Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2023/24

1 hour ago, RossDee01 said:

If Harry Maguire is worth £80 million then why not? As much as he definitely isn't worth £50m it's about time people like McLeish came out and said these things rather than the usual "oh but he plays in a farmers league" pish you get from the likes of Charlie Nicholas. The English media have done it for years, and it's lead to guys like Harry Maguire costing £80m which is utter nonsense. As good as van Dijk was up here you'd have laughed if someone came out in the papers and said he was worth £75m as well. A couple of years after selling him for £12m Liverpool pay that £75m.

It's about time we stopped getting shafted up here so I'm all for comments like that.

Does that include the media talking down young Scottish talent so the old firm can sign them for relative peanuts? Whilst hyping foreign duds who are signed for millions and flop?

van Dijk proved himself and a desperate Liverpool paid a fee others wouldn't (see Maguire). Goldson wasn't good enough for a newly promoted team.

39 minutes ago, AJF said:

I think McLeish is maybe using the Scott McKenna valuation method when talking about Goldson here. You just double what his real worth is.

I'm confused. Was I supposed to take offence to this?

10 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I'm confused. Was I supposed to take offence to this?

Certainly no offence intended at all, I was merely pointing out the similarities in the over-inflated valuations of McKenna that got trotted out which I'm sure you also ridiculed.

24 minutes ago, AJF said:

Certainly no offence intended at all, I was merely pointing out the similarities in the over-inflated valuations of McKenna that got trotted out which I'm sure you also ridiculed.

Aberdeen said this is our asking price. A club offered to meet it with caveats. Aberdeen refused.

Several years later the player leaves for a lesser fee in the middle of a pandemic.

I fail to see the correlation.

5 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Aberdeen said this is our asking price. A club offered to meet it with caveats. Aberdeen refused.

Several years later the player leaves for a lesser fee in the middle of a pandemic.

I fail to see the correlation.

The correlation is you had ex-players touting McKenna as a £10m rated player which is more than 3 times what he went for.

As far as I was aware, no club offered to meet that. Villa offered an initial loan with the option to buy for £6.5m. Essentially, they wanted a loan deal with the option to just send him back if they wanted, no obligation to buy.

18 minutes ago, AJF said:

The correlation is you had ex-players touting McKenna as a £10m rated player which is more than 3 times what he went for.

As far as I was aware, no club offered to meet that. Villa offered an initial loan with the option to buy for £6.5m. Essentially, they wanted a loan deal with the option to just send him back if they wanted, no obligation to buy.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/aberdeen-fc/1812788/afc-dons-turn-down-defenders-transfer-request-and-tell-suitors-6m-remains-their-asking-priceaberdeen-stand-firm-over-mckenna-valuation/

And here is a Dons legend touting him for £10m

https://insidefutbol.com/2018/08/22/scott-mckenna-has-a-price-aberdeen-legend-on-celtics-defensive-target/387220/

We then accepted a lower amount the hoped as (and you may have noticed) we're in the middle of a pandemic and were required to sell one of our three main assets to keep the lights on.

EDIT: And to answer a question no you wouldn't have found a Dons fan who thought he was worth £10m. You'd have found plenty who hoped the club would hold firm for what they wanted though.

Edited by Merkland Red

45 minutes ago, G51 said:

The number came from, and I quote, "Omar Chaudhuri, chief intelligence officer at 21st Club, the football data analysis firm".

I'd be wary of any "data" firm thats been around for almost a decade yet doesn't have a single official link up with any club. 

They absolutely reek of a "buzzword" company who make money by selling the idea that they make money, without ever actually doing anything.

12 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

The guy us no better than Phil McMadeupname but is allowed the Athletic website to post his fansite crap.

Check the guys twitter. He's a moron.

Yeah that's not a reflection of Jordan's stuff at all.

I didn't read the article but I'll comment anyway.  £50M for Goldson is just nonsense from Eck.  BUT Goldson is having the season of his life and is irreplaceable for us at the moment.  Solid in defence, likes a goal and not afraid to play, often decent, long diagonals?  Best CB in Scotland right now by a considerable distance.