Edinburgh City

3 hours ago, tamthebam said:

The Social Club do have a Sunday League team 

Anyway this is a step too far for this supporter of 27 years. It smacks of the whole moving Meadowbank to Livingston thing and I look forward to watching Gary Jardine, Lairdy and Conrad at Civil Service Strollers next season.

Been involved in Sunday amateurs for a few years now and City did have a Sunday team and there was even a club called South Edinburgh who wore City strips, but neither have been around for a couple of seasons now and I can't recall them admitting a club under such a guise at the recent LEAFA AGM.

1 hour ago, RubyTuesday said:

Given what happened with Meadowbank Thistle and Wimbledon, I think every football fan should be concerned when an SPFL Club changes its name with no legal requirement to do so and no fan consultation. 

One thing that did catch my eye in the chairman's comments was a line about being proud to be in Edinburgh and planning on staying in Edinburgh.... Was there any doubt?

2 hours ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Is it true there's only going to be 500 inside Meadowbank?

According to the chairman on the update, they are trying to arrange standing around the pitch tontake the capacity to 1200.

Have given myself time and just re-watched the update for clarity.

My thoughts

- given that the club have admitted there is no legal challenge at this point from the social club, the name change did not need to happen as quickly and without consultation with the support. In my view this has been a long time abition of the owner to re-brand the club to his preference.  The name FC Edinburgh, I am reliably informed, was mentioned in club marking brochure's as early as 2019 although I admit I personally haven't seen these. The running down of the social media and website over the last season also points me towards this conclusion.

- why completely change the badge, to something far worse, with no mention of the team name on it? Why not keep the existing badge and just update the name?

- the Meadowbank situation is an utter omni-shambles. If the 2nd stand is not given the go ahead, the viability of staying there is completly gone. Even going in as it presently stands hold no appeal whatsoever for watching football.

- £18 to watch football at those facilities is farcical, along whith the decision to do away with free entry for under 12s. Thats a £4 a game price rise when people have less desposible income in thier pocket than at any stage for 40 years.

- the new strips are smart

- I'm undecided what I will do this coming season

2 hours ago, ARFC Exile said:

Have given myself time and just re-watched the update for clarity.

My thoughts

- given that the club have admitted there is no legal challenge at this point from the social club, the name change did not need to happen as quickly and without consultation with the support. In my view this has been a long time abition of the owner to re-brand the club to his preference.  The name FC Edinburgh, I am reliably informed, was mentioned in club marking brochure's as early as 2019 although I admit I personally haven't seen these. The running down of the social media and website over the last season also points me towards this conclusion.

- why completely change the badge, to something far worse, with no mention of the team name on it? Why not keep the existing badge and just update the name?

- the Meadowbank situation is an utter omni-shambles. If the 2nd stand is not given the go ahead, the viability of staying there is completly gone. Even going in as it presently stands hold no appeal whatsoever for watching football.

- £18 to watch football at those facilities is farcical, along whith the decision to do away with free entry for under 12s. Thats a £4 a game price rise when people have less desposible income in thier pocket than at any stage for 40 years.

- the new strips are smart

- I'm undecided what I will do this coming season

Yeah I think this is a good summary. I'll be there next season (already bought my season ticket) but that isn't a particularly ringing endorsement l.

Posting my message to a mate after sleeping on it as it's probably as well thought out a summary as I'll manage.

"Yeah, FC Edinburgh..... Not really anything positive to say. I do think at some point that the name needed to change, it's owned by the social club and we use it on their good grace. That could be revoked at any time and there is no relationship between the football club and social club to speak of. However I'm not buying why it needed done so quickly, there was no indication the social club were going to revoke it or start charging us for example. The lack of fan consultation is atrocious, rebrands happen and things sometimes need to change but if you want to bring fans with you, you need to engage them early on in the process not leak it to the Evening News. FC Edinburgh appeared on some club marketing back in 2019 so it's not a new thing and has been under consideration for a while. Idea seems to be that we'll be known as 'Edinburgh' like FC Barcelona are known as Barcelona and AC Milan are known as Milan. I understand the idea but it's at best ambitious. I've actually not seen a suggested name that I particularly like but that's what a consultation would have drawn out!

An equally big concern for me is Meadowbank, Edinburgh Leisure want the revenue of a football club being a tenant but don't actually want a football club as a tenant. Whether we get in this season or not is still up in the air but can't see how it's a viable medium term home unless we end up back in the Lowland.

The new badge looks slightly better on the strip than in isolation but the old badge (which is only a few years old) was really nice and don't see why we couldn't have just adapted that.

The name and Meadowbank show what can happen when a club grows quickly on the park without having the structure in place to support it off the park. In my opinion.

In better news, getting Innes Murray on a 2 year deal is tremendous business. I was sure he'd be top end of League 1 at a minimum. Such a good player."

4 hours ago, ARFC Exile said:

In my view this has been a long time abition of the owner to re-brand the club to his preference. 

Aye, from the outside, it all feels a bit like when that guy bought Cardiff and changed the badge and kit colour cause he liked red better than blue. There is, as others have pointed out, absolutely no reason whatsoever why the board couldn’t have explain that they think the name needs to be changed and then consulted fans on what to change it to. 

16 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Aye, from the outside, it all feels a bit like when that guy bought Cardiff and changed the badge and kit colour cause he liked red better than blue. There is, as others have pointed out, absolutely no reason whatsoever why the board couldn’t have explain that they think the name needs to be changed and then consulted fans on what to change it to. 

According to Mr Chairman, the Board were keen on changing the home kit to all black as they thought it looked smart. In the end it was the manager who wanted to keep the home kit as all white. So, not a million miles away from the Cardiff situation. 

Unlike others I won't be opting for a season ticket, not at least until I get to experience a match day watching FC Rebrand at Meadowbank. I suspect it will be a very unattractive place at 3pm on a wet and rainy Saturday in November.  

Is anyone able to help me out by summarising what the current state of affairs is with your club? It seems like you were only updated via a Facebook live stream?

Have I got things correct, you’re moving to Meadowbank with a current capacity of 500? We’re meant to be away to you guys in the second game of the season, which will be absolutely rubbish if we’re only allowed about 50 fans! Having said that, Hibs play Hearts at Easter Road the same day, so surely one will be moved anyway.

10 hours ago, Clown Job said:

I just found it a bit strange the poster would seem to think Glaswegian in general would care about the club being renamed Capital City 

I didn't say that and have already explained what I meant. You don't say if you're a Weegie yourself; you can't tell from the team you support. 

FWIW the BBC article on the new fixture list refers to "the rebranded Edinburgh FC" though the fixtures themselves still list Edinburgh City. Reminds me of the old Rothmans Football Yearbook for 1974-75 when the Second Division fixture list had Edinburgh FFC with a footnote saying "On the day this book went to press, Edinburgh FFC changed their name to Meadowbank Thistle." Also the Edinburgh FFC name was on the Shoot league ladders - remember them?

13 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

Is anyone able to help me out by summarising what the current state of affairs is with your club? It seems like you were only updated via a Facebook live stream?

Have I got things correct, you’re moving to Meadowbank with a current capacity of 500? We’re meant to be away to you guys in the second game of the season, which will be absolutely rubbish if we’re only allowed about 50 fans! Having said that, Hibs play Hearts at Easter Road the same day, so surely one will be moved anyway.

Yeah that's broadly correct. Essentially the move back to Meadowbank has been an absolute farce for years now and from what I can see the relationship between the club and Edinburgh Leisure is barely functioning. We are still due to move back in but won't find out when until Tuesday. When we do move back we won't have our new stand due to a disagreement with the housebuilder. The lack of a new stand is a huge concern and I don't see how Meadowbank is a viable venue without it. 

In terms of you lot coming to visit the plan seems to be that we arrnage standing round the pitch which takes capacity over 1000. That's very far from a given however.

Yeah we found out via a livestream. The lack of consulation on the name is very very poor.

Personally I think the club will need to look at other options, what those are is anyone's guess. We're close to Hibs so maybe a groundshare? Not sure what Hibs would gain from that. That's based on nothing other than the thoughts in my head.

1 hour ago, AllyMonc said:

Idea seems to be that we'll be known as 'Edinburgh' like FC Barcelona are known as Barcelona and AC Milan are known as Milan. I understand the idea but it's at best ambitious. I've actually not seen a suggested name that I particularly like but that's what a consultation would have drawn out!

This seems like a very stupid person's idea of how clever people think.

a) As many people would have called them "Edinburgh" before when they were known as Edinburgh City.
b) I'm not sure what genuine advantages you'd actually get from people doing that anyway. Do they think the tourists who flock to the city are going to confuse them for the big club and then turn up at a tinpot athletics ground to watch seaside league football at £18 a pop?

23 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

Here is a summary, I might get corrected on some of this

- Edinburgh Clowncil have delegated the whole Meadowbank debacle   project to a separate organisation called Edinburgh Leisure. The CEO of whom appears to be very uninterested in  Edinburgh City FC  FC Rebrand. The announcement on when Meadowbank will be open to the community keeps on getting put back , the latest date on the announcement will be Tuesday 21st June. The club had lined up a friendly with Hibs in early July but this can't go ahead as nobody knows if Meadowbank can be used (yes...that is less than 3 weeks away)

- There is no guarantee that the club will be able to play the League Cup games or opening SPFL league 1 games at Meadowbank, Chairman Jim says there are contingency plans for an alternative venue if required

- Subject to approval (that is a big 'if') the club can put up barriers around the pitch to allow for pitchside standing. Capacity will be 1,600 (although another poster said 1,200 so I can't be sure). So, there will be plenty of room for away fans. But zero chance of getting a decent view of the game unless you bring a stepladder. 

- Admission is going up £4 to £18. Reading between the lines the club are expecting some big travelling support from Dunfermline and Falkirk in particular and they want to milk this cash cow 

- Although planning permission has been granted to build a new 1,000 capacity stand on the other side of the pitch, it appears there is a dispute with a housebuilder over a 6 meter patch of land which may prevent that from happening. At all. 

- There is a lovely corporate hospitality room which seats 70, nice views to Fife. Oh, and you can watch the game from high up by looking through the window....

Edited by RubyTuesday