Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2023/24

1 hour ago, MSU said:

The numbers look like the huge jump was very much Sevco related. The drop off the cliff less so. Seven consecutive years below 50,000 is tricky to ignore.

There's some truth there.  

The huge jump is the very clear marker of the pining which Tony sees such pressing need to deny.

Yes, the gates were below 50,000 for a spell before Rangers went under.  In the final year before that event though, they were only just below - indeed the figures were recovering at that point.

It's also the case that since the turn of the century, Celtic's two seasons of lowest attendance fell during the years without Rangers.  In fact four of their five poorest seasons in terms of attendance, fell during the four when Rangers weren't alongside them.  

When we consider that they won the League during those seasons (in contrast to what happened in the Mowbray year) the pattern becomes yet clearer.  

As I said before, other factors, such as form and managerial appointments, can play a part in such fluctuations.  To deny that Rangers' absence had any impact however, despite these figures, is just crazy.

ETA: Actually, an edit of this post is required because I'm mistaken in that third paragraph.  In the final year before Rangers expired, gates were in fact above the 50,000 mark; they were just a little below it in the previous season.  We therefore needn't ignore that run of "seven consecutive years below 50,000" because it didn't occur.  I made the same mistake I presume you did, of seeing the Orange line as representing such a threshold.  However, it represents an average over the entire period, and is only quite so high, because gates soared to such an extent from 2016 on.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

13 hours ago, Dindeleux said:

How’s the liver mate?

Perfect - and thanks for asking buddy.  It gets well-exercised.  I won't mark it on a scale of five to zero as that would seem like gloating.

4 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

The relevance of the past 3 of 4 pages to the thread? Maybe go and take your discussions about sellik’s achievements away to a sellik thread?

The recent posters are innocuous enough, young Pete.  For many of them the Rangers threads are at the heart of their P&B lives.

Did you manage to watch any of our game tonight?  Thoughts?

The recent posters are innocuous enough, young Pete.  For many of them the Rangers threads are at the heart of their P&B lives.
Did you manage to watch any of our game tonight?  Thoughts?

Saddens me to say but at the moment we look very much like a one man team. If he’s not on the pitch, we just ain’t winning. When he is, we do.

(And for the occasional followers of The Worlds Most Successful Team I mean Alfie btw, not our wee brother in the black. )

1 hour ago, MSU said:

The numbers look like the huge jump was very much Sevco related. The drop off the cliff less so. Seven consecutive years below 50,000 is tricky to ignore.

I think it definitely had something to do with it. I think Brendan Rodgers had a huge impact as well. Had Deila remained in charge, or had they appointed someone like Owen Coyle, would there have been such a significant increase? I don't think so.

18 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

Saddens me to say but at the moment we look very much like a one man team. If he’s not on the pitch, we just ain’t winning. When he is, we do.

(And for the occasional followers of The Worlds Most Successful Team I mean Alfie btw, not our wee brother in the black. )

I'm looking for a headline tomorrow that says something like:

Bachman sending off a game Turner.  Diddy seethe in Overdrive.

Edited by The_Kincardine

9 hours ago, Tartantony said:
9 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:
I think it's very wise of you to leave it there.
Still not really embracing the Dumbarton thing, are we?

Haha Do i have to have an irrational hatred of Celtic now that i go to Dumbarton. 

No, but you should develop an entirely rational one.

9 hours ago, MSU said:

Looking at the average attendances from 2006, it looks to me like the drop off was Tony Mowbray inspired in 2009/10 where below 50,000 crowds were maintained until Sevco saved Scottish football by returning to the top flight in 2016/17. The orange line is the average from 2006 to 2019 (to date).

Screen Shot 2019-02-20 at 4.37.29 PM.png

It's worth highlighting the error in this post again.

The average attendance figure for 2011/12, the final season before Rangers vanished from the top flight, did not fall below the 50,000 mark.

We therefore don't have the unbroken spell of gates below that level, that you point to.  Instead we have a two year spell, with the second one very close to that level.  We then have a four year spell of gates well below that threshold.  That spell coincides absolutely with Rangers not being around the division in any form.

No, but you should develop an entirely rational one.
Why?

You're constantly moaning about people supporting the OF and depriving the wee teams of local supporters but when an OF fan decides to support a local team instead of the OF you decide they're doing it wrong.

You're all over the place again (just like your attendances argument).

6 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

The average attendance figure for 2011/12, the final season before Rangers vanished from the top flight, did not fall below the 50,000 mark.

We therefore don't have the unbroken spell of gates below that level, that you point to.  Instead we have a two year spell, with the second one very close to that level.  We then have a four year spell of gates well below that threshold.  That spell coincides absolutely with Rangers not being around the division in any form.

Or we could just correct my post to say seven consecutive below-average seasons under 51,000. 

6 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Probably covered earlier, but are these figures based on Celtic's reported attendances or actual attendances?