Things You Have Never Done

I've never bought a lottery ticket. I kept meaning to when it first started, but never got around to it, and it very quickly began to feel like a pointless waste of money. Sort of borne out by the fact that my mother has bought them for about a quarter of a century now and never had more than two numbers.

I have, however, sold them. Primarily to folk who were clearly potless.

12 hours ago, BFTD said:

"Bellend Papercut" is a phrase that should be on the big list of unacceptable phrases, along with "Perineal Tearing", "Toddler V****a", and Semprini.

Edit: none of these would look out of place on the tracklist of a Cannibal Corpse album, possibly put together in a complete sentence.

Bellend Papercut? Heard them on John Peel one night

Who would have thought an electronic acid jazz Highland dancing fusion band would have been so .... pish.

10 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I've never bought a lottery ticket. I kept meaning to when it first started, but never got around to it, and it very quickly began to feel like a pointless waste of money. Sort of borne out by the fact that my mother has bought them for about a quarter of a century now and never had more than two numbers.

I have, however, sold them. Primarily to folk who were clearly potless.

I won a tenner each time the first 3 weeks, nothing  since apart from a free ticket once. Pretty sure they fixed the draw when they started, to get people addicted, I knew lots of people who won the first few weeks. Just buy one now if I happen to be in a shop on a big prize day, a handful of times a year. It's fundamentally a tax on stupidity, brought in by the Tories. Killed off the pools which was more of a social, family thing, and more exciting for a tiny stake. Set the trend for unlimited promotion of gambling. It's evil.

6 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I won a tenner each time the first 3 weeks, nothing  since apart from a free ticket once. Pretty sure they fixed the draw when they started, to get people addicted, I knew lots of people who won the first few weeks. Just buy one now if I happen to be in a shop on a big prize day, a handful of times a year. It's fundamentally a tax on stupidity, brought in by the Tories. Killed off the pools which was more of a social, family thing, and more exciting for a tiny stake. Set the trend for unlimited promotion of gambling. It's evil.

It is funny to think back to a time when gambling was so heavily restricted. We're constantly bombarded with it now. Tragic/hilarious how most of the adverts are aimed at addicts, telling them that it's safe to gamble with them as you can ask them to stop taking your money...until you ask them to start taking your money again, of course.

One of the things I hated about working in a grocery shop was selling scratchcards to folk who didn't have a pot to piss in, but would be back to empty their purse every day. As you say, you start to detect a slight tinge of sulphur in the air.

• 9 months later...

Bumping this as was reminded of it on the other thread:

Over a million people in Britain don't have a bank account.

6.5m British people have never been on holiday.

Around 50,000 UK children are homeschooled, some of them will never have been school.

19 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Bumping this as was reminded of it on the other thread:

Over a million people in Britain don't have a bank account.

6.5m British people have never been on holiday.

Around 50,000 UK children are homeschooled, some of them will never have been school.

I bet their grammar and sentence structure will have suffered.

On a more serious note, I find that a bit concerning.  Schools are important for social development as well as education.