Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2023/24

16 minutes ago, AJF said:

I’ve no idea what that means.

I think what he means in her role as FM she has to appear to be seen as being empathetic and that sending condolences on behalf of Scotland is the right thing to do however personally she would rather do the opposite.

He was certainly a controversial old coot was Phil

47 minutes ago, AJF said:

We have quite a long list of high profile people/clubs then that can no longer be considered anti-racist. Here’s a wee selection:

Why have you posted what you’ve posted on a football fans forum? I don’t get it.

2 hours ago, AJF said:

Well, you seemed to be suggesting that paying respects to the passing of Prince Philip somehow undermined the stance of anti-racism.

No not at all. What I’m saying is if my club had made what appears to be quite a strong statement against racism one day then we would be undermining our own message by paying homage to someone who was quite notorious for being a bit racist in his views and commentary the very next day.

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

Why have you posted what you’ve posted on a football fans forum? I don’t get it.

Surely that’s pretty clear? I was trying to establish if the claim of “anyone that sends condolences following the death of Prince Philip cannot be anti-racist” applied to everyone equally or if it was just being used as a stick to beat Rangers with.

14 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

No not at all. What I’m saying is if my club had made what appears to be quite a strong statement against racism one day then we would be undermining our own message by paying homage to someone who was quite notorious for being a bit racist in his views and commentary the very next day.

So, you were saying that sending condolences to Prince Philip undermines the notion of being anti-racist? You’ve just pretty said what I said but with more words.

1 hour ago, Jinky67 said:

I think what he means in her role as FM she has to appear to be seen as being empathetic and that sending condolences on behalf of Scotland is the right thing to do however personally she would rather do the opposite.

He was certainly a controversial old coot was Phil

35 minutes ago, CCB19035 said:

As an individual she might well oppose racism, in terms of calling people racist things, and generally being hateful or prejudiced against a specific type of person (sound familiar rangers fans) and all that jazz. 

Being a part of the political elite that probably serves her quite well, it's quite unlikely she'd want the structural change that would be required to truly abolish racism. 

So essentially Nicola Sturgeon gets a pass because she has to appear to be empathetic due to the position she holds? Deary me.

1 minute ago, AJF said:

So essentially Nicola Sturgeon gets a pass because she has to appear to be empathetic due to the position she holds? Deary me.

Don’t shoot the messenger mate, I was only trying to decipher what he meant 🤣

1 minute ago, Jinky67 said:

Don’t shoot the messenger mate, I was only trying to decipher what he meant 🤣

I get that mate, I really do haha. Just felt it was easier to multi quote and reply to both in the same post!

1 hour ago, Theatom said:

Politics forum for this pish

That would be fair comment if some fans of the club I've supported for over 50 years didn't glorify themselves in royalty, Union Jacks, National Anthems and Rule Britannias. (Non-football interest nutters associate themselves with other clubs too including another biggish team in Glasgow.) Trouble is, some will regard Prince Philip's death in the same way as if the Club captain had died immediately after scoring the winning goal in the Champions League final.  Personally, I can do without the religious/royalty/unionist pish, but I accept that I'm a minority in the Rangers support, many of whom seem to think/assume that it's a package deal. I'm not "happy" that the Duke has died, but I can't say it will cause me any grief.  Edinburgh will get along without him just fine.  In the grand scheme of things, with covid, brexit, poverty, global warming, nukes, it's pretty small beer.  If some think I'm an unfeeling grinch, OK, but I'll get over it.  The media will play this "oh woe are we" stuff for weeks.  Aliens could land at Anniesland Cross tonight and it wouldn't get a mention.  At least things aren't quite as bad here as they are in parts of Vanuatu, where some considered him to be divine. 

1 minute ago, Yflab said:

Aye. A racist and a bigot.

You’re trying too hard M8. It’s a picture dug out the archive of a significant figure over the last 70 years of these isles. And he got invited to a Rangers game. And got his picture taken (as you’d expect, no?). That is all.