Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2023/24

4 hours ago, AJF said:

Let's hope Jim Duffy's source is just a case of him glancing at twitter or something then.

Don't get me wrong, I reckon Porteous is probably good enough, but it wouldn't be a universally popular signing and he'd need to start quickly otherwise it could get a bit messy with fans on his back due to the, let's say history, we have with him.

Makes sense if Morelos is off in January. You’ll have a vacancy for a idiot/ wum/ hate-figure needing filled.

18 hours ago, kingjoey said:

You’re annoying so many people in so many different ways, but the only thing annoying me about you is the every time, EVERY TIME, you use the word “of” you type “off”. It’s driving me f*ck*ng nuts. If you’re going to that at least spell “if” as “iff”.

Block me then its a easy option or stop being a third rate on line remidial teacher its your choice

12 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Makes sense if Morelos is off in January. You’ll have a vacancy for a idiot/ wum/ hate-figure needing filled.

Porteous is a good player even Gerrard said a few times in interviews that he liked him and rated him wouldn't want to take the devil out off him either but think his cards marked by the refs and needs to go find another challenge and don't think it will be at Ibrox but we have signed a lot worce over the seasons like Simpson 

20 hours ago, General dissaray said:

Porteous is a good player even Gerrard said a few times in interviews that he liked him and rated him wouldn't want to take the devil out off him either but think his cards marked by the refs and needs to go find another challenge and don't think it will be at Ibrox but we have signed a lot worce over the seasons like Simpson 

Gerrard signed most of those 'worse' signings. 

1 hour ago, House Bartender said:

Seriously? Is he not getting on a bit now?

image.jpeg.03b0d6f56077515be32c06e01b41c9bc.jpeg

Ian also had his off-field issues.

I think it was 'rumoured' that he glassed someone in nightclub.

The Northern Light fanzine had a cartoon with two men standing at a bar, and the one with the Rab C.Nesbitt bandage wrapped round his head says to the other, "...so I said to Ian Porteous..."

6 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Beale’s just seen the respective budgets of both clubs so at least he’s being realistic.

FC8C7D94-6EA5-482F-B2F5-E1B20AF24D31.png

I’m pretty sure wages published last by Rangers have shown not a great difference, where they have messed up is not selling their assets when in form and contract length is decent Now they are unable to fund their own squad overhaul like we have been doing. Their recruitment hasn’t been the best either really. 

12 minutes ago, gannonball said:

I’m pretty sure wages published last by Rangers have shown not a great difference, where they have messed up is not selling their assets when in form and contract length is decent Now they are unable to fund their own squad overhaul like we have been doing. Their recruitment hasn’t been the best either really. 

Isn't Celtic's player wage budget still higher than ours by approx. £5m? I can't remember where I seen that so I may be wrong.

Additionally, if you consider that Celtic have committed to €53.45m on transfer fees compared to our €17.88m in the last two seasons, then aye, there is quite a significant budget difference.

10 minutes ago, AJF said:

Isn't Celtic's player wage budget still higher than ours by approx. £5m? I can't remember where I seen that so I may be wrong.

Additionally, if you consider that Celtic have committed to €53.45m on transfer fees compared to our €17.88m in the last two seasons, then aye, there is quite a significant budget difference.

I think it’s less than that now but 5 million at that level certainly isn’t insurmountable . For the latter that’s my point we sold our players generally at a sensible time to generate a squad overhaul where as Rangers didn’t really sell anyone other than Patterson, no team in Scotland can really afford to have a transfer deficit but we have spoken about this death several times before I think.

9 minutes ago, gannonball said:

I think it’s less than that now but 5 million at that level certainly isn’t insurmountable . For the latter that’s my point we sold our players generally at a sensible time to generate a squad overhaul where as Rangers didn’t really sell anyone other than Patterson, no team in Scotland can really afford to have a transfer deficit but we have spoken about this death several times before I think.

Well, for context, £5m would be the equivalent of 5 extra players on £20k a week. That's quite a difference.

Also, I think you may be forgetting we sold Bassey for a club record fee and Aribo for a decent sum too.

If you look at what has been brought in and paid out over the last 2 seasons, Rangers are in a transfer surplus of €28.92m (Paid Out: €17.88m, Brought In: €46.8m) whereas Celtic are actually in a transfer deficit of €14.85m (Paid Out: €53.45m, Brought In: €38.6m).

Celtic have vastly outspent us.

2 hours ago, gannonball said:

I was laughing at the quality of journalism from the Scottish football media ‘experts’ more than comparing budgets tbh. 

I did read, and again given that it was a Scottish journalist it could very well be incorrect, that the level of money Postecoglu has been given to spend on players is unprecedented in Scottish football and dwarfs anything any other manager has had in the history of our game.

If you look at his sporadic success since moving into management in the late 90’s, that probably explains why he’s finding it an absolute scoosh in Scotland rather than being a managerial Demi-God like previously mentioned Scottish journalists would have us all believe.

6 hours ago, AJF said:

Well, for context, £5m would be the equivalent of 5 extra players on £20k a week. That's quite a difference.

Also, I think you may be forgetting we sold Bassey for a club record fee and Aribo for a decent sum too.

If you look at what has been brought in and paid out over the last 2 seasons, Rangers are in a transfer surplus of €28.92m (Paid Out: €17.88m, Brought In: €46.8m) whereas Celtic are actually in a transfer deficit of €14.85m (Paid Out: €53.45m, Brought In: €38.6m).

Celtic have vastly outspent us.

This is the first season in quite a while we have had a transfer deficit, its not as if this is season after season. Our transfer market activity since 16/17 has been pretty shrewd which has allowed us to continue investing in the squad and despite our spend we still and most importantly remain profitable 

Edited by Jinky67

17 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

This is the first season in quite a while we have had a transfer deficit, its not as if this is season after season. Our transfer market activity since 16/17 has been pretty shrewd which has allowed us to continue investing in the squad and despite our spend we still and most importantly remain profitable 

I was giving the transfer spend since the squad overhaul started under Postecoglou that @gannonballmentioned which highlights the vastly differing budgets of the two teams during that period.

Being profitable or not doesn’t change or alter the fact that Celtic are able to, and have, outspent us to a degree that we cannot keep up with.

Edited by AJF

42 minutes ago, AJF said:

I was giving the transfer spend since the squad overhaul started under Postecoglou that @gannonballmentioned which highlights the vastly differing budgets of the two teams during that period.

Being profitable or not doesn’t change or alter the fact that Celtic are able to, and have, outspent us to a degree that we cannot keep up with.

Then the question you really should be asking is why you can’t keep up with it.

9 hours ago, AJF said:

Celtic are able to, and have, outspent us to a degree that we cannot keep up with.

How quickly you forget Lord Nimmo Smith's sage advice that money does not convey a sporting advantage, despite the glaringly obvious fact that money allows the purchase of better quality players. Maybe your players just need to try harder to catch up.