Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2023/24

This was inevitably going to be compared to other punishments.

Trippiers 12 game ban for telling his mates he was going to Atletico so they could make some cash off the bookies is the obvious one.

1 minute ago, G51 said:

This was inevitably going to be compared to other punishments.

Trippiers 12 game ban for telling his mates he was going to Atletico so they could make some cash off the bookies is the obvious one.

That was nothing to do with UEFA though, I don't see the point in making such comparisons across different bodies.

6 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

The standard ban for violent conduct is 3 matches - and that's for violent conduct on the pitch in the heat of the moment. If he's gone and sought him out in the tunnel a fair bit later and assaulted him in front of delegates and officials then he can hardly expect to get nothing. They've doled out the minimum they can in those circumstances, because I'm pretty sure attacking someone in the tunnel in different circumstances might have a much bigger ban associated with it.

I think the 10 games for Kudela is a bit less then I'd have liked to see, but the fact that he misses the only Euros, probably the only chance he'd ever get at a major tournament, makes it a fairly meaningful punishment nonetheless. It's much longer than the sort of punishments that have been dished out in the past.

It hadn't actually clicked with me that the Euros would be included, that is good at least.

Agreed on Kamara, I'd be interested how he reacts to it. I think if he is guilty he probably wouldn't have too many grumbles about his own ban.

According to Kamara’s lawyer, 10 matches was the maximum ban UEFA could impose on Kudela, but I’m not sure if they’ve got that mixed up like Sky did.

He also confirmed Kamara’s ban was reduced from 5 to 3 following an appeal.

3 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

That was nothing to do with UEFA though, I don't see the point in making such comparisons across different bodies.

I think it’s a fair enough comparison given it was a FIFA-imposed sanction. 

It’s now emerged that UEFA tried to give Kamara a five game ban which was appealed down to three.

Is the number of games eaten up by the Euros determined by how far the country goes? I,e a good Euros the shorter the ban?

This isn't actually clear to me. If they don't name him in the Euros squad, I'm not sure if the games will actually count, since he wouldn't be eligible to play in them anyway.

But if they do name him in the Euros squad they'd clearly be a man short for most, if not all of it.

I think it’s a fair enough comparison given it was a FIFA-imposed sanction. 

It’s now emerged that UEFA tried to give Kamara a five game ban which was appealed down to three.

The Trippier ban was administered by the English FA, but as is standard practice any ban given out by any domestic FA is still applicable in other countries.

2 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

No, the incident happened after the game.

Right, the BBC website unsurprisingly was very light on info but I see on twitter the 3 matches was for the incident after the game in the tunnel. 

11 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

The Trippier ban was administered by the English FA, but as is standard practice any ban given out by any domestic FA is still applicable in other countries.

It was appealed to FIFA and FIFA upheld the ban though through the FIFA Disciplinary Committee.

It was appealed to FIFA and FIFA upheld the ban though through the FIFA Disciplinary Committee.

The ban had nothing to do with FIFA though, they were simply ruling on whether the English FA's rules were competent.

It's like if the SFA rules had an 8 match ban for doing a somersault after you score, if a player was banned for it just before moving abroad, and then appealed to FIFA, they wouldn't be ruling on whether they had any issues with somersaults, but rather whether the SFA had correctly applied their own rules in giving out the punishment.

I think Roofe getting a 4 game ban is pretty mental. 

What's the reasoning behind that, if he had hit the keeper without the blood would it have been a 4 game ban? Genuinely intrigued with how they work that out, if you break someone's leg in a bad tackle do you get a longer suspension than a red where nobody gets hurt? 

3 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

The ban had nothing to do with FIFA though, they were simply ruling on whether the English FA's rules were competent.

It's like if the SFA rules had an 8 match ban for doing a somersault after you score, if a player was banned for it just before moving abroad, and then appealed to FIFA, they wouldn't be ruling on whether they had any issues with somersaults, but rather whether the SFA had correctly applied their own rules in giving out the punishment.

I get that, but people are still going to compare the Kudela ban to other bans in football that FIFA/UEFA have issued/upheld. Trippier and Onana are two recent ones that I’ve seen.

Whether they like it or not, it contributes to a perception that UEFA’s efforts in this regard are lacklustre. Certainly some of the reactions from black footballers and fans seems to indicate that they simultaneously feel that the Kudela ban is too short, and that any ban for Kamara at all is an injustice.

32 minutes ago, G51 said:

How does the Kudela suspension for the Euros work does anyone know? Does he have to be named in the Czech squad to begin serving it?

You would have thought so.  10 games including games he wasn't selected for would be pretty laughable, even for UEFA's notorious racist friendly punishments board.

Edit:  racism is twice as walloping a racist who abuses you, seemingly.  What an absolute joke.  The perception isn't that UEFA are light on racism.  It's a reality that they are.  Surprised they didn't give the club a £2000 fine just to rub it in.   

Edited by Savage Henry

2 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Hmm think there's no doubt that Kudela deserves more than 10.

3 games for Kamara depends on what he's actually been found guilty of I suppose? Obviously it's for assaulting him but not sure what he actually did.

If he lamped the guy he deserves no ban at all.  I don't mean that flippantly, either.  

I think Roofe getting a 4 game ban is pretty mental. 
What's the reasoning behind that, if he had hit the keeper without the blood would it have been a 4 game ban? Genuinely intrigued with how they work that out, if you break someone's leg in a bad tackle do you get a longer suspension than a red where nobody gets hurt? 

I think the extent of the injury played a big factor. If he hits him in the chest and it’s a few bruises then it’s going to be less, a bit like if someone is speeding and crashes their car and hits a person v if they hit a tree. I think it’s a fair ban, it was very reckless. The 2 shouldn’t be related but if the racism doesn’t happen then a lot more would’ve been made about the kick.

The ban on Kudela isn’t enough. He’ll miss a few qualifiers I’d imagine and won’t miss many proper games, no real punishment for him or the club.

Kamara is I guess fair enough, he shouldn’t be punished for “assaulting” a racist c**t but those are the rules so there’s no real leeway.