Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2023/24

25 minutes ago, AJF said:

In what sense is it not comparable? The scale of fans at Ibrox may be higher but they’ve essentially done the same thing and disregarded the same restrictions.

The scale is literally the point. Lockdown, and bans on crowds, is to prevent "large scale gatherings".

If you can't see why 5000 fans gathering for an hour is more likely to cause issues than 20 kids standing about for 15 minutes then you're purposely being obtuse.

Edited by RandomGuy.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

The scale is literally the point. Lockdown, and bans on crowds, is to prevent "large scale gatherings".

If you can't see why 5000 fans gathering for an hour is more likely to cause issues than 20 kids standing about for 15 minutes then you're purposely being obtuse.

If you think that fans gathering outside the stadium is a superspreader event then he's not the only one being obtuse.

The issue is they've broken the law. This isn't going to lead to a surge in rona cases in Glasgow. Same way the St Johnstone fans won't lead to one in Perth.

The law does not distinguish that 5000 is worse than 20 - they're both equally wrong.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

They’ve both disregarded lockdown restrictions though. Whether it was a couple of hundred (as reported in the press - not 20 kids) or 5,000, you can’t say one is fine and the other isn’t.

2 minutes ago, G51 said:

If you think that fans gathering outside the stadium is a superspreader event then he's not the only one being obtuse.

The issue is they've broken the law. This isn't going to lead to a surge in rona cases in Glasgow. Same way the St Johnstone fans won't lead to one in Perth.

The law does not distinguish that 5000 is worse than 20 - they're both equally wrong.

I can say one is far worse than the other, quite happily. 

I'd be surprised if the Government didn't think the same, either.

Scottish football has consistently given them reasons to slow down the return to matches, this is just another example. 

In a statement, Ch Supt Mark Sutherland from Police Scotland said: "About 10am a large number of supporters gathered outside Ibrox Stadium and a number of pyrotechnic devices were set off.

"I would remind supporters that in line with current Scottish government coronavirus guidelines, all gatherings are currently prohibited and we would urge members of the public to comply with these restrictions.

"Our priority is public safety and an appropriate policing plan was in place and officers engaged with those present to explain and encourage compliance with restrictions."

No one has been arrested.

2 minutes ago, Drew Brees said:

In a statement, Ch Supt Mark Sutherland from Police Scotland said: "About 10am a large number of supporters gathered outside Ibrox Stadium and a number of pyrotechnic devices were set off.

"I would remind supporters that in line with current Scottish government coronavirus guidelines, all gatherings are currently prohibited and we would urge members of the public to comply with these restrictions.

"Our priority is public safety and an appropriate policing plan was in place and officers engaged with those present to explain and encourage compliance with restrictions."

The establishment is back baby. 

(Page 1234 btw)

Scottish football has consistently given them reasons to slow down the return to matches, this is just another example. 

You can say it if you want, it's not the issue here. The issue is a simple one of compliance. Both sets of supporters broke the law.

There is nothing in the law that says "Crowds with more than X attendees, but less than Y, are punishable. Crowds with more than Y are punishable with an even harsher sentence".

That's pertinent, because the way our criminal justice system is supposed to work is that more severe crimes are met with more severe punishment.

This will not factor into the Government's decision making if they've been honest about what is required to get crowds back into football, which is exclusively COVID data as far as we can tell.

No doubt some absolute drydicks will be on here later though posting that it would actually be good and correct if the Scottish Government stopped crowds going to the football as a way of punishing people for having a good time during a shit year.

6 minutes ago, Drew Brees said:

Could've have funded their Christmas night out with the Covid tickets.

10 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Was a few hundred St Johnstone fans gathering last weekend another example?

1 minute ago, G51 said:

You can say it if you want, it's not the issue here. The issue is a simple one of compliance. Both sets of supporters broke the law.

There is nothing in the law that says "Crowds with more than X attendees, but less than Y, are punishable. Crowds with more than Y are punishable with an even harsher sentence".

Yeah, I've never claimed Saints fans never broke the law m8.

I'm saying Rangers fans of all ages gathering in massive numbers is worse than a bunch of kids gathering in small numbers.

You continue digging ditches to drag the conversation elsewhere if you need to.

Just now, AJF said:

Was a few hundred St Johnstone fans gathering last weekend another example?

Yes.

It was stupid and selfish, we'll all get a party once this is done, these folk aren't helping.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Yeah, I've never claimed Saints fans never broke the law m8.

I'm saying Rangers fans of all ages gathering in massive numbers is worse than a bunch of kids gathering in small numbers.

You continue digging ditches to drag the conversation elsewhere if you need to.

And I'm saying it isn't, because there is no distinction within the law between the two crimes.

Feel free to justify why the bigger crowd is a worse offence.

4 minutes ago, G51 said:

Because more people = more risk, + more people = higher profile.

Both of these are why the Government will both mention this, and act on it, while not bothering about 20 kids hugging a bus.

It's a very simple premise, and I'm disappointed you've gone down the route of making yourself look thick to simply defend your club.

4 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Yes, but 5000 Is ExacTLy tHe SAmE aS 150.

#rangersnumberwang

My original point, which seems to be a bit lost in all this, is those working themselves up into a frenzy to criticise Rangers this weekend said absolutely nothing last weekend.

I 100% accept it is wrong, but forgive me for not caring about people criticising our fans gathering that seemingly had no problem with another set of fans gathering.

And I'm saying it isn't, because there is no distinction within the law between the two crimes.
The polis have turned a blind eye in both instances clearly, I dont think it's a legal issue.

I think all individuals have acted wrongly but I have a degree of understanding why.

To suggest that this incident is not more egregious is nonsense. There have literally been a couple hundred fold more breaches of the law, whether pursued or not, in the instance today.

Again, both were wrong and all concerned should be jailed and flogged. Cretins.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Both of these are why the Government will both mention this, and act on it, while not bothering about 20 kids hugging a bus.

It's a very simple premise, and I'm disappointed you've gone down the route of making yourself look thick to simply defend your club.

What do you think their action will likely be? 

More people only equals more risk when that risk is greater than negligible to begin with. 

Like i said, if you genuinely believe there’s going to be COVID spread as a result of this then I’ve no idea where you’ve been for the last few months.

Edited by G51

4 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

What do you think their action will likely be? 

I've no idea, another "yellow card" at worst, but more than likely just kicking the can further down the road, while also providing them more ammunition against fans if, say, folk were trying to push to get things like the alcohol ban lifted.

2 minutes ago, G51 said:

More people only equals more risk when that risk is greater than negligible to begin with. 

Like i said, if you genuinely believe there’s going to be COVID spread as a result of this then I’ve no idea where you’ve been for the last few months.

Where have I said it'll spread the virus?

Its a larger risk of some form of spread, however unlikely, than fewer fans. If there wasn't some risk than we'd all already be packing out stadiums again.