Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2023/24

10 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, it does feel like it's in decline a bit, which is a shame.

Genuinely though, how do you think the board should have "evolved" to counter this?

Well there is the cultural aspect.  This is partly (though not exclusively) down to P&B turning from a broad-ranging discussion forum to a Sevco-obsessed mess.  You saw this when our manager made a throw-away remark about referees after the Aberdeen game.  I counted 7 active Rangers threads that evening.  This is horrific stuff.  Now I know that Ken Fuckall is trying to be tongue-in-cheek in his post but, in his clumsy and inane way he isn't wrong.  I quote:

8 hours ago, Ken Fitlike said:

I’m there will be a SevcoRangers ‘event’ just round the corner - whether financial, criminal, general rule bending, corruption or their own unique brand of all-round c***ishness which will reactivate the forums

The decline has been gradual over a few years but has accelerated rapidly over, say, the past 12 months.  Like you, I'd prefer it to be reversed and would start with the board's structure.  We currently have too many forums and sub forums.  The present set-up needs to be pared back.  We have a structure that was fine when active users could be counted in their thousands and match threads could attract 411 users and more.  We now have hundreds of active users and match thread numbers can be counted in their tens on a good day. 

What we have, though, is the equivalent of an old country mansion with several wings which, at its peak, was occupied regularly but has  been near-abandoned apart from a few rooms.

The upside of a serious rationalisation and culling of forums/sub-forums is that it brings the active users together rather than dissipating them as it does now.  As a trivial example, I browsed through the board a few minutes ago and had no real memory of us having an NFL thread.  Seems to be fairly active but is hidden in the bowels of the forum.  Equally, looking at posts about Scotland requires more clicks than is necessary and the 'Tartan Army Ramblings' is in an odd place.  Streamlining the board would, hopefully, draw one in to some new topics and make potentially popular topics easier to access.

'Easy to access' is, of course, important.  The likes of you and me who have posted on here for a decade plus may be ok with such a clumsy arrangement but the competition for P&B is Twitter, Instagram  and indifference.  Easing the board's accessibility will stave of the competition pro tem.  The cultural issue of indifference is trickier.  How you get a discussion group dominated by Sevco-obsessed, empty-headed Yesser sweetie-wives to be winsome to new entrants is much trickier.  This is one I'll leave to people more adroit with social media than me.

Just on a Sevco 'event' occurring, I thought Mordor's roofs were supposed to be effed a couple years back? How do they keep getting safety certificates? If they collapse with Sevconians in full up to their knees bouncy mode it would be a shame. 

Because they’re not effed.

I normally ignore your posts on the Sevco threads as they show the above levels of insight but just notice that you're in Palo Alto.
Are you enjoying yourself?  When I joined Xerox after Uni as a management trainee in 1984 I spent a month at PARC  and absolutely loved the area.

Yeah it’s nice. I like it.
I moved here from the City to get closer to work.

It’s expensive. Median home price is >$3,000,000.

30 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Well there is the cultural aspect.  This is partly (though not exclusively) down to P&B turning from a broad-ranging discussion forum to a Sevco-obsessed mess.  You saw this when our manager made a throw-away remark about referees after the Aberdeen game.  I counted 7 active Rangers threads that evening.  This is horrific stuff.  Now I know that Ken Fuckall is trying to be tongue-in-cheek in his post but, in his clumsy and inane way he isn't wrong.  I quote:

The decline has been gradual over a few years but has accelerated rapidly over, say, the past 12 months.  Like you, I'd prefer it to be reversed and would start with the board's structure.  We currently have too many forums and sub forums.  The present set-up needs to be pared back.  We have a structure that was fine when active users could be counted in their thousands and match threads could attract 411 users and more.  We now have hundreds of active users and match thread numbers can be counted in their tens on a good day. 

What we have, though, is the equivalent of an old country mansion with several wings which, at its peak, was occupied regularly but has  been near-abandoned apart from a few rooms.

The upside of a serious rationalisation and culling of forums/sub-forums is that it brings the active users together rather than dissipating them as it does now.  As a trivial example, I browsed through the board a few minutes ago and had no real memory of us having an NFL thread.  Seems to be fairly active but is hidden in the bowels of the forum.  Equally, looking at posts about Scotland requires more clicks than is necessary and the 'Tartan Army Ramblings' is in an odd place.  Streamlining the board would, hopefully, draw one in to some new topics and make potentially popular topics easier to access.

'Easy to access' is, of course, important.  The likes of you and me who have posted on here for a decade plus may be ok with such a clumsy arrangement but the competition for P&B is Twitter, Instagram  and indifference.  Easing the board's accessibility will stave of the competition pro tem.  The cultural issue of indifference is trickier.  How you get a discussion group dominated by Sevco-obsessed, empty-headed Yesser sweetie-wives to be winsome to new entrants is much trickier.  This is one I'll leave to people more adroit with social media than me.

Ok

I honestly don't think the Sevco obsession is a cause of decline though.  It's simply something you don't like.  There's a great deal of utter rubbish on that theme of course, but as you know, the board peaked when the Rangers saga was at its most engaging.  

Otherwise though, your suggestions are just about attempting to stem a negative flow you see as inevitable, due to changes in social media etc.  I suspect you're maybe right about that, but it's unfortunate and doesn't really invite that criticism about some failure to evolve in a way that neither you or I would, in truth, welcome.

4 hours ago, KnightswoodBear said:

The inexperienced young manager is said to be less than happy with the state of the Ibrox roofs.  Is there any brave stenographers prepared to look into this story? 

We are the PayPal. 

Please don’t ever descend to levels of bennettness.

It’s harrowing.

^^^Wrecked.

1 hour ago, RedRob72 said:

Think most Bears will be truly shocked at this revelation, who would have thought it!!?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/45550817

"The attitude of the authorities was best illustrated when the post-split fixtures were altered to suit one club. A club that had been allowed to postpone a match against Gretna to prepare for a Champions League tie that they lost 3-0.

Now we also know that in every fixture that they played they used ineligible players.

No one at the SFA or SPL thought that it was strange of captain Barry Ferguson to quit Blackburn to return to Rangers for £8,000/week, or so his legit contract read anyway.

After a 10 day break from their second last fixture Celtic dusted down the cobwebs to go to Dundee United and win the title."

They tried their best for you, don't be so ungrateful. The fixture pile up was your own doing. The same benefits of an extended league were not handed to Celtic (nor should they have been) in their lead up to 2003 final. 

1 hour ago, wastecoatwilly said:

You have got to ask yourself why George peat  is throwing a 10 year old grenade in now?
These guys don't say things off the cuff.

No. The question is why has it taken so long? 

The other question is why tell half a story? 

Name and shame them!

This is only the beginning. When Gilmore left St Mirren he admitted the Scottish game is being run for the benefit of one club