Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2023/24

Guest Moomintroll

I will never attempt to excuse what he did to his wife as that is unacceptable but outwith that I have a lot of sympathy for him. He was a poster boy & catalyst for the Sky inspired "reinvention" of football, he was never the brightest person & just wanted to play football so to have that pressure put on him destroyed him mentally & physically as he turned to the booze to cope. If he emerged nowadays he would have an army of people connected to the club & his agency protecting him & spinning the Media, wife beating arseholes are still out there in football but we will never get to hear about it. He didn't help himself a lot of the time but he appeared to be a generous person at heart & a lot of vultures took advantage of that & bled him dry while encouraging his excesses.

11 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

I will never attempt to excuse what he did to his wife as that is unacceptable but outwith that I have a lot of sympathy for him. He was a poster boy & catalyst for the Sky inspired "reinvention" of football, he was never the brightest person & just wanted to play football so to have that pressure put on him destroyed him mentally & physically as he turned to the booze to cope. If he emerged nowadays he would have an army of people connected to the club & his agency protecting him & spinning the Media, wife beating arseholes are still out there in football but we will never get to hear about it. He didn't help himself a lot of the time but he appeared to be a generous person at heart & a lot of vultures took advantage of that & bled him dry while encouraging his excesses.

His book is a tough read, especially the stuff around his childhood. Even simple things like being scared of the dark, hard to get your mind round someone like that being afraid of the dark.

He has had an army of people try to help him. Multiple times.

9 minutes ago, Romeo said:
55 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

He has had an army of people try to help him. Multiple times.

Totally agree. Shameful that he becomes yet another figure of point scoring for these freaks. On Both sides.

Last season celtic fans were demanding that everyone show sympathy to one their players who was battling with addiction and mental illness issues.

Paul Gascoigne has suffered with those issues for most of his life and it's open season on him.....

Last season celtic fans were demanding that everyone show sympathy to one their players who was battling with addiction and mental illness issues.
Paul Gascoigne has suffered with those issues for most of his life and it's open season on him.....

I wasn’t one of them, do you think his 1st words on the mic at the next UEFA conference will be ‘anyone any coke’?