Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2023/24

Just now, Killiefan said:

Yep, every club has the odd idiot but you morons have thousands who inflict their selves on Scottish society.

Which was exactly my point that you seemed to disagree with.

I never once said that other clubs were worse than another, I just reacted to a comment by someone that implied you should just stop supporting a team because you heard a sectarian or racist remark, and I pointed out they’d soon run out of teams to support.

2 minutes ago, Golden Gordon said:

I realise that you're getting it in the neck here AJF and I don't believe that you personally have any truck with racism or bigotry, as you have made clear, but I seem to recall that the Rangers* first team posed with a loyalist flute band after a game against Linfield.

How does that square with the club as an organisation seeking to eradicate bigotry if this is allowed to occur?

I suppose that would then go back to the question of whether you perceive a loyalist flute band as an overtly sectarian or racist group of people.

I think that is a debate that goes deeper than this thread on a football forum so I’m probably a bit apprehensive at opening up that can of worms 😂

1 hour ago, AJF said:

I agree, it would be interesting. I’d have no qualms with the club taking some form of action given that our players are now openly discussing the matter.

I think it is mainly when fans are away from Ibrox, it is a more prevalent issue.

You rarely (not never, but rarely) hear The Billy Boys being sang at Ibrox nowadays for example.  It’ll maybe happen in games v Celtic or big European nights but the majority of games it won’t be heard. In that respect, I think the club have done well to try and move away from it. But, whether it be the passion from big matches or fans fuelled by alcohol, it creeps back in on those occasions.

It seems to happen more frequently at away games and I am unsure what powers Rangers will have in those situation. But totally appreciate your point.

What Steve Clarke highlighted and objected to a couple of years ago, came at Ibrox in a pretty routine cup tie.  It also certainly did not emanate from a tiny minority.

The overt Britishness of the club, manifest in the poppy nonsense, the union flag design in shirts and the prominence of Orange in kits, is all intertwined, deliberate and cynical.

It's why when situations like this latest one arise, they're not incidental.  The club has a particular, cultivated appeal for those who wish to project such sentiment.

Implying that other clubs have similar issues, is to hide from the reality.  Rangers attracts such types because it's designed to.

49 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

What Steve Clarke highlighted and objected to a couple of years ago, came at Ibrox in a pretty routine cup tie.  It also certainly did not emanate from a tiny minority.

The overt Britishness of the club, manifest in the poppy nonsense, the union flag design in shirts and the prominence of Orange in kits, is all intertwined, deliberate and cynical.

It's why when situations like this latest one arise, they're not incidental.  The club has a particular, cultivated appeal for those who wish to project such sentiment.

Implying that other clubs have similar issues, is to hide from the reality.  Rangers attracts such types because it's designed to.

Yes, I accept that, but it wasn’t my intention. I just felt like I had to address the claim from someone that Rangers were the only club with a problem - and the only way I could do that, was by implying other clubs have similar issues too.

I always feel that despite the “announcement” pre game, and rare weak “statements”, that there is no genuine effort or desire from the powers that be at the club to ever change the basis or raison d’etre for the bulk of the club’s following.

“Minority” “majority” “mindless few” whatever, we, you, them, everybody knows it exists and is “promoted”

Oh, and before Romeo or Drew “greenie” me, your side of the cheek is no better.

I always feel that despite the “announcement” pre game, and rare weak “statements”, that there is no genuine effort or desire from the powers that be at the club to ever change the basis or raison d’etre for the bulk of the club’s following. 

“Minority” “majority” “mindless few” whatever, we, you, them, everybody knows it exists and is “promoted”

Oh, and before Romeo or Drew “greenie” me, your side of the cheek is no better.

^^^ greenied 

I think you'll find we are our own separate cheek on the same arse and not a different side of the same cheek.

This is an important distinction

9 hours ago, AJF said:

Maybe you see what you like to see then.

For as long as I remember, there is a message played at Ibrox before every home game, outlining what behaviour is unacceptable and they encourage fans to report any incidents to stewards or police. There is also a dedicated hotline and email address fans are encouraged to use if they wish to remain anonymous.

Rangers launched their Everyone, Anyone campaign recently which aims to “unite people from all backgrounds, cultures and communities”.

They also helped identify a fan that made a racist gesture which led to him being convicted.

They have released multiple statements outlining that this behaviour is unacceptable with Dave King outlining in simple terms that “Rangers is not the club for them” if they felt they were unable to change their ways.

Of course, the club is limited in what action it can take, and incidents like this that play out on social media, the club can do very little.

"Hullo? Is that the sectarian hot line aye?? Sound, fat Billy in section A5 wisnae singing absolute bigotry the day!"

-"Thank you sir, we will get him in for re-education right away, thank you, GSTQ."

10 hours ago, AJF said:

Which was exactly my point that you seemed to disagree with.

I never once said that other clubs were worse than another, I just reacted to a comment by someone that implied you should just stop supporting a team because you heard a sectarian or racist remark, and I pointed out they’d soon run out of teams to support.

If Rangers threw out people singing bigoted songs (or 'remarks') the ground would be near empty

12 hours ago, AJF said:

Maybe you see what you like to see then.

For as long as I remember, there is a message played at Ibrox before every home game, outlining what behaviour is unacceptable and they encourage fans to report any incidents to stewards or police. There is also a dedicated hotline and email address fans are encouraged to use if they wish to remain anonymous.

Rangers launched their Everyone, Anyone campaign recently which aims to “unite people from all backgrounds, cultures and communities”.

They also helped identify a fan that made a racist gesture which led to him being convicted.

They have released multiple statements outlining that this behaviour is unacceptable with Dave King outlining in simple terms that “Rangers is not the club for them” if they felt they were unable to change their ways.

Of course, the club is limited in what action it can take, and incidents like this that play out on social media, the club can do very little.

Is this announcement played before or after the teams walk out to Simply the Best?

10 hours ago, AJF said:

I suppose that would then go back to the question of whether you perceive a loyalist flute band as an overtly sectarian or racist group of people.

I think that is a debate that goes deeper than this thread on a football forum so I’m probably a bit apprehensive at opening up that can of worms 😂

This muddying of the waters is why it is deemed acceptable for Rangers to do this.

Whether or not a loyalist flute band (all of them, or that specific one) are overtly sectarian isn't really the issue, and it is what Bairnardo and MT have alluded to.

The club might say 'Rangers for all' but their acts suggest they still very much want to be perceived as the club representative of a particularly unpleasant demographic. It's maybe a bit of a lazy comparison but Nigel Farage always publicly stated he'd punish racism within UKIP, but do we seriously think they are/were a progressive, inclusive political party?

It is laughable when they claim they do 'everything possible' to eradicate this stuff, when it's clear they don't. They just want to push their image without crossing certain lines. 

I'm not trying to claim those who run Rangers are silently racists pushing an agenda, but they know their market, their USP and what their demographic is. They will never alienate those people.

34 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Is this announcement played before or after the teams walk out to Simply the Best?

If you’d been to Ibrox at all in recent years then you’d know that only the chorus of the song is now played as the teams emerge, therefore not giving fans the opportunity to sing any “add ons” during the verses.

If you’d been to Ibrox at all in recent years then you’d know that only the chorus of the song is now played as the teams emerge, therefore not giving fans the opportunity to sing any “add ons” during the verses.
Oh aye, that's stern action right there. Can you see/hear yourself here?

You are about two posts from going full circle and denying there is a problem at all, and probably one post (if you havent already) from the "small minority" claim.

20 minutes ago, AJF said:

At least they've stopped the half time medley of Dambusters, rule brittania etc. Progress.

22 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Oh aye, that's stern action right there. Can you see/hear yourself here?

You are about two posts from going full circle and denying there is a problem at all, and probably one post (if you havent already) from the "small minority" claim.

What are you talking about? I was literally answering a question from someone that specifically referenced Simply The Best!

I never said it was stern action, I just addressed their question. What on Earth is wrong with that?!

13 hours ago, AJF said:

I might be wrong in this, but I seem to remember that an anti-racism campaigner with links to the Everyone, Anyone campaign made comments at a BLM protest that attitudes within Rangers* regarding race needed to improve.  There appeared to be a social media backlash about these comments & I'm fairly sure he felt the need publicly to backtrack on these comments, as a result of the backlash.  That would suggest to me that there were negative consequences for this campaigner for speaking his mind & that he did not receive an inclusive response for doing so.  

What are you talking about? I was literally answering a question from someone that specifically referenced Simply The Best!
I never said it was stern action, I just addressed their question. What on Earth is wrong with that?!
You recently credited the club with taking action. I am pointing out that what you described there is absolute proof that any "action" is best described as lip service, as other posters have already said, and that should factor into your ongoing thoughts about following a club, rather than crediting them with action that exists as a thin mask and nothing more.

If you are happy to wear the mask too, fine. Just dont come in here trying to hoodwink folk into believing that you are happy to continue to follow Rangers because the club have taken any sort of definitive action.

7 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

You recently credited the club with taking action. I am pointing out that what you described there is absolute proof that any "action" is best described as lip service, as other posters have already said, and that should factor into your ongoing thoughts about following a club, rather than crediting them with action that exists as a thin mask and nothing more.

If you are happy to wear the mask too, fine. Just dont come in here trying to hoodwink folk into believing that you are happy to continue to follow Rangers because the club have taken any sort of definitive action.

You’ve completely lost me.

I responded to someone’s question that was specifically about Rangers playing The Best as the teams came out.

You specifically quoted my response with “oh aye, that’s stern action, can you hear yourself” etc.

I never said that was stern action. I was simply responding to someone’s question about The Best being played. That. Is. All.

14 minutes ago, Golden Gordon said:

I might be wrong in this, but I seem to remember that an anti-racism campaigner with links to the Everyone, Anyone campaign made comments at a BLM protest that attitudes within Rangers* regarding race needed to improve.  There appeared to be a social media backlash about these comments & I'm fairly sure he felt the need publicly to backtrack on these comments, as a result of the backlash.  That would suggest to me that there were negative consequences for this campaigner for speaking his mind & that he did not receive an inclusive response for doing so.  

Yeah I seen some of that. A lot of fans seemed to question why he was bringing up Rangers at a Black Lives Matter rally when he was not there representing Rangers, but I agree, that other responses highlight that more work needs done, no denying that.