Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2023/24

Billy Gilmour bossing it for Chelsea last night made me wonder.  If he had decided to stay at Rangers would he be getting game time in the first team by now?

I realise that he's had a year of coaching at Chelsea with better players around him, so I've no idea if he would have progressed to the same level up here.  I do however think that the answer as to whether he'd have been trusted in a game like the one against Hearts at the weekend would be a resounding no.  We don't trust our youth players and it's been a problem for as long as I've been following Rangers.

Now that the season is all but over, it's maybe time to think about dropping some of the players that have let Gerrard down time and again in the domestic games and let the youngsters have a go.

On ‎03‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 02:33, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Is there a club around who wants to spend £50 million on 5 poor, shitebag Scottish Premiership players?

That is very optimistic.

Billy Gilmour bossing it for Chelsea last night made me wonder.  If he had decided to stay at Rangers would he be getting game time in the first team by now?
I realise that he's had a year of coaching at Chelsea with better players around him, so I've no idea if he would have progressed to the same level up here.  I do however think that the answer as to whether he'd have been trusted in a game like the one against Hearts at the weekend would be a resounding no.  We don't trust our youth players and it's been a problem for as long as I've been following Rangers.
Now that the season is all but over, it's maybe time to think about dropping some of the players that have let Gerrard down time and again in the domestic games and let the youngsters have a go.

Don’t come on here with your well constructed posts, asking relevant questions about your team. Thats not what this thread is for!!!!

1 hour ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Is this issue not (and this isn’t a dig at the Sevco supporters) that the fans of the club don’t have the patience to allow that? If Gerrard blooded youngsters and lost the next two home games would the majority of fans not be baying for blood?

1 minute ago, Sortmeout said:

Is this issue not (and this isn’t a dig at the Sevco supporters) that the fans of the club don’t have the patience to allow that? If Gerrard blooded youngsters and lost the next two home games would the majority of fans not be baying for blood?

I think that is definitely part of it, and we're probably equally to blame for it.  The demand to be challenging and winning is so great that a manager taking the gamble of throwing in an 18 year old has to be sure he's going to succeed or he'll be eaten alive.

I think Celtic have been in a privileged position during our Banter Era where they've had a bit of elbow room to let some younger players room to breathe and grow into the first team.

This might not go down well, but for me, this season was our last chance to stop 10IAR and we've spectacularly blown it.  They won't allow it to slip through their fingers next season.  We should be taking the best 4 or 5 youngsters and using them between now and the end of the season with a view to properly blooding them next season.  The problem will be the fans that are demanding we match Celtic and stop them winning 10IAR, which I no longer think is possible.  Bigger picture time.*

*tin hat on.

^^^No need for tin hat, SpiderBear, you are correct in what you say. However, this is exactly the strategy that should have been pursued 8 years ago when Sevco started life in the Jellytots League.
Instead, it was hell-for-leather superspend on a diet of arrogance, entitlement and hubris.
Looking forward to the funeral. [emoji3545]

4 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

^^^No need for tin hat, SpiderBear, you are correct in what you say. However, this is exactly the strategy that should have been pursued 8 years ago when Sevco started life in the Jellytots League.

I don't think you'll find any Rangers fans on here that will disagree.

2 hours ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Gilmour had some game last night. Looks to be a real player. Stevie Clarke would have been very impressed.

13 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

I don't think you'll find any Rangers fans on here that will disagree.

You wouldn't have gotten out of 'the jellytots league' with a team of youngsters, they'd have been snapped like twigs week after week no matter how 'talented' they might have been.

5 minutes ago, Henrik's tongue said:

Gilmour had some game last night. Looks to be a real player. Stevie Clarke would have been very impressed.

I saw someone put up a Scotland team comprised of 3 left backs, 6 central midfielders and Forrest playing attacking wide right.

Didn't look like the worst Scotland team i've ever seen, tbf.

eta: 

Edited by KnightswoodBear

1 minute ago, The_Judge said:

You wouldn't have gotten out of 'the jellytots league' with a team of youngsters, they'd have been snapped like twigs week after week no matter how 'talented' they might have been.

A blend of youth and older players suited to the league in question would have been a better recipe than paying Kevin Fucking Kyle 8 grand a week.

1 minute ago, KnightswoodBear said:

A blend of youth and older players suited to the league in question would have been a better recipe than paying Kevin Fucking Kyle 8 grand a week.

Ha Ha.  Putting my gran in goals for you would've been a better recipe than paying Kevin Fucking Kyle 8 grand a week BUT my point still stands.

1 minute ago, Romeo said:
8 minutes ago, The_Judge said:
Ha Ha.  Putting my gran in goals for you would've been a better recipe than paying Kevin Fucking Kyle 8 grand a week BUT my point still stands.

Can your gran play in the middle of a back 3?

Maybe...she's GRANt Hanley :unsure2: