Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2023/24

20 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Sad news that Fernando Ricksen has died.

Absolutely dreadful disease, the way he was suffering was horrible. 43 years young.

He was a machine on the park and a maniac off it, a real character. 

I think the way he handled himself since diagnosis and the amount of public appearances he made is a credit to him and his family and hopefully goes some way to raising awareness and research.

Absolutely dreadful disease, the way he was suffering was horrible. 43 years young.
He was a machine on the park and a maniac off it, a real character. 
I think the way he handled himself since diagnosis and the amount of public appearances he made is a credit to him and his family and hopefully goes some way to raising awareness and research.

Yup. It’s an awful disease. Doddie Weir’s battle is going to be just horrendous to watch from a distance, God only knows what it must be like to live with.

2 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Yup. It’s an awful disease. Doddie Weir’s battle is going to be just horrendous to watch from a distance, God only knows what it must be like to live with.

Yes I remember seeing Jimmy Johnstone go the same way, albeit he largely stayed out of the public eye once it progressed. 

I think I'd want put out of my misery if it got me, more for my family than myself. Watching someone so close suffer like that must be utterly horrendous. 

2 minutes ago, Rugster said:

Yes I remember seeing Jimmy Johnstone go the same way, albeit he largely stayed out of the public eye once it progressed. 

I think I'd want put out of my misery if it got me, more for my family than myself. Watching someone so close suffer like that must be utterly horrendous. 

JJ was of a different generation that would look at staying out of the public eye differently from today's in terms of raising awareness aspect of the disease.

A family friend out mine died a few years back of stomach cancer......what a miserable last few months he had.......his 47th birthday wish was "to die". He did a few days after it.

Dreadful, dreadful news about Fernando today passing away from that horrible disease.

At 43 he was still young and to suffer so horrendously in the last years of his life is tragic and I can not imagine the loss being felt by those close to him.

May Fernando RIP.

I wouldn't say I'm scared of death but ever being diagnosed with Motor Neurone Disease would scare the hell out of me and I have no idea how I would cope with it.

In a world where people say you're brave for any little thing, it's no exaggeration to say Fernando was truly brave in facing his horrible illness. RIP.

1 hour ago, Rugster said:

This.

Horrible disease. Cannot imagine how hard this has been for him and his family to deal with.

Edited by Jute

1 hour ago, CaspianChris said:

Dreadful, dreadful news about Fernando today passing away from that horrible disease.

At 43 he was still young and to suffer so horrendously in the last years of his life is tragic and I can not imagine the loss being felt by those close to him.

May Fernando RIP.

Truly awful news about Fernando, a young man's life taken by a particularly horrible disease, Football rivalries mean nothing when a tragic event such as this happens. 

Diagnosed in 2013 according to the beeb article, and it's sobering that it still claimed his life just 5 years later.

Always got the impression he was fighting it every inch of the way. Hopefully a full treatment to cure all the symptoms can be found in the near future to stop anyone else from having to suffer from it.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely