teams are. Would he get a sniff at first team with Celtic? Nope. At Rangers yes (all be it only a squad player). I have to say some of the other names linked are not that exciting almost all over or about 30. Replacements for Davis and Arfield.  Hardly building a future.  

Apparently we have distanced ourselves from Porteous as well so it doesn't seem likely he will be on his way to us which is ideal as like you said before, he wouldn't be an upgrade on what we already have.

30 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

And like I said before what you should be questioning is to why that is. You all claim to be a global club with a bigger fan base, yes you may not draw as much from match day or season ticket revenue however there is no reason why Rangers shouldn’t be able to emulate what Celtic do commercially or in terms of being able to buy low, sell big, no reason whatsoever.

The difference is those in charge of your club were more than willing to sell off revenue streams to the likes of Mike Ashley, hold onto players when it was the right time to sell  in an attempt to just stop Celtic doing 10iar which you accomplished and are now paying for it as those who footed the bill want their returns and you find yourself with players you will likely make no return on and with no equity to replace them with players of similar or better quality and will then again have to resort to borrowing as the transfer fees recouped from the likes of Bassey will just plug the gap in European revenue lost between last season and this season. You guys should be asking hard questions of your board but there seems to be some sort of acceptance that you are now languishing behind and there is nothing you can do 🤷‍♂️

Financial disparity 😂, I imagine most non Celtic and Rangers fans are laughing their heads off at hearing that come from a Rangers fan and so they should tbf

Rangers are on their way to emulating what Celtic do, it has not been a secret that our board are looking to operate on the same 'qualify for CL or sell players' model that Celtic have been using successfully, but as I said before, you are naive to suggest this is something that can just be instantly achieved given our journey since 2012. Celtic have had a decade of a financial advantage over us when we weren't competing in Europe for a large portion of it. We are slowly getting there though, as evidenced by our European feats and improved player trading recently.

Those currently in charge of our club had no choice when it came to Mike Ashley; this was an onerous 7-year contract that was signed by the previous board (who were ousted due to their Mike Ashley connections) that they have tried many times to get out of but it was wrapped up so tightly it that it has been very difficult to do, so I think holding that against them is a bit unfair.

I would also question your claim that our transfer money will be needed to plug the gap in our European income from last season to this season. I think it came out of the AGM that due to qualifying for the Champions League then this would only amount to around £3m of a difference or thereabouts.

Again, you keep saying that there is an acceptance - where are you seeing this? There has been wide criticism of the board regarding their choice to let contracts run down, failure to invest in the squad following CL qualification and a poor managerial appointment in Gio. Where are you seeing any Rangers fan stating any of that is acceptable?

Other fans can laugh all they want, none of what I am saying is untrue. There categorically is financial disparity between Celtic and Rangers. It is simply undeniable. It is not a moan nor a criticism, it's just acceptance that we are still playing catch up financially. If you are trying to claim otherwise, then I don't think you are being genuine or honest with yourself.

What the f**k is going on at this place?

I'd check the hard drive of the person making these decisions. This is a real football club?

I don't get how or why anyone would think this is reasonable? It's so, so weird.

7 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

I'd check the hard drive of the person making these decisions. This is a real football club?

I don't get how or why anyone would think this is reasonable? It's so, so weird.

Why is Charles' head cut in half? Is the is code? 

On 10/12/2022 at 07:31, Busta Nut said:

If you're going to do this, why not use a photo of when he was king? I mean, his savaloy fingers might inspire a bit of hunger from the players. As might his medals, tbf.

Positive news we are looking to tie him down long term. He has had a bit of a baptism of fire due to injuries and swapping central defensive partners almost weekly.

Obviously quite raw and rash at times but he is very comfortable with the ball at his feet and looks to have good potential.