Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2023/24

11 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

I remember the same outlook the Aberdeen fans had last season when they played Burnley and it didn't work out that way.
If CQN can beat Killie and Progres can beat rangers nothing is guaranteed so early in the season.
It's probably the best time to play any team at a perceived higher level.  

You make good points.

This early in the season is the best time to play teams from a higher level.

I also think McInness showed Burnley far to much respect. Post match he was bleating on about how getting knocked out was a great result as it was a narrow defeat.

Edited by Grangemouth Bairn

4 hours ago, TavTastic said:

That is a very good point but I'd still hope for the easiest draw possible here.

The Kups will cause Legia a few problems,The Danes are always strong in the qualifiers would take Wolves before them.
All tough ties not much between any of them your a betting man put your dosh on the seeded teams probably a better chance of you changing your handle before the season starts. 

Edited by wastecoatwilly

2 hours ago, TavTastic said:

These are our potential EL opponents:

1 Wolverhampton Wanderers FC (ENG) / Crusaders FC (NIR) 
2 Legia Warszawa (POL) / KuPS Kuopio (FIN) 
3 KAA Gent (BEL) / FC Viitorul (ROU) 
4 FC Midtjylland (DEN) 
5 AZ Alkmaar (NED) / BK Häcken (SWE) 

Who would we want to draw? I'd have Legia as first choice then Gent as if we got past those sides we'd be seeded for QR4. Midtjylland are also beatable imo.

Wolves would destroy us frankly and that's the only side I'm desperate to avoid.

Despite decent results for Scottish clubs against English opposition in recent years I would prefer to avoid wolves.

Legia is probably the easiest of the ties if they progress. 

These are our potential EL opponents:
1 Wolverhampton Wanderers FC (ENG) / Crusaders FC (NIR) 
2 Legia Warszawa (POL) / KuPS Kuopio (FIN) 
3 KAA Gent (BEL) / FC Viitorul (ROU) 
4 FC Midtjylland (DEN) 
5 AZ Alkmaar (NED) / BK Häcken (SWE) 
Who would we want to draw? I'd have Legia as first choice then Gent as if we got past those sides we'd be seeded for QR4. Midtjylland are also beatable imo.
Wolves would destroy us frankly and that's the only side I'm desperate to avoid.

From an away day point of view, there’s some decent destinations there. Not Wolverhampton of course.

Was at the game today (Rovers fan). Thought Rangers knocked the ball about well at times and also forced the keeper into a few good saves. Ojo looks a player and Jones had a good first half too. Your new signing who came on looked a bit hesitant though I thought, but imagine he will take time to settle in.

Rangers probably the better side overall but thought Rovers could've nicked it in the last 20 or so mins when the young players with fresh legs were on.

2 minutes ago, Broon_100 said:

So that was frustrating as hell. Yes, it's easy to criticise the players and some of them do deserve it. However, whilst I agree Swanson wasn't at his best his first chance was actually quite hard, it bounced up and he had to take it on the run. Not easy. I do think he should  have shot earlier when through on goal but that Saints all over - not instinctive enough. Everything is so slow and mechanical. 

Anyway, the first 35 mins were good. Murray was pushing in behind, we totally dominated but when your players cant put a ball in an open goal what chance do you have? We have a real problem in the striking department. We should have been home and dry.

On to the next major problem. Central defence. It's easy to blame Ando but Kerr was brutal today. He's always been an aggressive defender in that he likes to step in and get close but today he was like a puppy chasing a toy. That's not the first pen he's given away by getting way to close into the back of a defender and it wont be the last. Second goal neither defender covered themselves in glory. Too easy to slip a ball through them.

Second half was so poor. We took off Spoony which I assume was because of the dead leg. I've always said we play better as a team with Spoony on, much better shape. When he went off we went chasing the game and got caught on the counter. Liam should have sat in front of the defence at that point covering Muzz chasing forward but instead it was a bit of a shambles.  

Last 20 mins was just a procession of us putting on strikers not good enough for this league. Would anyone be sad to see those 3 strikers leave?

Lots to do but most of that needs to be in the boardroom and the managers office I'm afraid. 

I see that The Big Ecumenical Hoose is working as planned.  Hitherto we were nothing but a repository for the weak and feeble minded but we're now a repository for teams' match reports.

Not a surprise as we are P&B's most posted-about team and all roads lead to Rangers.

Wee note to @Broon_100I just adjusted my Premiership prediction table to have St Johnstone slugging it out with Killie and St Mirren in the bottom three.  Am I being harsh?

20 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Wee note to @Broon_100I just adjusted my Premiership prediction table to have St Johnstone slugging it out with Killie and St Mirren in the bottom three.  Am I being harsh?

No idea why my post in the Saints thread ended up in here - weird.  To answer your question though, depends if the chairman gets his cheque book out. We need a central defender and 2 strikers. If not, we will be down there.

8 hours ago, TavTastic said:

Wolves are much better than Burnley were. Burnley were just a very stuffy team in a weaker Premier league. That didn't translate well to being strong favourites against Aberdeen having most of the ball. Wolves have a lot more technical ability and genuine pace. 

Celtic were much better then and City were poor defensively that season.

I know that Rangers people are good at rewriting history, but that’s up there with the best.

8 hours ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Strange outlook,considering Aberdeen had two 0-0's against Burnley and Celtic had a 3-3 an 1-1 against Man city.
I don't watch the English game but the Scots usually do well against our big brothers.

Minor point, but Aberdeen had two 1.1 draws after 180 minutes.

25 minutes ago, Broon_100 said:

No idea why my post in the Saints thread ended up in here - weird.  To answer your question though, depends if the chairman gets his cheque book out. We need a central defender and 2 strikers. If not, we will be down there.

Hope you get things sorted.  Tommy is one of the good guys.

2 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Both teams, Burnley and Wolves, much of a muchness at the ends of the respective seasons.

My point was a lot more about style. Burnley scored very few goals and played a style that suited being the underdog in the league rather than being a favourite. They really struggled in Europe and didn't win a game within 90 minutes.

8 minutes ago, TavTastic said:

My point was a lot more about style. Burnley scored very few goals and played a style that suited being the underdog in the league rather than being a favourite. They really struggled in Europe and didn't win a game within 90 minutes.

Whereas Wolves have scooshed through their recent European ties?

46 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

It’s usually horrible to see serfs getting beaten to a pulp by their masters but I would enjoy Rangers playing Wolves.

The West Midlands is a bit grim but living in Wolverhampton isn't quite serfdom...