Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2023/24

1 minute ago, AJF said:

Erm, no. That's not what I was suggesting at all 😂 I was asking if their protest captured the feeling of the majority of the fanbase.

The GB would protest over the colour of shite however I don’t think it captures the feeling of the majority. People with their heads screwed on can see 6 million for 2 friendlies isn’t to be sniffed at 

10 minutes ago, AJF said:

Well, why don't you tell me why you think Rangers fans are against it?

It comes across that they are pissed off that they are not the main draw in the Ange Homecoming? And it comes across that the "Old Firm" don't play friendlies.  And it comes across that they are pissed off that the two teams aren't going to be billed as the "Old Firm". I might be totally wrong though because I'm not a Rangers fan.

17 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

It comes across that they are pissed off that they are not the main draw in the Ange Homecoming? And it comes across that the "Old Firm" don't play friendlies.  And it comes across that they are pissed off that the two teams aren't going to be billed as the "Old Firm". I might be totally wrong though because I'm not a Rangers fan.

Aye, I think you've hit some of the points.

For me anyway, it's a few things. I touched on it earlier that I think it is just too much of a move towards EPL clubs and their loss of identity and becoming tourist clubs that take decisions that don't necessarily resonate with their fans.

We attended a pre-season tournament with Celtic at the beginning of last season but we were not to play against each other. That was fine, no issues at all. But as you say, I just don't feel that a friendly is a good idea for any derby, not just Rangers v Celtic.

The fact that it was leaked by Celtic ahead of Rangers and the tournament organisers meant we were always going to be playing catch up, and as you say, the narrative was set immediately with it being Ange's homecoming. Leaves a bit of a bitter taste in the mouth.

I'm not sure there is any mileage in the claim Rangers are upset at Old Firm branding not being used, I think that's more of a diversion to make it seem like we are pulling out due to things we are unhappy with rather than say we are withdrawing due to fan protests which could leave us liable.

I completely appreciate the commercial aspect of it, I just feel it's better now that the club have realised they were out of touch with the fans on this one and have withdrawn.

Anyway, it seems myself and any Rangers fans that opposed this friendly are firmly in the minority in terms of the wider fanbase in Scotland. I'm not convinced at all that many Celtic fans would've been in favour of it either, but that's just a hunch that I can't quantify.

Is it entirely unreasonable to be satisfied that we've now withdrawn based on the above? I don't think so anyway.

Edited by AJF

The claim that £3million to a clumpany that turns over less than £50 million is an irrelevance is utterly mind boggling. 
Aye but when you support Rangers* you have to tailor every single thing you say so as to ensure your not conceding a point to Celtic**

*Or Celtic

**Or Rangers

6 minutes ago, AJF said:

Aye, I think you've hit some of the points.

For me anyway, it's a few things. I touched on it earlier that I think it is just too much of a move towards EPL clubs and their loss of identity and becoming tourist clubs that take decisions that don't necessarily resonate with their fans.

We attended a pre-season tournament with Celtic at the beginning of last season but we were not to play against each other. That was fine, no issues at all. But as you say, I just don't feel that a friendly is a good idea for any derby, not just Rangers v Celtic.

The fact that it was leaked by Celtic ahead of Rangers and the tournament organisers meant we were always going to be playing catch up, and as you say, the narrative was set immediately with it being Ange's homecoming. Leaves a bit of a bitter taste in the mouth.

I'm not sure there is any mileage in the claim Rangers are upset at Old Firm branding not being used, I think that's more of a diversion to make it seem like we are pulling out due to things we are unhappy with rather than say we are withdrawing due to fan protests which could leave us liable.

I completely appreciate the commercial aspect of it, I just feel it's better now that the club have realised they were out of touch with the fans on this one and have withdrawn.

Anyway, it seems myself and any Rangers fans that opposed this friendly are firmly in the minority in terms of the wider fanbase in Scotland. I'm not convinced at all that many Celtic fans would've been in favour of it either, but that's just a hunch that I can't quantify.

Is it entirely unreasonable to be satisfied that we've now withdrawn based on the above? I don't think so anyway.

Can I clarify that I don't myself believe  any of the points that I made. I was trying to get inside the head of the Rangers support (OH MY GOD). Basically, the truth of the matter is that someone offered the club, who publicly said they wanted (if not needed)£2/3 million, that amount of money to play two football matches. Rangers now say "nah, it's ok, the tennis balls have spoken".

9 minutes ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

The claim that £3million to a clumpany that turns over less than £50 million is an irrelevance is utterly mind boggling. 

I never said it was an irrelevance, I countered the claim that is was needed or was vital funds to keep the club ticking over, which simply isn't the case. You're misrepresenting what I said.

4 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Can I clarify that I don't myself believe  any of the points that I made. I was trying to get inside the head of the Rangers support (OH MY GOD). Basically, the truth of the matter is that someone offered the club, who publicly said they wanted (if not needed)£2/3 million, that amount of money to play two football matches. Rangers now say "nah, it's ok, the tennis balls have spoken".

Aye, I appreciate that. I'm not saying you need to believe in any of the points you made. I think you actually summarised a few of them well, I just don't think it can simply be portrayed as if it's a case of just taking or leaving the money.

37 minutes ago, AJF said:

I never said it was an irrelevance, I countered the claim that is was needed or was vital funds to keep the club ticking over, which simply isn't the case. You're misrepresenting what I said.

A club that has run at a substantial loss pretty much every year for a decade, relies on soft loans to plug those gaps and the majority of its sellable assets are in or entering the last year of their contracts don’t need the money? 
Rangers aren’t immune to the rising costs of well everything really….I imagine Rangers costs to operate over the next 12 months will easily increase by 3 million or more as will most clubs of similar size

So again not needed?

Kenan Thompson Reaction GIF

Edited by Jinky67

16 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

A club that has run at a substantial loss pretty much every year for a decade, relies on soft loans to plug those gaps and the majority of its sellable assets are in or entering the last year of their contracts don’t need the money? 
Rangers aren’t immune to the rising costs of well everything really….I imagine Rangers costs to operate over the next 12 months will easily increase by 3 million or more as will most clubs of similar size

So again not needed?

Kenan Thompson Reaction GIF

Yes, we've been over this already. They do not need that money. It is wishful thinking to believe that us losing out on this £3M will plunge us into financial peril. Christ, we will probably make that up from the Braga tie alone.

Edited by AJF

Do people believe Rangers are going to lose millions over this decision?

Rangers have already said that they will be organising game/s during this break. 

Supporters groups have been in touch with the club to tell them they would be boycotting club merchandise, membership, media etc. 

Rangers could also be looking to be compensated for breach of contract by organisers as was hinted at in club statement 

14 minutes ago, AJF said:

Yes, we've been over this already. They do not need that money. It is wishful thinking to believe that us losing out on this £3M will plunge us into financial peril. Christ, we will probably make that up from the Braga tie alone.

We ll be making more than double that from Braga tie. Ticket money alone is more than that . 

2 minutes ago, AJF said:

And Celtic make double that from 2 pretty meaningless friendlies which will be even for Celtic much needed money to offset rising operating costs but yet Rangers can afford to turn their nose up at it?

And it’s potentially not just 3 million though, it’s 3 million with a potential fine for withdrawing so a negative delta of 4 or 5 million maybe if Rangers are indeed liable for a fee? Whilst Celtic get richer? Seems like a good call 😂

Its a win win for us though, don’t need to deal with the drama of having to play Rangers, we bank the cash and some Rangers fans are now left with tickets supporting big Anges homecoming. It’s brilliant 

7 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

And Celtic make double that from 2 pretty meaningless friendlies which will be even for Celtic much needed money to offset rising operating costs but yet Rangers can afford to turn their nose up at it?

And it’s potentially not just 3 million though, it’s 3 million with a potential fine for withdrawing so a negative delta of 4 or 5 million maybe if Rangers are indeed liable for a fee? Whilst Celtic get richer? Seems like a good call 😂

Its a win win for us though, don’t need to deal with the drama of having to play Rangers, we bank the cash and some Rangers fans are now left with tickets supporting big Anges homecoming. It’s brilliant 

This isn't a debate about Celtic though. And quite clearly they can afford to turn their nose up at it, otherwise they wouldn't have pulled out 😂

How would we have fared if this friendly opportunity never came around at all? Would you be in our thread now claiming that we had to raise £3M by November or we'd be in financial peril? No, you absolutely would not. Surely you can see why that makes your claims of us needing this money absolute nonsense?

24 minutes ago, AB1872 said:

We ll be making more than double that from Braga tie. Ticket money alone is more than that . 

Arsenal generate (not profit) about three million quid from each home game. Their stadium is bigger than yours, their tickets are pricier, they have far more and far more expensive corporate facilities.

Can you explain your working for Rangers bringing in SIX MILLION QUID from the Braga game?

Edited by VincentGuerin

10 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

How much are the tickets? 😂

£48 for an adult with a season ticket, probably about £55 for general sale tickets. I reckon we will probably make about £2M from ticket sales before TV, prize money etc.

Edited by AJF

19 minutes ago, AJF said:

This isn't a debate about Celtic though. And quite clearly they can afford to turn their nose up at it, otherwise they wouldn't have pulled out 😂

How would we have fared if this friendly opportunity never came around at all? Would you be in our thread now claiming that we had to raise £3M by November or we'd be in financial peril? No, you absolutely would not. Surely you can see why that makes your claims of us needing this money absolute nonsense?

Where in these last few posts have I implied not banking 3 million by November puts you in “financial peril” ? I’ve said quite clearly the money is needed, I’ve also said Celtic need the money because the simple fact again is both clubs have rising operating costs. Hardly a wild take with all that’s going on just now.

Edited by Jinky67

10 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Where in these last few posts have I implied not banking 3 million by November puts you in “financial peril” ? I’ve said quite clearly the money is needed, I’ve also said Celticalso need the money because the simple fact again is both clubs have rising operating costs. Hardly a wild take with all that’s going on just now.

Okay, so when you say we "need" the money, what you actually mean is we don't need the money but it would be beneficial? Right, got you.

6 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

And is your electricity free, do your suppliers supply their goods for free, do the stewards, police and other staff turn up for free? Player bonuses and other associated operating costs or does none of this apply to Rangers? 

Christ, pedantic or what. Okay, so will it be better if I phrased it as "I reckon we will probably turnover about £2M from ticket sales before TV, prize money etc."

I wonder if that £3M we would've got for going to Australia would've been free of travel, accommodation, training camp and any other operating costs eh. I guess we will never know now that we've pulled the plug on it.

Edited by AJF