What constitutes success?

TFW

I suppose any team finishing 3rd, 2nd and 2nd in their three years in the Super league, but given the shed loads of money spent at Hurlford - bar on the pitch of course - can they be considered to be successful? The kind of money spent would normally require some kind of exposure for the sugar daddy in terms of their business, but you get nothing in return for being the proverbial nearly men.

A Junior Cup win three seasons ago must have had the tarmac folk licking their lips in anticipation... .........regularly appearing in the senior Scottish Cup could reasonably have been anticipated. How much longer will they go on spending the big bucks without significant return?

'significant return'???

I don't think any business that pumps money into a Scottish Junior Football team these days expects any return financially !!!

Would i be wrong in saying the only "Gain" in doing so would be the exposure of advertising your name to the paying public........

Depends what you mean by success.

Getting out of the bottom District League would be great for clubs stuck in the Central League.

Not getting relegated is another.

For instance getting a semi final for the Ants is massive.

Hardly be the same for a Pollok.

Pollok are a game away from a third final this season.

Pollok is a strange one in the Glasgow area that has seen its South Side catchment area grow over the years.

The rest of Glasgow has seen it local population collapse.

Staying afloat for a lot of clubs is success.

Bringing in new fans is success.

A new committee with ideas and luck could bring success.

The wrong committee could kill a club.

Kinda helps if you have serious financial backers not looking for anything in return.

More you win hopefully the more the money comes in.

That team on the park is number one priority for any Junior club.

Not a diehard kilwinning fan  but I liked their style, the way they went for the jugular this season. especially against the east big guns no fear! Hope they get there in the play offs, from not so sunny Portugal !

Where are you getting this from?

Glasgow population is roughly half today of 1961.

Pollok FC saw its local hinterland probably quadruple in size in the last 50 plus years if you take in East Ren on its doorstep.

Pollok FC saw its local hinterland probably quadruple in size in the last 50 plus years if you take in East Ren on its doorstep.

I see your point but at the same time, 'Greater' Glasgow has grown outwards - EK was a village in the 50s and now has 70,000+ in it.

The official southern boundary of Glasgow is a 10/15 min walk from Newlandsfield from memory but you'd have to walk at least another hour or so to find the true green field edge in that direction. Urban East Ren is not part of the city population but substantially adds to the 'Greater' total and some of that was there (e.g. Newton Mearns) when Glasgow itself was 1m+.

That's interesting, didn't realise the population had dropped so dramatically. I suppose that in Glasgow even people who didn't end up in new towns would have been re-settled in your new built high rise schemes, etc leaving the football team and other community ties behind.

I know Senior football in Glasgow is a massive draw but the lack of truly well supported Junior clubs has always surprised me.

AUCHINLECK TALBOT

ultimately Talbot are the best model of success vs sustainability. They have the mentality to endure a couple of bad years every now and again as they know that what they do works more often than not.

Beith just won the main prize , they were league winners not so long ago. What they are doing is sustainable as well and you can't see them imploding like Meadow who, despite being dominant in the league for so long will have the memory of that success tainted by what looks like being a painful few years ahead.

Sounds being made in some quarters make it seem plausible for talbot to drop out of the top tier and champion that league just to sustain their credibility.

That's interesting, didn't realise the population had dropped so dramatically. I suppose that in Glasgow even people who didn't end up in new towns would have been re-settled in your new built high rise schemes, etc leaving the football team and other community ties behind.

I know Senior football in Glasgow is a massive draw but the lack of truly well supported Junior clubs has always surprised me.

Pollok seem to the exception rather than the rule for sure. Some of the traditionally strongest areas for the Juniors - I'm thinking the north of the city, bits of the East End and Govan - have seen pretty drastic decreases in population.

My team are in close proximity to the West End which has seen a large recent increase in population - unfortunately a lot of that is of a quite transient nature. A lot of people come to the area to study or work, and almost inevitably move away once they're married and the kids come, with few people putting down roots in the area, certainly not to the extent that they investigate the local non-league team.

Champion what league? Lowland?

If that is so they would be betraying the history and what they stand for n shouldn't have a easy way back into the junior game if they realise the inevitable mistake they have made.

apologises if picked this up wrong

also sometimes in this life you need realise what you are like my own wee ammie side do.

myedit just clocked ye were talking about super 1st

will leave my wee rant anyway lads lol

Talbot are a football club, the same as Spartans , queens park ,stenny, Dundee united and Barcelona.

They all have their own history's but the are individual to the club, not 'the grade' they play/played.

Talking bout money an sugar daddy's, a mind a heard a story about a player who was being chased by both Talbot and medda, and when the guy went to have talks with Talbot, he was told come here if u want to win medals go to medda if u want money, the player who Al not say his name, signed for Talbot, class story! 😠l

Pollok opened the season with a game at home against Arthurlie.

Nearly a thousand turned up according to the Pollok Twitter account.

Doubt anybody else in Glasgow came anywhere near that figure all season long.

Only Pollok again beat it in the Junior Cup semi final v Hurlford.

Success isn't always winning trophies. It can be about maintaining and improving ur clubs status in the local community. Rebuilding ur fan base and competing at whatever level u find urself. Progress should be the main barometer of success!

Pollok opened the season with a game at home against Arthurlie.

Nearly a thousand turned up according to the Pollok Twitter account.

Doubt anybody else in Glasgow came anywhere near that figure all season long.

Only Pollok again beat it in the Junior Cup semi final v Hurlford.

Shite. There was more at the quarter final at Pollok

Talking bout money an sugar daddy's, a mind a heard a story about a player who was being chased by both Talbot and medda, and when the guy went to have talks with Talbot, he was told come here if u want to win medals go to medda if u want money, the player who Al not say his name, signed for Talbot, class story! l

That's amazing. I didn't realise we spent money in the past.

Archived