Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2023/24

Meanwhile, a Rangers fan, aged 15, has apologised to Aberdeen star Shay Logan after subjecting him to vile racist abuse on social media.

We told how the Dons defender shared the shocking slurs he received online.

The 32-year-old has since been contacted by the youngster to say sorry.

And he has removed the posts from his personal account following a conversation with the mother of the boy.

This happened after the Aberdeen game last week, any mention of him in this statement?

Meanwhile, a Rangers fan, aged 15, has apologised to Aberdeen star Shay Logan after subjecting him to vile racist abuse on social media.
We told how the Dons defender shared the shocking slurs he received online.
The 32-year-old has since been contacted by the youngster to say sorry.
And he has removed the posts from his personal account following a conversation with the mother of the boy.
This happened after the Aberdeen game last week, any mention of him in this statement?

"What comes out of it now, when the boy then contacts Shay, after Shay has exposed him really and highlighted the racism, that it comes to light he is a 15-year-old boy," said McInnes.

"He should know better. We all know right and wrong at that age, but there has also got to be an understanding there that the boy is full of remorse, apologetic.

"He is deeply embarrassed and Shay has accepted it and I think it is a positive outcome on something that was really unsavoury and not what you want to see.”

Slightly different tone.

2 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

"What comes out of it now, when the boy then contacts Shay, after Shay has exposed him really and highlighted the racism, that it comes to light he is a 15-year-old boy," said McInnes.

"He should know better. We all know right and wrong at that age, but there has also got to be an understanding there that the boy is full of remorse, apologetic.

"He is deeply embarrassed and Shay has accepted it and I think it is a positive outcome on something that was really unsavoury and not what you want to see.”

Slightly different tone.

Just slightly.. then again Aberdeen are not involved in a point scoring war with its neighbour.

8 minutes ago, Bohemian said:

I don't particularly like the statement but a large part of it was calling out the crazy articles from Provan et al excusing the racist abuse of Morelos. There has definitely been an aspect of ignoring it when it comes to Morelos as opposing fans don't like his style of play or actions on the pitch.

On 09/02/2020 at 10:35, Romeo said:
On 08/02/2020 at 20:01, Lofarl said:
If there is one thing I've learned. Don't piss off [mention=65075]alta-pete[/mention].  You may end up on his list.

What list is this?

ade3491e23f6ded8243a96c704688a73.jpg

I don't particularly like the statement but a large part of it was calling out the crazy articles from Provan et al excusing the racist abuse of Morelos. There has definitely been an aspect of ignoring it when it comes to Morelos as opposing fans don't like his style of play or actions on the pitch.
Any mention of it in the statement?

So a Rangers player has been racially abused and the the media members who said this never happened or that he should just put up with it are the good guys and Rangers are still getting the blame for everything ?

The majority of people on here hate Rangers more than they like their own clubs. Tragic, really tragic.

2 minutes ago, Super_A said:

So a Rangers player has been racially abused and the the media members who said this never happened or that he should just put up with it are the good guys and Rangers are still getting the blame for everything ?

The majority of people on here hate Rangers more than they like their own clubs. Tragic, really tragic.

Bad post.

2 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Pretty much every Rangers fan on here thinks that Traynor's a cock and that he should have no role at ibrox.  As far as the statement goes, it's pretty clear that Traynor is using it, partly, as a twisted form of self-justification/gratification and that is unacceptable.  I am sick to the back fucking teeth of Traynor's statements and wish we had someone as a media lead who hasn't Traynor's baggage and sense of grievance.  He is a liability and not an asset.

As far as a 12 yo being charged with racist abuse goes, well that is actually heart breaking.  Of course, one can be criminally responsible aged 12 and the young man deserves appropriate punishment if found guilty.  However, who raises their kids to shout racist abuse at footballers?  What sort of parents nurtures their kids in this way?  His maw and da are a culpable as the boy himself.

Good post.

43 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I know that I shouldn’t rise to this, but I can’t stop myself. I’m sure that you realise this as you are most certainly on the wind up, but if you read my post again, the point that I’m making is that Morelos is detested by football fans in Scotland for everything that he gets up to on the pitch. For most, but obviously not all as proved by today’s criminal charge, no other reason whatsoever. I also pointed out that Alan McGregor, Rangers caucasian goalkeeper, is disliked as much as Morelos by these same football fans in Scotland. 

To be clear, I detest racism in any of its forms, and anyone who has abused Morelos because of the colour of his skin, deserves everything that is coming to them. Unfortunately, in recent times Morelos, Scott Sinclair and Shay Logan have been abused in Scotland because of the colour of their skin, and all these occasions are detestable. 

This is a similar argument put up by Celtic fans a few years ago where they tried to convince everyone that all of the abuse that Neil Lennon received was because he was a catholic.

Of course my reply to you was a wee bit tongue in cheek - and I'd never consider you a subject of a racist awareness course.  I'm also replying to your post over here rather than clog up the Sportsound thread. 

Yes, there is a racist element to the abuse that Morelos gets and yes, there was a sectarian element to the abuse that Lennon got.

Both 'we' and 'them' can be guilty of egging the custard but there remains a true truth:  The abuse of Morelos now and the abuse of Lennon then both went beyond simply their on-pitch behaviour.

Edited by The_Kincardine