Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2023/24

Jones was one of the most bizarre signings of recent times. Nowhere near good enough. 

Edit : as soon as I hit post O'Halloran popped into my mind. Jones moves down the 'bizarre signing' table. 

Edited by Mr. Alli

3 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Jones was one of the most bizarre signings of recent times. Nowhere near good enough. 

Edit : as soon as I hit post O'Halloran popped into my mind. Jones moves down the 'bizarre signing' table. 

Same with Greg Stewart. All 3 not good enough.

6 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Tbf O'Halloran was signed almost exclusively because he chucked Rangers about Ibrox just a few months before.

10 hours ago, bennett said:

ordan Jones has been told he can leave Rangers.

Steven Gerrard has informed the Northern Ireland international that he is not in his first-team plans.

The Rangers boss has told the 25-year-old they won’t stand in his way if he can get a move this summer

I think most bottom six teams would take him, but his wage demands would rule most of them out.  Utterly bizarre signing, and your man Gerrard keeps doing that.   It’s almost as if there’s somebody else making the signings, or else he’s a terrible judge. 

1 minute ago, Savage Henry said:

I think most bottom six teams would take him, but his wage demands would rule most of them out.  Utterly bizarre signing, and your man Gerrard keeps doing that.   It’s almost as if there’s somebody else making the signings, or else he’s a terrible judge. 

We have a DoF that has been replaced since the signing of Jones so I’m hopeful the signings going forward will improve.

With that being said, I personally thought Jones had the potential to be a useful player for us, but he doesn’t suit Gerrard’s style of play which baffles me even more why we signed so many wingers.

2 minutes ago, AJF said:

We have a DoF that has been replaced since the signing of Jones so I’m hopeful the signings going forward will improve.

With that being said, I personally thought Jones had the potential to be a useful player for us, but he doesn’t suit Gerrard’s style of play which baffles me even more why we signed so many wingers.

That red card he got obviously put paid to his chances.  The Albanian guy likewise.  Seems like it might be a character thing.

7 minutes ago, nsr said:

Wasn't it just an obvious attempt to weaken a team who at the time were a potential rival?

That would be part of it.  It's what they and their sister club have always done.

Jones also had a good OF Top Trumps score.

Just now, Monkey Tennis said:

That would be part of it.  It's what they and their sister club have always done.

Jones also had a good OF Top Trumps score.

He ticked a lot of boxes:

- Staunch NI lad

- No transfer fee

- Scored damaging goals against Rangers in the past

Improve the team? Irrelevant.

What’s Gerrard’s hard on for Croatian players all about? Presumably they’re only after a couple of large a week, hence why he keeps going for them?

1 hour ago, nsr said:

Yet another young(ish) player whose dream move to one of the Cheeks led to hardly any games before being unceremoniously tossed in the bin

I would agree that it’s been a bit unceremonious and on the face of it, looks like he probably hasn’t had a fair crack of the whip. However, “hardly any games” is mostly down to him getting a bad injury and missing much of the season.

1 hour ago, Mr. Alli said:

When he was signed he was good enough, relative to the rest of Rangers squad. He was just off the back of a good spell with Killie where he proved himself more than capable of making an impact in Scottish football and I think most Rangers fans expected he’d slot in up top with Morelos and Kent but injury stopped him nailing down a spot and finding a bit of form. However, for Rangers to move forward and truly challenge/overtake the green grot, better players are required. 

O’Halloran was abysmal. Bang average diddy with a shite attitude. Part of me wonders if there’s an element of shite attitude with Jones given Gerrard seems to be prepared to cut his losses and bin him so soon before better has been signed. I also wonder if there’s a bit of book-balancing, and Gerrard’s been told he needs to free-up a wage or two. Who knows...

1 hour ago, tree house tam said:

Same with Greg Stewart. All 3 not good enough.

Jones and Stewart are definitely good enough to be squad players and are more than capable of making an impact against, or at least holding their own against most SPFL sides. Never first picks though if Rangers are to progress.

Edited by 8MileBU

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

More like, sign a player just to deny him to their rivals.

I suppose it's a backhanded complement that when Rangers* poach our players, they make it into the first team (wow, it's actually really easy to do that Hearts' fan thing of turning something you should be embarrassed about into a pathetic victory).