Edinburgh City

In 1928 the original Edinburgh City FC were formed and the Edinburgh City FC Social Club in 1930. The original club stopped in 1955 but the Social Club kept going and were approached in 1986 to reform a football team, taking over Postal United's place in the East of Scotland League. 
This team were the one that was promoted to the Scottish League. Now they're in the Scottish League the Board has been advised by Sue, Grabbit & Runne that they don't have the rights to use Edinburgh City FC and are relying on the Social Club being nice to them. Which they have been for 36 years and would still be but, hey, you can't make a fast buck if you're relying on someone else's good will. 
Tl:dr- Egos, money and bollocks. The usual Scottish football combination. 

Why would the social club make an issue of it now? Has there been a falling out?

I listened to your chairman’s waffling announcement a couple of weeks ago and remember something about a higher level of scrutiny (ha ha) now you’re in League 1.

7 minutes ago, Clyde01 said:

Why would the social club make an issue of it now? Has there been a falling out?

I listened to your chairman’s waffling announcement a couple of weeks ago and remember something about a higher level of scrutiny (ha ha) now you’re in League 1.

it was suggested earlier in the thread that the powers that be (presumably owner + chairman) have been keen on a re-brand for a while. 

The reference to a higher level of scrutiny was baffling, as the SPFL won't give a toss about this issue. 

The chances of the social club using their own funds to raise a court case must surely be very low.  The football club have used the name for 36 years and it's not clear what the social club's case would be - it's not as if they are selling 'Edinburgh City' merchandise and could claim that the football club are damaging their business.

4 hours ago, Parttimesupporter said:

it was suggested earlier in the thread that the powers that be (presumably owner + chairman) have been keen on a re-brand for a while. 

The reference to a higher level of scrutiny was baffling, as the SPFL won't give a toss about this issue. 

The chances of the social club using their own funds to raise a court case must surely be very low.  The football club have used the name for 36 years and it's not clear what the social club's case would be - it's not as if they are selling 'Edinburgh City' merchandise and could claim that the football club are damaging their business.

Correct 

4 hours ago, Clyde01 said:

The social club never made an issue of it. 

Corporate  driven maniacs wanted to distance themselves and in doing so have well and truly killed the club. 

The board lied 

Edinburgh City FC died  

On 02/07/2022 at 00:35, Billy Bleach said:

Corporate  driven maniacs wanted to distance themselves and in doing so have well and truly killed the club. 

The board lied 

Edinburgh City FC died  

Your quite entitled to your opinion buddy.  👍

(seems a bit over dramatic to me!)

All thats's REALLY happened is a name change. That's all.

Anyway,  I'm really only interested in the football on the pitch, and it's the same players in the same strips I'll be supporting this season.

2 hours ago, Tenkay said:

Your quite entitled to your opinion buddy.  👍

(seems a bit over dramatic to me!)

All thats's REALLY happened is a name change. That's all.

Anyway,  I'm really only interested in the football on the pitch, and it's the same players in the same strips I'll be supporting this season.

You've no clue ya sook

2 hours ago, Tenkay said:

Did anybody go to the game yesterday at Braves?

Thoughts?

No 

Because they lost their proper support.

If you were a proper City fan you'd never entertain this nonsense.

Weren't you the one that wanted the club to stay at Ainslie Park? 

53 minutes ago, Billy Bleach said:

If you were a proper City fan you'd never entertain this nonsense.

Weren't you the one that wanted the club to stay at Ainslie Park? 

What nonsense? A name change? What else?

I am a proper City fan, which is why I will continue to support the players that got us promoted! 👍

Yes, I did enjoy it at Ainslie Park, but we're back home now so we move forward (in League one!). 👏

51 minutes ago, Tenkay said:

What nonsense? A name change? What else?

I am a proper City fan, which is why I will continue to support the players that got us promoted! 👍

Yes, I did enjoy it at Ainslie Park, but we're back home now so we move forward (in League one!). 👏

Its not just about the name change. There's so much more. 

On 01/07/2022 at 13:15, Parttimesupporter said:

They apparently chose FC Edinburgh because "Edinburgh is the brand, the brand that we want to promote.  All the sales and marketing stuff we've done, is the Edinburgh brand is massive.".  Then some rambling about clubs in Europe with similar names, and a reference to the fact that neither Hearts nor Hibs have Edinburgh in their name.

I actually quite like the fact that in Scotland we have a number of clubs where the club name isn't (to non-locals) obviously linked directly to a city or town - I like the more esoteric approach.  Examples being:

Heart of Midlothian - which is really referencing the centre of Edinburgh

Hibernian - referencing the Irish roots of the club; of course Hibs do have "Edinburgh" in their club badge (but not in the official club name IIRC)

St Johnstone - as in Saint John's Town of Perth (I believe ...)

Queen of the South - a description of Dumfries by a local poet - OK, obviously I'm biased here!

Partick Thistle - OK most Scots know that Partick is an area of Glasgow, but for non-Scots ...?

Queens Park - see comment for Partick above ...

St Mirren - referencing a Saint who had links relating to the founding of the Abbey in Paisley (I think)

So I'd have no problem with the re-named Edinburgh City club being named after a relevant area within the City of Edinburgh and thereby still retaining their city identity.  Just a personal view though - I'm not enthusiastic about FC Edinburgh with its pseudo European connotations.

Calling the club Edinburgh "something or other" doesn't seem to sit right and feels a bit pretentious, with Hearts and Hibs clearly being the "major brands" for Edinburgh in football terms.

Sod all to do on a Sunday, eh?

16 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

I actually quite like the fact that in Scotland we have a number of clubs where the club name isn't (to non-locals) obviously linked directly to a city or town - I like the more esoteric approach.  Examples being:

Hibernian - referencing the Irish roots of the club; of course Hibs do have "Edinburgh" in their club badge (but not in the official club name IIRC)

Queen of the South - a description of Dumfries by a local poet - OK, obviously I'm biased here!

Partick Thistle - OK most Scots know that Partick is an area of Glasgow, but for non-Scots ...?

St Mirren - referencing a Saint who had links relating to the founding of the Abbey in Paisley (I think)

So I'd have no problem with the re-named Edinburgh City club being named after a relevant area within the City of Edinburgh

Fur Coat and Nae Knickers FC? 

You'll have had your tea FC? 

No voting Tory gits FC? 

Student Accomodation FC? 

Tourist Trap FC? 

Gardy Loo FC? 

Trams the Bams FC

Potholes and Roadworks FC

There used to be a team called Leith Renton who played at a predecessor of Meadowbank Stadium. Hmm...

renton.jpg.7db021776bed6d1928a0877e0726724c.jpg

^^Escape from the Lowland League... 

2 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Fur Coat and Nae Knickers Fur Coat? 

You'll have had your tea Fur Coat? 

No voting Tory gits Fur Coat? 

Student Accomodation Fur Coat? 

Tourist Trap Fur Coat? 

Gardy Loo Fur Coat? 

Trams the Bams Fur Coat

Potholes and Roadworks Fur Coat

There used to be a team called Leith Renton who played at a predecessor of Meadowbank Stadium. Hmm...

renton.jpg.7db021776bed6d1928a0877e0726724c.jpg

^^Escape from the Lowland League... 

6 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

So I'd have no problem with the re-named Edinburgh City club being named after a relevant area within the City of Edinburgh and thereby still retaining their city identity.  Just a personal view though - I'm not enthusiastic about FC Edinburgh with its pseudo European connotations.

Calling the club Edinburgh "something or other" doesn't seem to sit right and feels a bit pretentious, with Hearts and Hibs clearly being the "major brands" for Edinburgh in football terms.

Sod all to do on a Sunday, eh?

Agree on the charm of unusual names, and that FC Edinburgh is a poor choice.  The problem is that the Club isn't really associated with a particular area of Edinburgh other than Meadowbank which was their base for over 20 years.  So maybe Meadowbank something..... 

On 30/06/2022 at 23:31, tamthebam said:

In 1928 the original Edinburgh City FC were formed and the Edinburgh City FC Social Club in 1930. The original club stopped in 1955 but the Social Club kept going and were approached in 1986 to reform a football team, taking over Postal United's place in the East of Scotland League. 

This team were the one that was promoted to the Scottish League. Now they're in the Scottish League the Board has been advised by Sue, Grabbit & Runne that they don't have the rights to use Edinburgh City FC and are relying on the Social Club being nice to them. Which they have been for 36 years and would still be but, hey, you can't make a fast buck if you're relying on someone else's good will. 

Tl:dr- Egos, money and bollocks. The usual Scottish football combination. 

Don’t know how they can still claim the 1928 on their pish looking badge after distancing themselves from the social club what was the link in the continuation.

53 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

Don’t know how they can still claim the 1928 on their pish looking badge after distancing themselves from the social club what was the link in the continuation.

Yeah the 1928 reference is a nonsense now. As you say, unequivocally breaking the link to the social club is one step too far in retaining the (slightly complex) history