Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2023/24

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

The lower leagues have never had a winter break so try again. 

Doesn't matter.  If you postpone for public health reasons then you apply it to  all leagues and if you postpone because 'football is nothing without the fans' then you don't play yesterday's round of games.

In either case we have a partial policy - not a  policy with integrity.

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

In all seriousness, can someone please explain the sporting integrity argument here? I really don’t get how rangers are hard done by other than they fancied playing at parkhead without fans. 

I think McGregor was just using it as an opportunity to get in a little dig pertaining to previous events. He never actually said the decision to bring forward the break lacked sporting integrity.

The question that was posed to him was if rival clubs who had voted to start the winter shutdown after the Boxing Day round of fixtures were looking to gain an advantage for themselves, to which he replied that sporting integrity is a big thing in Scotland so he’d hope not (despite knowing that’s exactly what the motivating factor would’ve been for Rangers voting how they did).

I’d say the quote has been taken slightly out of context.

ETA: I don’t really have much of an issue with how it has played out, just in case anyone believes I am defending the view point that the games should’ve been played regardless.

Edited by AJF

1 minute ago, The_Kincardine said:

Doesn't matter.  If you postpone for public health reasons then you apply it to  all leagues and if you postpone because 'football is nothing without the fans' then you don't play yesterday's round of games.

Well it quite clearly wasn’t postponed for public health reasons as there’d be no need to. 

The reason for the partial policy is due to rescheduling that number of games in the remaining time available. All games would’ve been postponed if it was feasible. 

1 minute ago, The_Kincardine said:

Whether you like it or not, and you obviously like a conspiracy theory, these games were played yesterday because of Celtic and Rangers. No break was due in the lower leagues, so no break has been taken. A winter break, probably started because of a clamour from Celtic and Rangers all these years ago, was happening in the Premiership in seven days time anyway and it has been brought forward by that number of days. 

10 minutes ago, AJF said:

I think McGregor was just using it as an opportunity to get in a little dig pertaining to previous events. He never actually said the decision to bring forward the break lacked sporting integrity.

The question that was posed to him was if rival clubs who had voted to start the winter shutdown after the Boxing Day round of fixtures were looking to gain an advantage for themselves, to which he replied that sporting integrity is a big thing in Scotland so he’d hope not (despite knowing that’s exactly what the motivating factor would’ve been for Rangers voting how they did).

I’d say the quote has been taken slightly out of context.

ETA: I don’t really have much of an issue with how it has played out, just in case anyone believes I am defending the view point that the games should’ve been played regardless.

I’m not really talking about mcgregor, his comments were hilariously stupid in or out of context. 

There does appear though to be a general sense of injustice about it and I wanted to know if I was actually missing something other than rangers would’ve preferred to go to an empty parkhead. 

14 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I’m not really talking about mcgregor, his comments were hilariously stupid in or out of context. 

There does appear though to be a general sense of injustice about it and I wanted to know if I was actually missing something other than rangers would’ve preferred to go to an empty parkhead. 

Aye, that’s fair enough. Personally I don’t feel as though there has been any anti-Rangers sentiment behind the decision but I know others will feel differently.

I think some are getting caught up with the fact that Celtic were one of the first to publicly call for the break to be moved forward which fits a narrative, but when you consider three proposals were put to a vote (which included Rangers’ preference of not moving the break) then I don’t think logically it can be argued that we’ve been targeted or Celtic have been assisted.

All clubs will have voted for what suits them. The majority preferred this option. I don’t agree that the majority are somehow towing the Celtic line.

All clubs will vote for what suits them, the driving agenda for some won’t be empty stadiums, like it’s being painted.  The likes of Livi and Dundee play in empty stadiums anyway. 

If Hibs were top of the league, full strength and no covid, they wouldn’t be asking for a break. 

Edited by Mean Gene

2 hours ago, Mean Gene said:

All clubs will vote for what suits them, the driving agenda for some won’t be empty stadiums, like it’s being painted.  The likes of Livi and Dundee play in empty stadiums anyway. 

If Hibs were top of the league, full strength and no covid, they wouldn’t be asking for a break. 

The f*ck*ng break was happening anyway in a week’s time. If there wasn’t a Winter Break scheduled in a week’s time, there would be no break now and all games would have been played in front of 500 fans, apart from Hearts whose technology doesn’t appear to allow them to carry out a ballot of their season ticket holders.

Just watched the original footage of this and its literally 10 minutes of hundreds of different Rangers fans all singing that same song, just a minority though. Hope every single one of them are charged.

The f*ck*ng break was happening anyway in a week’s time. If there wasn’t a Winter Break scheduled in a week’s time, there would be no break now and all games would have been played in front of 500 fans, apart from Hearts whose technology doesn’t appear to allow them to carry out a ballot of their season ticket holders.
Celtic wanted it off because they didn't want to play the Old Firm, which they need to win realistically, with their depleted squad against what is a pretty much full strength Rangers.

The delay gives them a chance to get players fit and add to their squad before it happens.

Rangers wanted it in for the same reason. They wanted to play a depleted Celtic and before Aribo, Balogun, Bassey and Morelos (potentially) are away on international duty, which they would (in Morelos case could) be for the rearranged fixture.

Aberdeen didn't want their two largest home gates cut to 500.

Dundee, County, Saints and Livi saw the chance of two less games before a transfer window that could help change their season (Saints in particular).

Ultimately, every club voted for what suited them best for a multitude of reasons dressed up as "but the fans". In 3 weeks when the fans still can't get in we'll not hear that again, it'll start back up and then get on with it.

Ultimately it matters not. It went to a vote and this is what the club's voted for so McGregor and Rangers can suck it up. Ultimately doesn't matter a jot why clubs voted to stop early, only that they did, which is absolutely their right, for whatever reason they see fit.

13 minutes ago, gaz5 said:

Celtic wanted it off because they didn't want to play the Old Firm, which they need to win realistically, with their depleted squad against what is a pretty much full strength Rangers.

The delay gives them a chance to get players fit and add to their squad before it happens.

Rangers wanted it in for the same reason. They wanted to play a depleted Celtic and before Aribo, Balogun, Bassey and Morelos (potentially) are away on international duty, which they would (in Morelos case could) be for the rearranged fixture.

Aberdeen didn't want their two largest home gates cut to 500.

Dundee, County, Saints and Livi saw the chance of two less games before a transfer window that could help change their season (Saints in particular).

Ultimately, every club voted for what suited them best for a multitude of reasons dressed up as "but the fans". In 3 weeks when the fans still can't get in we'll not hear that again, it'll start back up and then get on with it.

Ultimately it matters not. It went to a vote and this is what the club's voted for so McGregor and Rangers can suck it up. Ultimately doesn't matter a jot why clubs voted to stop early, only that they did, which is absolutely their right, for whatever reason they see fit.

Basically, because it makes sense. And if if it wasn’t for Celtic AND Rangers we wouldn’t have played yesterday’s games either.

Basically, because it makes sense. And if if it wasn’t for Celtic AND Rangers we wouldn’t have played yesterday’s games either.
That's subjective.

Personally, I didn't think it made much sense, because the situation is unlikely to be any different in 3 weeks time. Getting another 2 games out the way as scheduled made more sense to me.

But ultimately I don't really GAF as I've no skin in the game, so makes no ends to me.

I only posted in response to the question about why clubs voted a certain way. The answer is self interest. It's nothing to do with "benefit of the fans" as it's being sold.

There's nothing wrong with clubs voting for whatever suits them. They don't even need to give a reason. Just put their cross in the box, count them up and move on.

5 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Whether you like it or not, and you obviously like a conspiracy theory, these games were played yesterday because of Celtic and Rangers. No break was due in the lower leagues, so no break has been taken. A winter break, probably started because of a clamour from Celtic and Rangers all these years ago, was happening in the Premiership in seven days time anyway and it has been brought forward by that number of days. 

Not wanting a schedule of games interrupted for threadbare reasoning doesn't make me a conspiracist, Jhoey...

12 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Eh?  It was our first Premiership title win.  What are you getting excited about?

Eh? Who mentioned title win? What are you talking about? 

Edited by Drew Brees

32 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

What makes you think that? All clubs voted on the 3 options, and the SPFL were specifically recommending against postponing yesterday's games due to the lack of dates available to reschedule fixtures.

My own feeling is that the fixtures must be played on the dates on which they are scheduled, otherwise it undermines the sporting integrity of the league.

So, suppose your team is progressing in European competition but also has closely scheduled domestic fixtures, you’re happy to play those domestic fixtures as scheduled?

Asking for a dead club.

2 hours ago, AJF said:

What makes you think that? All clubs voted on the 3 options, and the SPFL were specifically recommending against postponing yesterday's games due to the lack of dates available to reschedule fixtures.

And the reason for the lack of dates is that they factored in Celtic and Rangers continued presence in the Europa League and Conference League. Otherwise there are a number of free midweeks.