Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2023/24

13 hours ago, Jacky1990 said:

Going to start this by saying I do agree with you and I try not to say *** or ****** although I no doubt have in the past, possibly even on here.

I think for most people, me anyway, there is a clear disconnect between those words and any sort of religious connotations and instead they are merely derogatory words to describe fans of the clubs themselves. It is very much a football only thing. Very much in the same way Aberdeen fans being refered to as sheep shaggers, for example.

The difference in other fans hating the OF because of sectarianism is that for some OF fans, those religious connotations are still prevalent and goes deeper than support or dislike of a particular club. The song books and history of both clubs say as much.

I'm not saying thats true for all OF fans. Nor am I saying its right for other fans to say *** and ******. But I dont think its as easy as saying certain words are always sectarian in use. For the most part, people using those words don't mean it in anything other than in a footballing capacity.

I have never been sure on the scope and breadth of the sticky bun term.  I went to a non denominational school, I.e. not a catholic one, so in the vernacular I was a proddy.  Does that make me a *** or would I have to support Rangers.  i.e. is it a religious term or a football one?

3 hours ago, ropy said:

I have never been sure on the scope and breadth of the sticky bun term.  I went to a non denominational school, I.e. not a catholic one, so in the vernacular I was a proddy.  Does that make me a *** or would I have to support Rangers.  i.e. is it a religious term or a football one?

It’s a religious term and it’s used to that effect in Northern Ireland and the West of Scotland.

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png is it f**k a religious term

It absolutely is, and anyone who thinks it isn't either a) hasn't thought for more than two seconds about it, or b) is not serious about sectarianism, and is only interested in using it to point score.

H** is a very common term in NI for Protestant. Anyone who's spent time living in NI knows this. It's the equivalent of T*** and is used as such.

14 minutes ago, G51 said:

It absolutely is, and anyone who thinks it isn't either a) hasn't thought for more than two seconds about it, or b) is not serious about sectarianism, and is only interested in using it to point score.

H** is a very common term in NI for Protestant. Anyone who's spent time living in NI knows this. It's the equivalent of T*** and is used as such.

Hand wringing, desperate for arse cheek equivalence nonsense IMO. 

3 minutes ago, G51 said:

Spoken like a guy who's talking about something he doesn't know very much about.

Yeah well, we will agree to disagree, as I suspect you will have to with the vast majority on here who you will no doubt be convinced, dont know what they are talking about. 

celtic legend has his say on anti Rangers bias claims.

Sir Kenny Dalglish shares damning claim about SFA amid Rangers controversy

Sir Kenny Dalglish claims the SFA are “leaving themselves wide open to accusations” after opting to charge Alfredo Morelos for his actions in Rangers’ win versus Hibernian but not Darren McGregor.

And Celtic legend Dalglish claims that the SFA might be showing a bias against the Ibrox striker by not pursuing action against McGregor.

Writing on the Sunday Post website, Dalglish said: “By only calling up Morelos, and not Darren McGregor for his clash with Glen Kamara, the SFA are leaving themselves wide open to accusations of having one rule for one player and a different one for another."

Edited by bennett

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Yeah well, we will agree to disagree, as I suspect you will have to with the vast majority on here who you will no doubt be convinced, dont know what they are talking about. 

Like I said, anyone who's serious about sectarianism doesn't use the language that bigots use.

I've no doubt a lot of people use it in ignorance, but there's no real excuse for that in this day and age.

I'm sure we all know people who refused to stop using bigoted language because "That's not what I mean by it" and "It's not actually offensive".

3 minutes ago, bennett said:

celtic legend has his say on anti Rangers bias claims.

Sir Kenny Dalglish shares damning claim about SFA amid Rangers controversy

Sir Kenny Dalglish claims the SFA are “leaving themselves wide open to accusations” after opting to charge Alfredo Morelos for his actions in Rangers’ win versus Hibernian but not Darren McGregor.

And Celtic legend Dalglish claims that the SFA might be showing a bias against the Ibrox striker by not pursuing action against McGregor.

Writing on the Sunday Post website, Dalglish said: “By only calling up Morelos, and not Darren McGregor for his clash with Glen Kamara, the SFA are leaving themselves wide open to accusations of having one rule for one player and a different one for another."

But both cases were considered, so no bias there, and only one of them deemed to reach the threshold for further punishment.  And you would agree that the Morelos incident was the more serious.

6 hours ago, G51 said:

It’s a religious term and it’s used to that effect in Northern Ireland and the West of Scotland.

If I am a *** through religion is it fine for me to use the word in reference to others from the proddy school system?