Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2023/24

And just what might have coincided with Rodgers' appointment that summer?

Even Lawell said that Rangers' absence was costing Celtic £10m.

Their absence left us with a free run at the Champions league, the group stages alone is worth 3 times that, which we failed to reach for several years. Basically not having them there anymore could have actually benefited us financially if we thought a bit bigger. But yes having extra competition would have been a factor, the apparent behaviour of the Sevco directors at Hampden in the semi was also a reason allegedly why Desmond loosened the purse strings. Appointing a proven manager took care of both those issues. The champions league though is worth far more though than the rivalry now so essentially we have bigger fish to fry now. We wouldnt have needed a man of Brendans Caliber just to take care of Sevco imo.

5 minutes ago, Swordfishtrombone said:

To be fair if Murty has organised his team to win that game convincingly he is already streets ahead of the previous manager friendly or not.

Good away win for your mob today.  If only you could keep some consistency...

I like Murty and have said it a lot on the various Sevco threads.  I think he's the manager we need and it'll be an interesting 2nd half of the season.

2 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Their absence left us with a free run at the Champions league, the group stages alone is worth 3 times that, which we failed to reach for several years. Basically not having them there anymore could have actually benefited us financially if we thought a bit bigger. But yes having extra competition would have been a factor, the apparent behaviour of the Sevco directors at Hampden in the semi was also a reason allegedly why Desmond loosened the purse strings. Appointing a proven manager took care of both those issues. The champions league though is worth far more though than the rivalry now so essentially we have bigger fish to fry now. We wouldnt have needed a man of Brendans Caliber just to take care of Sevco imo.

Celtic upped their game in response to Rangers joining the top flight.

The duopoly has made the game less competitive than it was when it had been broken.

Celtic fans very clearly missed having Rangers around.  Their gates were at their lowest when their pantomime rivals had vacated the stage.

10 minutes ago, gannonball said:

The champions league though is worth far more though than the rivalry now so essentially we have bigger fish to fry now. We wouldnt have needed a man of Brendans Caliber just to take care of Sevco imo.

Oh the 'bigger fish to fry' trope?  That's why you and your fellow fans continue to post on here and proffer links to training games?

The Sevco threads are polluted by you and yours.  If you really had 'bigger fish to fry' then you'd not appear here.

Celtic upped their game in response to Rangers joining the top flight.
The duopoly has made the game less competitive than it was when it had been broken.
Celtic fans very clearly missed having Rangers around.  Their gates were at their lowest when their pantomime rivals had vacated the stage.

You have basically just repeated your two points again despite me providing pretty valid reasons against them? I see you have no counter argument so good night to you.

Oh the 'bigger fish to fry' trope?  That's why you and your fellow fans continue to post on here and proffer links to training games?
The Sevco threads are polluted by you and yours.  If you really had 'bigger fish to fry' then you'd not appear here.

I was meaning more in financial terms. I am aware Celtic fans and many other scottish football fans do have an interest in Sevco but nowadays its more for the comedy aspect,not the competitive.

14 minutes ago, gannonball said:

You have basically just repeated your two points again despite me providing pretty valid reasons against them? I see you have no counter argument so good night to you.

What valid reasons have you offered?

You stated the bleeding obvious in that Celtic had a free run at CL qualifying.  

What you've not challenged is that gates suffered badly without Rangers and have since shown significant recovery.

What valid reasons have you offered?
You stated the bleeding obvious in that Celtic had a free run at CL qualifying.  
What you've not challenged is that gates suffered badly without Rangers and have since shown significant recovery.

Ah so I didnt mention crowds were already generally on the decline for the best part of a decade, an unknown manager, Lawell pulling the strings,absolute sh*te signings,no champions league. My bad......

1 minute ago, gannonball said:

Ah so I didnt mention crowds were already generally on the decline for the best part of a decade, an unknown manager, Lawell pulling the strings,absolute sh*te signings,no champions league. My bad......

Are you really saying that the Rangers situation was entirely incidental to the decline in Celtic's gates?

And that it is also incidental to the fact that they've recently got better again?

Is that honestly what you're attempting to argue here?

2 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Are you really saying that the Rangers situation was entirely incidental to the decline in Celtic's gates?

And that it is also incidental to the fact that they've recently got better again?

How can you measure the % of fans when they kept their season tickets?
Celtic have the 3rd best in the uk.

Nope. I have said not having competition was a factor. Read my posts. I was arguing there were many other ones,some more significant. Anyway this is getting repetitive and tedious where you are repeating the same thing and I am having to repeat my points which are being constantly ignored.

5 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Nope. I have said not having competition was a factor. Read my posts. I was arguing there were many other ones,some more significant. Anyway this is getting repetitive and tedious where you are repeating the same thing and I am having to repeat my points which are being constantly ignored.

You're totally misrepresenting this.

These points you're claiming are not the trump cards you appear to think they are.  

Of course, other factors might feature, but the fact that Celtic's gates suffered badly in Rangers' absence is undeniable and is the salient one.

Just now, wastecoatwilly said:

Prove it? give me figures

I'm pretty certain that the figures published in support of the ludicrous Armageddon narrative,  pointed to drops in gates at Kilmarnock, Motherwell and most notably at Celtic, while ignoring that other clubs saw their gates pretty much break even, or actually improve.

If I've got that wrong, you'll obviously be able to expose it.