Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2023/24

21 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Aye, your record in the wilderness year from when you sacked McBungle is testament to how managers should be dealt with.

You went through 9 managers in 9 years - and had  6 years without a trophy - but are here telling us what is, "acceptable for a manager of the Old Firm".

At least you can string a sentence together and actually discuss football  - which is more than can be said for the other grot* who constantly spam the thread.

* @8MileBU

Some patter getting this pished on a Wednesday night.  Tagging the shit flicking, skin wearing 14mile only makes it worse. 

Remember, plenty of water, couple of paracetamol and keep fighting the good fight you flag wearing old soak.

ETA: McBungle - what age are you, again?

Edited by JMDP

34 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Aye, your record in the wilderness year from when you sacked McBungle is testament to how managers should be dealt with.

You went through 9 managers in 9 years - and had  6 years without a trophy - but are here telling us what is, "acceptable for a manager of the Old Firm".

At least you can string a sentence together and actually discuss football  - which is more than can be said for the other grot* who constantly spam the thread.

* @8MileBU

The late 80’s early 90’s were my earliest memories of being a Celtic fan - not a the best of starts must be said.

i think between McNeil and ONeil only Tommy Burns was given more than 2 seasons and probably due to that Scottish Cup win in 95, could be said he maybe deserved more of a chance gutted he was sacked but if that change hadn’t taken place would he have been able to stop the 10 the next season? I don’t think he would have and the 6th trophy lost in a row was seemingly the tipping point for Burns to be sacked

From then on it felt every season we were changing managers up until O’Neil despite managing to stop the 10 in 97. That’s kind of my point though, I’ve never seen a time where a manager has been afforded that time without winning a trophy so what is about Gerrard that he is being afforded this time without any success when almost every other old firm manager of my generation hasn’t? I’m genuinely curious 

Edited by Jinky67

Gerrard has done well in Europe but his biggest failing is bottling the cup games. He won't get near Celtic for the league.
He probably is their best manager since Smith and will move to one of the bigger EFL Championship sides at the end of the season.

After Celtic get 10IAR Rangers fans will be a ball of white hot rage and appoint Arlene Foster.

Gerrard has turned Rangers into what he was as a player.

Good enough to win one off games against the best, and challenge for cup competitions due to that, but ultimately unable to consistently perform over a complete league season.

There was someone on the radio recently saying Gerrard had 'won everything, multiple times' as a player. And no one picked them up on it. Can't remember who now but made me laugh.

Anyway, he's doing a fairly steady job. They were (even more of) a laughing stock prior to his arrival and they aren't that now. He has improved them but not sure he knows how to take them that extra step. His performance in Europe is undoubtedly impressive.

9 hours ago, Jinky67 said:

His win % in competitive games is 60%. Murty for the season he had in charge was 62%. Granted Gerrard has played more European football so that dilutes it a little however they aren’t winning that many more games under Gerrard especially when it matters and considering the financial backing he has had compared to Murty before him.

6 attempts at winning a trophy and none taken, I can’t really remember a time when that was acceptable for a manager of the Old Firm.

I’ve seen that stat rolled out before but it doesn’t exactly paint a full picture, for example:

Pre Gerrard:

16/17: 67 points (1.76 PPG)

17/18: 70 points (1.84 PPG)

Since Gerrard:

18/19: 78 points (2.05 PPG)

19/20*: 67 points (2.31 PPG)

So, there has been a marked improvement in our performance since Gerrard came in. How much of that can be attributed to increased funding or his ability you can’t say, but undoubtedly, we have improved.

If we take the PPG from 16/17 (1.76) and compare it to the most recent season 19/20 (2.31), the difference works out to be over 20 points. That’s pretty massive. (I know, that is assuming the PPG stayed similar had the 19/20 season been played to a finish).

Edited by AJF

1 hour ago, AJF said:

I’ve seen that stat rolled out before but it doesn’t exactly paint a full picture, for example:

Pre Gerrard:

16/17: 67 points (1.76 PPG)

17/18: 70 points (1.84 PPG)

Since Gerrard:

18/19: 78 points (2.05 PPG)

19/20*: 67 points (2.31 PPG)

So, there has been a marked improvement in our performance since Gerrard came in. How much of that can be attributed to increased funding or his ability you can’t say, but undoubtedly, we have improved.

If we take the PPG from 16/17 (1.76) and compare it to the most recent season 19/20 (2.31), the difference works out to be over 20 points. That’s pretty massive. (I know, that is assuming the PPG stayed similar had the 19/20 season been played to a finish).

I would have assumed showing win % across all competitive matches would paint a fuller picture than just looking at league performances and ppg? Especially when the point I was making was the fact no trophy has been won across all domestic competitions in 6 attempts yet he is being afforded more time to address it then any other OF manager in the past 30 years.

i take your point about league improvement in terms or incremental points increases season per season but is it enough? He seems to be improving the ppg by roughly 10 to 11% season per season but here is where it gets interesting (to me at least however I am an analyst by trade so forgive me).

Everyone assumes Gerrard is closing the gap but is he if you look at the ppg? Celtic went from 2.28 ppg to 2.67 ppg which is a 15% improvement on the season before so is the gap actually increasing and is Gerrard being allowed to continue because the risk of changing manager now is too great? It’s the risk Celtic took when sacking TB and bringing in Jansen despite TB improving Celtic to get within 3-5 points of Rangers during his tenure.

3 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

I would have assumed showing win % across all competitive matches would paint a fuller picture than just looking at league performances and ppg? Especially when the point I was making was the fact no trophy has been won across all domestic competitions in 6 attempts yet he is being afforded more time to address it then any other OF manager in the past 30 years.

i take your point about league improvement in terms or incremental points increases season per season but is it enough? He seems to be improving the ppg by roughly 10 to 11% season per season but here is where it gets interesting (to me at least however I am an analyst by trade so forgive me).

Everyone assumes Gerrard is closing the gap but is he if you look at the ppg? Celtic went from 2.28 ppg to 2.67 ppg which is a 15% improvement on the season before so is the gap actually increasing and is Gerrard being allowed to continue because the risk of changing manager now is too great? It’s the risk Celtic took when sacking TB and bringing in Jansen despite TB improving Celtic to get within 3-5 points of Rangers during his tenure.

Potentially, but there are also flaws in looking solely at win % as it doesn’t take into account how many games we lost under previous managers compared to draws now. Additionally, as you highlight, Gerrard’s relative success in Europe will also skew his win % in comparison to previous managers.

Whether the gradual improvement under Gerrard will be enough to topple Celtic, I’m not sure, but I just get defensive when he is compared to the likes of Murty and Caixinha when I believe it’s clear there has been quite a drastic improvement 😂 it’s a touchy subject given what we’ve been put through haha.

I think maybe the board know that to compete with Celtic they need to pump the kind of money into the squad that would see them quickly in grave financial difficulty, so will perhaps accept no trophies so long as there is evidence of closing the gap.  Gerrard has undoubtedly improved them. After the OF* game in late December they looked to have the edge on Celtic and were understandably being talked about as title winners. Obviously the wheels came off a bit in the new year, but they always gave the impression of being a player or two away from being contenders.

9 minutes ago, velo army said:

I think maybe the board know that to compete with Celtic they need to pump the kind of money into the squad that would see them quickly in grave financial difficulty, so will perhaps accept no trophies so long as there is evidence of closing the gap.  Gerrard has undoubtedly improved them. After the OF* game in late December they looked to have the edge on Celtic and were understandably being talked about as title winners. Obviously the wheels came off a bit in the new year, but they always gave the impression of being a player or two away from being contenders.

I always find it difficult to measure improvement or gaps closing based on OF performances alone. They effectively become one off games where form can go out of the window.

The closet comparison I could draw is the Tommy Burns years at Celtic where we looked to have the edge and if not for Andy Goram in some of those games who knows. We played some amazing football made big improvements, brought in significantly better players in Pierre, Cadete and Di Canio but still ended up with just a Scottish Cup win over his 3 years.

Rangers just had a win at all costs mentality 

29 minutes ago, AJF said:

Potentially, but there are also flaws in looking solely at win % as it doesn’t take into account how many games we lost under previous managers compared to draws now. Additionally, as you highlight, Gerrard’s relative success in Europe will also skew his win % in comparison to previous managers.

Whether the gradual improvement under Gerrard will be enough to topple Celtic, I’m not sure, but I just get defensive when he is compared to the likes of Murty and Caixinha when I believe it’s clear there has been quite a drastic improvement 😂 it’s a touchy subject given what we’ve been put through haha.

Which is fair enough, I’m not trying to suggest he be sacked just generally curious as to why fan sentiment seems to be affording him time previous OF managers didn’t get.

Edited by Jinky67

9 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

The cost usually being opposition players legs

Such as? Don’t remember that Rangers side being a particularly full of hatchet men. I do remember Peter Grant’s numerous failed efforts to be one though.

10 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

Such as? Don’t remember that Rangers side being a particularly full of hatchet men. I do remember Peter Grant’s numerous failed efforts to be one though.

Did you miss the English boy on Sportsound this week relay that ex Rangers and Millwall midfielder Kevin Muscat was the dirtiest player he ever played against. Exact same background as the alleged footballer Hurlock that paraded his 'skills' at Mordor.  Btw Ian Ferguson was way dirtier than Grant. According to fitbastats anyway.

16 minutes ago, Snifter Pee Rot said:

Did you miss the English boy on Sportsound this week relay that ex Rangers and Millwall midfielder Kevin Muscat was the dirtiest player he ever played against. Exact same background as the alleged footballer Hurlock that paraded his 'skills' at Mordor.  Btw Ian Ferguson was way dirtier than Grant. According to fitbastats anyway.

Totally forgot Kevin Muscat was even a thing to be honest, although I think his dirty player reputation preceded his time at Rangers. Hurlock was much the same.

1 hour ago, AJF said:

Slippy G has signed about 40 players in 3 years it's interesting posting about win ratio's and PPG but play station pish isn't real life.
If any manager had signed 40 players you would expect some improvement FFS.
The problem with sevco over the last 3 years is the short term outlook buying experience with no sell on value.
The over 30's may increase the PPG but don't have the legs for the full season plus are more injury prone.
Caxinha bought Morelos the best sell-able asset Slippy G hasn't matched that yet,relying on the European dosh  can only get you so far.
Balogun and Defoe are on one year deals Davis and McGregor have maybe one year left rebuilding the squad every year gives the impression there is improvement but winning nothing proves there isn't.
Heard a lot of rangers fans and fans on here saying Lennon was sevco best signing we may slip up in a cup in a one off game but over 38 games Celtic still set the bar.