Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2023/24

Guest Moomintroll

Personally I think whoever is in charge of this HOF has played an absolute blinder here, would anyone even know it existed if it wasn't for all the Gazza related publicity they have had this week?

Some good point system in this thread, and some bad. Personally I find the way the HoF went about the nomination and the retraction was wrong. Dangling the carrot in front of Gazza, and also the Rangers support, and then retracting it because of the backlash from people opposed to it tells me it wasn’t thought through very well. How the hell no one on the committee didn’t foresee this coming is beyond me.

It’s a question of precident. Let Gazza in, you need to let all and everybody in. The wider question that I ask myself is about the actual criteria for getting in.

Gazza was some player for Rangers but like an earlier poster noted, he didn’t light the stage in Europe which is the main reason he was brought up here. He won some leagues and cups at a time when Rangers could’ve won them without him. Played around 100 games and the only thing people really remember is the goals against Aberdeen at Ibrox, the flute playing and getting booked for ‘booking’ the referee. I think the real reason he was nominated was because he was simply a big name. Yes, he was a good player but I could name many other Rangers players who had more of an effect on the league who weren’t Scottish.

My own view is that regardless of the wife beating, sexual harassment claims, alcoholism and general ‘lad’ behaviour, he shouldn’t have been nominated at all. The man has had these problems for a while and should be left in peace to deal with them. It’s his problem, his demons and his responsibility to do so. Even consideration for nomination thrusts Gazza into the limelight for his life to be picked over. If this was some attempt to perk him up a bit then it was wrong and it failed. Now we have a situation where all and everyone is throwing in their opinions of suitability. 

So what is the actual criteria? For example is it service to the game? The effect they have had? Iconic status?  No one actually knows but it seems there is a very loosely applied criteria. 

And where do we go next? Do we nominate Ricksen as a tribute to him before he dies, and before the usual suspects jump all over this suggestion, try and understand what I’m trying to say. He wasn’t an iconic Scottish player but some would be scared to speak up against him because of his illness. Is this actually a Hall of Fame or just a roll call of those we have time for and those we don’t?

Guest Moomintroll
Some good point system in this thread, and some bad. Personally I find the way the HoF went about the nomination and the retraction was wrong. Dangling the carrot in front of Gazza, and also the Rangers support, and then retracting it because of the backlash from people opposed to it tells me it wasn’t thought through very well. How the hell no one on the committee didn’t foresee this coming is beyond me.
It’s a question of precident. Let Gazza in, you need to let all and everybody in. The wider question that I ask myself is about the actual criteria for getting in.
Gazza was some player for Rangers but like an earlier poster noted, he didn’t light the stage in Europe which is the main reason he was brought up here. He won some leagues and cups at a time when Rangers could’ve won them without him. Played around 100 games and the only thing people really remember is the goals against Aberdeen at Ibrox, the flute playing and getting booked for ‘booking’ the referee. I think the real reason he was nominated was because he was simply a big name. Yes, he was a good player but I could name many other Rangers players who had more of an effect on the league who weren’t Scottish.
My own view is that regardless of the wife beating, sexual harassment claims, alcoholism and general ‘lad’ behaviour, he shouldn’t have been nominated at all. The man has had these problems for a while and should be left in peace to deal with them. It’s his problem, his demons and his responsibility to do so. Even consideration for nomination thrusts Gazza into the limelight for his life to be picked over. If this was some attempt to perk him up a bit then it was wrong and it failed. Now we have a situation where all and everyone is throwing in their opinions of suitability. 
So what is the actual criteria? For example is it service to the game? The effect they have had? Iconic status?  No one actually knows but it seems there is a very loosely applied criteria. 
And where do we go next? Do we nominate Ricksen as a tribute to him before he dies, and before the usual suspects jump all over this suggestion, try and understand what I’m trying to say. He wasn’t an iconic Scottish player but some would be scared to speak up against him because of his illness. Is this actually a Hall of Fame or just a roll call of those we have time for and those we don’t?
What you said.

1 hour ago, Romeo said:

Why is he tweeting the SFA about this?

Exactly , it's not their HoF.

Individual members may have an opinion, but there's not been any sort of official stance that I'm aware of - Why would there be, it's a third party

Personally not fussed either way. He had a few iconic moments I guess.

Edited by Richie

52 minutes ago, imposs1904 said:

I'm not denying it's an excellent goal . . . but it's still overrated.

It's the kind of goal Brazilian kids on the street can score whenever they feel like it, but only one Englishman has ever done so. Or something.