Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2023/24

19 hours ago, wastecoatwilly said:

The big thing for me that season was we won it for Tommy burns plus Gordon strachan said later he didn't know there was a tax haven in govan. 

Was that the season your club wanted an Old Firm game postponed after the death of a player who had left the club almost a decade earlier? Celtic were of form , struggling best player out of the game.

Fast forward a few months

True club legend tragically dies and no calls for postponement as Rangers are dead on their feet. 

Dundee United who were the opposition that tragic day at Motherwell asked for their next game to be postponed but were forced to play as planned despite their players witnessing the tragic death of Phil O Donnell

Forget the end of season bullshit. That was the real scandal that year and yet again the footballing authorities made an absolute bollocks of it. 

Was that the season your club wanted an Old Firm game postponed after the death of a player who had left the club almost a decade earlier? Celtic were of form , struggling best player out of the game.
Fast forward a few months
True club legend tragically dies and no calls for postponement as Rangers are dead on their feet. 
Dundee United who were the opposition that tragic day at Motherwell asked for their next game to be postponed but were forced to play as planned despite their players witnessing the tragic death of Phil O Donnell
Forget the end of season bullshit. That was the real scandal that year and yet again the footballing authorities made an absolute bollocks of it. 

^^^raging that his club is no longer with us.

IMG_0490.jpg

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

To use some currently vogue phrases - Peat's pronouncements here seem to be examples of "alternative facts" and "fake news".

Rangers were granted an extension to the league season, with 2 games played after the intended end date. It is known Gordon Smith - and presumably we can also include Peat - wanted to move the Scottish Cup Final back to the Wednesday night, inside the start of the Euro 2008 release period, in order to allow that extension to be longer. Quite rightly this was ruled out. Cup final on a weeknight?! If nothing else it would have been terrible for QotS and their fans.

Of course 2 outstanding games were caused by cancelling v Gretna ahead of CL game v Lyon (lost 3-0) and waterlogged Ibrox pitch v East Stirlingshire.

The footballing season was not extended. It Finished on Cup final day.

You have posted previously that there is an agreed time AFTER the planned last league game for outstanding games to be played. If you were correct in this then the league season was not extended at all. Only the agreed time was utilised 

1 hour ago, BobWilliamson said:

The footballing season was not extended. It Finished on Cup final day.

You have posted previously that there is an agreed time AFTER the planned last league game for outstanding games to be played. If you were correct in this then the league season was not extended at all. Only the agreed time was utilised 

The league season was extended i think we won it on a Thursday night,think it was extended buy 3 or 4 days but rangers had to play a stupid amount of games in a short period.
Plus apart from the gretna game did rangers not play a few replays in the cup because of watties tactics in games?

Edited by wastecoatwilly

13 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

The league season was extended i think we won it on a Thursday night,think it was extended buy 3 or 4 days but rangers had to play a stupid amount of games in a short period.
Plus apart from the gretna game did rangers not play a few replays in the cup because of watties tactics in games?

They played replays because the other clubs earned a draw.

The season was not extended beyond a previously agreed date.

How did that tour of Japan go?

34 minutes ago, BobWilliamson said:

They played replays because the other clubs earned a draw.

The season was not extended beyond a previously agreed date.

How did that tour of Japan go?

My point is i think they cancelled some league games to accommodate the cup games,was this not one of the reasons why they done away with replays?
For me this is the price of success it's very hard to compete on two fronts look what happened to the Nazi's.
Sevco this season may have a similar problem if they can get through the group stages of the Europa.    

Edited by wastecoatwilly

Lex extended the League for the **** , it was nothing to do with Peat ,he was in charge of the SFA and as the Scottish Cup wasn't changed, what exactly did Peat do to help Rangers?..after all he said he ignored pleas not to help them?

Edited by Jdog

8 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

My point is i think they cancelled some league games to accommodate the cup games,was this not one of the reasons why they done away with replays?
For me this is the price of success it's very hard to compete on two fronts look what happened to the Nazi's.
Sevco this season may have a similar problem if they can get through the group stages of the Europa.    

:huh:

I am shocked, Rab.   In the nasty, bitter, parochial wee country that Scotland has become Peat only received one such call?  Clearly another example of club chairmen being out of touch with their fans.

I’m sure there were other demands Kinc, but there was only one that really counted and that had any weight behind it.

On 18/09/2018 at 20:59, BobWilliamson said:

No. The question is why has it taken so long? 

The other question is why tell half a story? 

Name and shame them!

This is only the beginning. When Gilmore left St Mirren he admitted the Scottish game is being run for the benefit of one club

A Club that paid players via side contracts, hidden from the authorities and not subject to tax perhaps? A Club that they (SFA) moved a Cup Final without even telling said Clubs opponents maybe? 

4 minutes ago, RedRob72 said:

I’m sure there were other demands Kinc, but there was only one that really counted and that had any weight behind it.

Here's a factual reminder for Rangers fans of what actually happened that season, Rember it was Peat who got the SPL to postponed fixtures for Scotland v Italy , it was Rangers cheap pitch that flooded postponing a Cup game and it Was Rangers that postponed the Gretna game, and it was the SPL that postponed the New Year derby .

Then the SPL extended the league for Rangers.

https://www.scotsman.com/teams-2-14959/rangers/andrew-smith-george-peat-s-selective-memory-really-sticks-in-throat-1-4801898

1 hour ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Season was not extended - Scottish Cup Final was its intended Saturday, not put back to the Wednesday night.

League season was extended - instead of finishing on Sunday, the final 'top 6' games were put back to Thursday, and Rangers caught-up 2 outstanding games on Saturday & Monday.

There were various reasons why they ended-up with backlog. Phil O'Donnell's death saw 1 game cancelled; SFA agreed with OF & SPL to cancel their league games, the week before Scotland v Italy (lost anyway); Rangers asked SPL to cancel league game, weekend before Lyon in CL (they lost anyway); they'd several Scottish Cup replays; and several postponements - including 1 at Ibrox.

Edited by HibeeJibee

18 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Let's not forget the despicable b*****d that is Gordon Smith.  He actively proposed shifting the Scottish Cup final to midweek.

Swine.

Imagine the sfa trying to help a member club win some prestige for Scotland in a European cup final, just imagine that.

Whatever was he thinking....