Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2023/24

3 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I'm pretty certain that the figures published in support of the ludicrous Armageddon narrative,  pointed to drops in gates at Kilmarnock, Motherwell and most notably at Celtic, while ignoring that other clubs saw their gates pretty much break even, or actually improve.

If I've got that wrong, you'll obviously be able to expose it.

Do you agree that since the decline of rangers Celtic go from strength to strength ?

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Are you really saying that the Rangers situation was entirely incidental to the decline in Celtic's gates?

And that it is also incidental to the fact that they've recently got better again?

Is that honestly what you're attempting to argue here?

The gates were declining before they died. We’re back to O’Neill  levels because of a feelgood feeling under Brendan but it probably won’t last. 

Celtic might not need Rangers* to survive but they need them in order to thrive. The 25,000 fans that disappeared from Parkhead (despite them winning the league & being more closely challenged than last season) proves this.

I don't get Celtic fans taking umbridge at this. Football and its Clubs was built on local rivalries.

8 minutes ago, sjc said:

Celtic might not need Rangers* to survive but they need them in order to thrive. The 25,000 fans that disappeared from Parkhead (despite them winning the league & being more closely challenged than last season) proves this.

I don't get Celtic fans taking umbridge at this. Football and its Clubs was built on local rivalries.

It’s the downsizing that really hurt the club. Ronny was a cut price option, we weren’t qualifying for the CL and we were stumbling to the title.

The absence of the **** was a factor but they’re not a viable threat and won’t be for some time.

29 minutes ago, The OP said:

It’s the downsizing that really hurt the club. Ronny was a cut price option, we weren’t qualifying for the CL and we were stumbling to the title.

The absence of the **** was a factor but they’re not a viable threat and won’t be for some time.

Celtic perhaps could be accused of downsizing with regard to appointing Ronny as a cheap option but they were still paying out decent transfer fees plus secured Roberts on loan from Manchester City so I'm not sure that stands up as an argument.

I never understand Celtic fans that always moan about them not spending £m in transfer fees as their Board have to ignore CL income to an extent when it budgeting due to its uncertain nature.......a certain Club from Govan tried that and look how that turned out!

9 minutes ago, sjc said:

Celtic perhaps could be accused of downsizing with regard to appointing Ronny as a cheap option but they were still paying out decent transfer fees plus secured Roberts on loan from Manchester City so I'm not sure that stands up as an argument.

I never understand Celtic fans that always moan about them not spending £m in transfer fees as their Board have to ignore CL income to an extent when it budgeting due to its uncertain nature.......a certain Club from Govan tried that and look how that turned out!

Not moaning, just saying when you lose to Maribor and Molde attendances will drop because you know you’re paying a fair amount to watch an inferior product.

There's some shifting of the terms of discussion evident here.

I'm not arguing that Rangers currently represents a threat to Celtic.  I'm arguing that their absence from the top flight impacted negatively on Celtic's gates.

Despite a few Celtic fans objecting to this suggestion, none have been able to challenge it by quoting figures.  

Edited by Monkey Tennis

On 12 January 2018 at 21:07, The_Kincardine said:

The Sellick fans on here would have stayed up to watch our game this morning but for those of us who have jobs here's the highlight:

In other new, wee Docherty from The Accies is on the radar: https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/rangers-make-move-greg-docherty-11842855

He'd be a terrific signing.  Fast and direct and loves The Gers.  Over to you, Mark Allen.

How the mighty have fallen. The old club signed Gascoigne, Klos, Laudrup, Butcher, Stevens etc, etc, now they are wetting their knickers over Greg Docherty  from (in their own words) diddy Hamilton Accies. Given that Accies were victims of a near £1,000,000 hit recently and Dochery is contracted until 2020, I can't see them waiting until the season money comes in, to let one of their better players go

12 minutes ago, Sting777 said:

How the mighty have fallen. The old club signed Gascoigne, Klos, Laudrup, Butcher, Stevens etc, etc, now they are wetting their knickers over Greg Docherty  from (in their own words) diddy Hamilton Accies. Given that Accies were victims of a near £1,000,000 hit recently and Dochery is contracted until 2020, I can't see them waiting until the season money comes in, to let one of their better players go

All teams in Scotland have down sized the players they can sign. Long gone are the days of Laudrup, Gascoigne, Di Canio, Larsson, Ravenelli, Gilhaus, Square, Latapy etc etc.

It was exciting at the time, Christ I loved watching Simon Stainrod however these guys coming to Scotland was not financially sustainable. We also don't have an attractive proposition anymore as there is no competition to Celtics domestic dominance.

Hopefully Docherty makes the right choice for his own development especially given he is a young Scots pkayer. Not sure where his mind is at by judging that people will be desperate for him to fail if he goes to Sevco,  I hope he goes to a club out with Scotland but also one where he gets his fair share of Scottish football.

Guys like him and Morgan need regular football to aid their development.