Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2023/24

3 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Peatgate isn't about whether Rangers received/didn't receive help. It's about a chairman of a club lifting the phone to the SFA Chairman and asking that they don't receive help in a European competition which has absolutely no implications for any other club in Scotland.

This is why I often refer to Scotland as a nasty, pernicious wee country

Had the Scottish Cup final been moved to midweek, the implications for another club in Scotland would have been horrendous on an unprecedented scale.

3 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Had the Scottish Cup final been moved to midweek, the implications for another club in Scotland would have been horrendous on an unprecedented scale.

Wee bit of drama queenery there MT.  Anyway, I have no beef with how our fixture list turned out as I hinted at.  It wouldn't have made any difference.  I am, though, astonished that a club chairman would lift the phone to Peat in the way that he did.  Aren't you or are you inured to the hatred that has come to define Scotland?

11 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

It would have been played midweek rather than on a Saturday, not very horrendous at all.

I'll happily call bollocks on the whole thing until Peat names names. This is press distraction from all the ex Rangers players that are away to get reamed from the taxman. It's a random fucking thing for anyone to suddenly give a shit about, unless there's an agenda behind it. 

18 minutes ago, bennett said:

It would have been played midweek rather than on a Saturday, not very horrendous at all.

Utterly horrendous for supporters who had been brought up on expectations of what reaching a Scottish Cup final would mean, and for whom this was likely to literally be a once in a lifetime experience.

It would have been a diabolical thing for it to be moved to midweek.

36 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Wee bit of drama queenery there MT.  Anyway, I have no beef with how our fixture list turned out as I hinted at.  It wouldn't have made any difference.  I am, though, astonished that a club chairman would lift the phone to Peat in the way that he did.  Aren't you or are you inured to the hatred that has come to define Scotland?

A bit unedifying I suppose, but I'm not unduly troubled by it.  

I actually agree with Bob regarding the cynical opportunism surrounding the Phil O'Donnell tragedy.  That was worse than this.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

Imagine getting in such a state and hating, presumably, the country of your birth so much because your sports club were not given favourable treatment and then frothing because one of the clubs rivals felt that it would be unfair as well.

20 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Imagine getting in such a state and hating, presumably, the country of your birth so much because your sports club were not given favourable treatment and then frothing because one of the clubs rivals felt that it would be unfair as well.

Agreed.  The upside is that none of that has happened on this thread.

59 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

We’re any special measures taken in 1967, 1972, 1983?

It was a bit different "back in the day" as the Scottish Cup Final wasn't always the last game of the season, and the fixture list didn't always run all the way up to the end, plus postponed games were often rearranged by the clubs wherever they liked. Famously the day Kilmarnock and Hearts went head-to-head for the league title was actually the same afternoon as the Scottish Cup Final and Dunfermline (who ultimately came 1pt behind) were playing in the final and still had 1 league game due... Generally the Scottish season finished at the end of April, but the European finals were often well into May.

However looking at the more recent examples... Aberdeen in 1983 were supposed to be playing on the Saturday beforehand but Kilmarnock agreed to move the game forward onto Thursday (meaning Aberdeen played Tuesday-Thursday); they played a league game on the Saturday after. Dundee United in 1987 played on the Saturday before 1st leg; the Saturday-Monday after it; and the Saturday before 2nd leg which was the Scottish Cup final. Celtic in 2003 were supposed to be playing on the Saturday beforehand but Dundee agreed to move the game forward onto Wednesday; they played a league game on the Sunday after.

Dundee United played 70 games in 1986-87 and their spring program was remarkably little different to Rangers 21yrs later.

I'm sure Celtic were refused a league extension in the 60s and had to play 2 games in 2 days, also Man U and Arsenal had to play 2 games in 2 days in the 2000s , and Fulham were refused to change a fixture so they could prepare for the 2010 Final ...

In a statement to The Telegraph, a Premier League spokesman said: "Given it was the final day of the season, when we always play all our matches at the same time for reasons of integrity, 

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

However looking at the more recent examples... Aberdeen in 1983 were supposed to be playing on the Saturday beforehand but Kilmarnock agreed to move the game forward onto Thursday (meaning Aberdeen played Tuesday-Thursday); they played a league game on the Saturday after. 

Two 5-0 pumpings of Killie and Hibs, pumping Real Madrid in between, then pumping Rangers* the following week in the cup final all in the space of 17 days.

Tasty.

2 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

The state of Rangers. Literally get away with Financial doping when Ogilvie and Co were running the game and have the cheek to get worked up over this flimsy piece of press distraction. 

1 hour ago, DeeBairn said:

The state of Rangers. Literally get away with Financial doping when Ogilvie and Co were running the game and have the cheek to get worked up over this flimsy piece of press distraction. 

I know that the answer is 'very little' but you have to ask what occupies the mind of the empty-headed diddies when they trot out phrases like, "Literally get away with Financial doping".

Still, it's my diddy phrase of the day.  Take a bow, @DeeBairn.