Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2023/24

15 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

Jinky67 mentioned Iain Ferguson who was a much travelled striker that had a 2 year bit-part stint at Rangers in the early 80’s. Not known for being a hatchet man, plus everyone knows strikers can’t tackle anyway. 

If he meant Ian Ferguson the midfielder from the late 80s and 90’s, he was never one to shirk a tackle but certainly wasn’t one for going around kicking everything or trying to break legs.

Yes that's exactly what I said earlier on. He was meaning Ian.

I never said we have been successful, I said we have improved.
I feel we are heading in the right direction, but it's going to be very difficult to compete with Celtic in the short term due to various factors.
Is one of the various factors having worse players in pretty much every position bar, maybe, goalkeeper?

Cause that would seem the only factor tbh. Unless Celtic appoint a simpleton as manager, which Lennon isn't, then I don't see how Rangers beat Celtic in any meaningful form. You might beat them in a one off game but you won't out perform them over a season.

13 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

Is one of the various factors having worse players in pretty much every position bar, maybe, goalkeeper?

Cause that would seem the only factor tbh. Unless Celtic appoint a simpleton as manager, which Lennon isn't, then I don't see how Rangers beat Celtic in any meaningful form. You might beat them in a one off game but you won't out perform them over a season.

Well that’s a simple way to look at it, yes. The disparity in resources between the two teams will mean Celtic will always be able to attract (and retain) higher quality players.

4 minutes ago, AJF said:

Well that’s a simple way to look at it, yes. The disparity in resources between the two teams will mean Celtic will always be able to attract (and retain) higher quality players.

Maybe you could close the gap through some kind of "Creative Accounting" scheme?

1 hour ago, AJF said:

Leverkusen a cut above but what a European campaign it’s been, which started nearly 400 days ago.

Punched above our weight and delivered some excellent results.

Scotland will have 2 champions league teams from next season too.

AYE WE GET THAT BUT HUV YI IMPROVED LIKE REALLY IMPROVED?! 

2 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Yes that's exactly what I said earlier on. He was meaning Ian.

Whichever one it was that played in the 90’s, midfielder, awfully cheery guy. Always remember him being in everyone’s face in a Scott Brownesque sort of way the only difference being Scott Brown can play football 😉

5 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Whichever one it was that played in the 90’s, midfielder, awfully cheery guy. Always remember him being in everyone’s face in a Scott Brownesque sort of way the only difference being Scott Brown can play football 😉

Iain was the one they signed from Dundee. A kinda David van Day look-a-like and play-a-like. He later was a Scottish Cup runner-up for Dundee United (see below) and a Scottish Cup winner with Motherwell.

Ian Ferguson scored the winning goal in the 1987 SC  final in which Iain Ferguson played for DU.

Just to confuse things further there was another Ian Ferguson who bummed about with lower league sides such as Hearts, Raith and Ayr.

Ah well, the Euro dream is over (for about a month?..)

I was worried Rangers would lose by 3 or 4 yesterday (as they were already as good  as out) which could have had a negative psychological impact on our league season so in that respect it wasn’t too bad.

Looks like that may have been Alfredo’s last game for us so I wish him well wherever he goes. His spell ended with a bit of a whimper though eh? They were saying on Superscoreboard the other day that Roofe is the highest paid player in Scotland so I doubt Rangers would sanction a transfer for £4m-£5m plus that kind of salary if a deal for Morelos wasn’t already agreed. (Especially given Rangers only play one up top and they’ve now got 5 forwards)

44 minutes ago, thepundit said:

I was worried Rangers would lose by 3 or 4 yesterday (as they were already as good  as out) which could have had a negative psychological impact on our league season so in that respect it wasn’t too bad.

Looks like that may have been Alfredo’s last game for us so I wish him well wherever he goes. His spell ended with a bit of a whimper though eh? They were saying on Superscoreboard the other day that Roofe is the highest paid player in Scotland so I doubt Rangers would sanction a transfer for £4m-£5m plus that kind of salary if a deal for Morelos wasn’t already agreed. (Especially given Rangers only play one up top and they’ve now got 5 forwards)

I very highly doubt that this is true. I don’t know where it’s come from but I’d file it under “pish”.

45 minutes ago, thepundit said:

Who is buying the tub?

58 minutes ago, thepundit said:

If that is the case then it would suggest that Rangers haven’t learned from the sins of the past.

This is a club who posted an 11 million loss last June haven’t sold anyone for any notable fee in that time that I can recall and were paying an average of 200k year less than Celtic

Now they are paying the highest wages in Scotland? 

Edited by Jinky67

2 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

If that is the case then it would suggest that Rangers haven’t learned from the sins of the past.

This is a club who posted an 11 million loss last June haven’t sold anyone for any notable fee in that time that I can recall and were paying an average of 200k year less than Celtic

That was actually per person mate. The average salary for Celtic player is c.£250k per annum than a Rangers player.

Both clubs are miles ahead of the rest though.

C87A235C-86BB-46CB-A929-6FE064077A39.png

5 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

That was actually per person mate. The average salary for Celtic player is c.£250k per annum than a Rangers player.

Both clubs are miles ahead of the rest though.

C87A235C-86BB-46CB-A929-6FE064077A39.png

Yeah that’s what I meant 😂

Especially at a time of real financial uncertainty I imagine clubs will be looking to cut their cloth a bit with match day revenues taking a massive hit during this period.

13 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Aye, but you’re forgetting Rangers £11m loss has mostly been nullified by pre-orders from the shirt-peelers 😋