Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2023/24

8 minutes ago, Principal Flutie said:

Well... no actually. Any team would struggle to get rid of a player with his problems. He's not worth the risk of paying that money. A player with a tenth of his talent has a better chance of being sold for millions.

I disagree.  A regular goalscorer is worth his weight in gold.

If they believe he's good enough to step up to the next level they will overlook his misdemeanours.  Plus most managers will have a degree of arrogance that they can rid it from his game in time.

23 hours ago, rainbowrising said:

Dons second is similar to Hibs equaliser last week.  Back 4 all over the shop.  No one in midfield tracking runners and getting back - scary really how the Dons forwards simply ran past them all.  One simple pass and the Dons had players queuing up to score.

As for the £20m Morelos.  The guy is a cheating diver with a habit for off the ball violence.  How you can possibly rate him at £40m, have a word.  The child-like 'aye but Celtic had a player worth £20m...' isn't really an argument for valuing him at £60m.....

Keep believing the lies guys, you have done for some time.  The banter goes on, you just cant help yourselves.

Rangers are a very good counter attacking team. They look like they can score almost every time they are on the counter. the issue they have is that most teams won't set up against them in a manner that they can use this to their advantage. We've beat them three times and each time we've sat deep and allowed them to run out of ideas and resort to firing in crosses or blocking all of their shots. The times we've failed to win, we've tried an expansive game and been picked off several times.

The goals they are losing that you've highlighted above are largely down to a lack of concentration when the onus is on them. Something you rarely see from Celtic.

Any scout watching Morelos the other night would of been back down the road thinking to himself, f**k that.. Any other league the scumbag would be getting bans and fines for that embarrassing and disgusting display. Plus any club worth their salt will have done some research and realised what a financial mess sevco are and won't be offering over the odds.. 

As for slippy he will be off as soon as the unwashed turn on him, they are turning.... 

I admit to not knowing much about Morelos (as will shortly become clear...), but I think that discussions of his possible departure and associated sums of money are pretty interesting. I'd be very surprised if we ever have reliable information on that, even post-event.

In the public domain is the fact that Rangers took a secured loan with interest in 2018, in the sort of amount that their audited 2016-17 accounts said would be required from King and other directors, and which the auditors had been assured that those directors would make available. Similarly, the 2017-18 audited accounts advised that more money would be required from King and others to see out the (current) season, and Rangers have arranged another secured loan with interest facility. It's not yet clear if any of that has been drawn down this year. It's vaguely interesting that the announcement of this year's loan facility, which reflects audited accounts, came hard on the heels of King's unaudited mid-year update: that was a much more up-beat account of financial standing but may of course have been misleading.

It's inconceivable that Rangers would pay significant interest on a loan if they didn't have to. Unless it's a big coincidence and additional liabilities were identified, it may well be serving the purpose of the directors' ("free") loans, as promised to the auditors. In any case, it seems clear that all money borrowed under this facility and the previous one has been required for running costs. That give us a good indication that Rangers are annually taking in a few million less than they need in order to survive. I know this is not new information: the audited accounts say as much under the Going Concern warning; the loans are just corroboration of that status.

Last year, there was a lot of controversy without any objective evidence about putative bids for Morelos. There's more of the same this year, and the overall financial position of Rangers is quite similar. The figure of £20m for Morelos to leave seems to be "accepted", but without anyone apparently having bid anything close to that in the January window.

I took a look at "transfermrkt", for an objective figure. I have no idea how reliable that site is, but it should at least have some data behind it, and shouldn't be biased in either direction. (So even if it's terrible, it may still be better than any other option.) They rate him at £2.7. That sounds low compared to recent (possible) hype; but not a bad increase relative to the £900k value on joining Rangers.

The goals he's scored in the Premiership this season, and a very quick "result without his goals" analysis, have been worth 7 points to Rangers. That assumes that the goals stand alone (which I'm calling my "goals don't change matches!" assumption :lol:), and that any player who would have played instead of him would have scored no result-affecting goals in any Premiership matches. Those are both gross and incorrect assumptions, and are simply to get a very rough handle on the asset that Rangers would be selling.

10 of his 16 goals did not affect the result, on the same assumptions as above. That may well tally with the idea that his contribution is, on average, less valuable in the closely-fought games.

Just playing with the public domain information. I admit I don't know what's likely to happen with Morelos; but I would guess that we won't get reliable information on that at any point.

5 hours ago, Principal Flutie said:

Well... no actually. Any team would struggle to get rid of a player with his problems. He's not worth the risk of paying that money. A player with a tenth of his talent has a better chance of being sold for millions.

A young player with an eye for goal and progressing in to his national team, tho still a bit a rough around the edges could well attract a lot of attention Randy.

I'd be gutted if left, he brings so much to the team, as the amount of flak he receives proves.

5 hours ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Slippy G said he was to angry to talk to his players after the game maybe it was what the Aberdeen fans were singing after the game and not the performance.
Given that he built this team and now realises they're not good enough his soul searching and responsibility is on default.
Sevco fans are searching for progress this year with a manager that has underestimated Scottish football with his signings.
The season is finished before the end of March,  at lease the dosh from Europe has already been spent. 

This team was never going to be the finished article William, a rookie manager will make mistakes and the squad will keep on improving.

14 games in Europe, some poor results domestically but a 2nd or 3rd place finish and back into the Euro group stages next season will do me.

1 minute ago, bennett said:

A young player with an eye for goal and progressing in to his national team, tho still a bit a rough around the edges could well attract a lot of attention Randy.

I'd be gutted if left, he brings so much to the team, as the amount of flak he receives proves.

This team was never going to be the finished article William, a rookie manager will make mistakes and the squad will keep on improving.

14 games in Europe, some poor results domestically but a 2nd or 3rd place finish and back into the Euro group stages next season will do me.

You think you're going to draw out shite like Maribor and Ufa again?  

2 minutes ago, Snifter Pee Rot said:

You think you're going to draw out shite like Maribor and Ufa again?  

Maribor skelped the invincibles in the 2014 champions League qualifiers, hardly shite....

2 minutes ago, bennett said:

Maribor skelped the invincibles in the 2014 champions League qualifiers, hardly shite....

2014 is not 2018. Current Maribor squad is worth less than Hibs on  transfermarkt. LESS!

Mind, you can't beat the current poor Hibs side. Maybe beating Maribor by a goal was an upset. lol. 

Edited by Snifter Pee Rot

4 minutes ago, Snifter Pee Rot said:

2014 is not 2018. Current Maribor squad is worth less than Hibs on  transfermarkt. LESS!

Mind, you can't beat the current poor Hibs side. Maybe beating Maribor by a goal was an upset. lol. 

You know what the current Maribor squad is worth:lol: Ffs mate you need to take a break....

Edited by bennett
Meh

First of all, this is not meant as an insult, Bennett, but I have noticed a worrying trend in your replies.
Are you aware that insisting on making up names for other people when they have already chosen their own is an indicator of clinical narcissism? This may have been pointed out to you before and, if so, I apologise. You may not want to seek help but there can be concomitant issues.

56 minutes ago, bennett said:

So you have no ambition to win silverware plus where do you see improvement in the squad?

2 hours ago, sugna said:

10 of his 16 goals did not affect the result, on the same assumptions as above. That may well tally with the idea that his contribution is, on average, less valuable in the closely-fought games.

Think this is the key issue with Morelos. If we are comparing him directly to Dembele, as seems to be the reasoning behind wanting 20 million quid, then this stat proves he is nowhere near. Dembele scored countless goals in big games. Off the top of my head, 3 in the 5-1 OF game in 2016, the only goal in the league cup semi not long after, the equaliser at Ibrox when Celtic won 2-1, also in Europe, 2 against City in the Champions League and a late penalty to get through in the qualifiers. Morelos reminds me more of a Kris Boyd, a guy who did score regularly in the SPL, but struggled against the better teams and in bigger games. Rangers fans all go on about him being the best striker in the league, but if you were to pick one player for one game, let's just say it was Tuesday night, you would 100% pick Dembele over Morelos, I personally would pick Edouard over him every day of the week aswell. 

Also think that his disicplinary issues can't just be dismissed as something he'll grow out of, he's 22 not 16. Another issue with his temper is that from what I've seen, he seems to go in the huff quite a lot when wound up, aside from kicking out and diving etc, he goes in a wee mood and seems like he almost tries to hard. Players, especially strikers get wound up by defenders, get wee niggly tackles etc all the time, most of them use it as motivation to do better, more reason to score and get it up the defender but Morelos seems to just get dead angry and start kicking things and falling over any time someone breathes on him. 

Sure, he could end up growing up and improving and becoming a good player at a higher level, but I think when all is said and done, he'll be getting compared to Kris Boyd and Dembele will be getting compared to Larsson (not saying he'll actually be that good)

2 minutes ago, Snafu said:

I use Transfermarkt often for reference such as solid stats squads, ages, contract lengths, but I pay little attention to their guesstimates such as transfer value since I don't know where they get their information from.

btw Maribor keep their fingers crossed that they are drawn against a Scottish team in Europe. Its like getting a bye.

It's a useful guide of a club's squad value, altho not entirely reliable I agree. 

Maribor are a diddy club, cannot even average 5k.  Sevco drew nicely with them and Ufa who will be relegated from Russian top tier this year.

9 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

So you have no ambition to win silverware plus where do you see improvement in the squad?

Of course I want to win stuff but I know that it'll take time. Patience grasshopper...

Creativity through the middle probably needs improved.

23 minutes ago, Big Chief Toffee Teeth said:

First of all, this is not meant as an insult, Bennett, but I have noticed a worrying trend in your replies.
Are you aware that insisting on making up names for other people when they have already chosen their own is an indicator of clinical narcissism? This may have been pointed out to you before and, if so, I apologise. You may not want to seek help but there can be concomitant issues.

Have we ever met?

"The hallmarks of Narcissistic Personality Disorder (NPD) are grandiosity, a lack of empathy for other people, and a need for admiration. People with this condition are frequently described as arrogant, self-centered, manipulative, and demanding"

3 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Ironically Rangers are the only Scottish team to have beaten NK Maribor in 10 games between the Slovenians and the four Scottish sides that have tried.

And this so called diddy team are from a nation that has qualified for the World Cup Finals two times more this century than we have and also qualified for a Euro Final as well.

You don't seem to give them a lot of respect, probably our massive Scottish clubs don't either which is why our record against them is horrendous.

They are reasonably diddy.  Aberdeen should've pumped them in reality.