Edinburgh City

If Edinburgh were to be promoted to the championship, is there any chance one of the big two in Edinburgh would be open to a ground share? Would likely mean Edinburgh as a 2nd partner, being moved about to Sundays / Fridays for games occasionally, but would obviously be a far better football experience, even if the ground was quite empty (could maybe get a few thousand here and there against bigger sides).

Probably not in the Championship, it would be like Cove ground sharing with Aberdeen. I’d imagine both grounds wouldn’t be allowed in the Premiership and they’d probably have to look elsewhere. (Not that either of them being promoted out of the championship is likely anytime soon)

22 hours ago, Bay Citizen said:

Dumbarton were relegated on 34 points last season, we're on 24 so far, so potentially only 4 wins.  I haven't looked at the Championship forum but I'd imagine Cove Rangers are probably getting pelters up there.

Cowdenbeath were in the Championship not so long ago- I imagine quite a few away fans had to stand on the not-so sun kissed slopes of Central Park. 

Subbutteo Meadowbank is shite but I can remember the first away ground I visited (Annfield) had six foot nettles growing out of a roofless urinal. And if you tell the young folk that these days they won't believe you 

(as Annfield is now a housing estate I hope some Stirling yuppie's living room was built over that urinal and he is occasionally haunted by the smell of fousty pish)

12 hours ago, Airdrie76 said:

I’m not saying Meadowbank is fit for purpose, it’s not as it stands, (though I sat back row, ahem, row 3 of the stand and didn’t think it was bad as it was going to be). But if you’re seriously claiming facilities at Saughton for instance (with no seats!) are league 1 standard we’ll have to agree to disagree. That’s ignoring the fact LTHV moved out of it for valid reasons and the fact the place is used for… athletics too (one of your biggest Meadowbank gripes)!

I was told the athletes were told to f*ck off to Saughton when Subbutteo Meadowbank was being built by the council and they complained about the track being made of the wrong material. 

Rip up the track at Saughton then and turn it into a decent stadium. Not much parking there though although there is a tram stop fairly close by. 

23 hours ago, Bay Citizen said:

Dumbarton were relegated on 34 points last season, we're on 24 so far, so potentially only 4 wins.  I haven't looked at the Championship forum but I'd imagine Cove Rangers are probably getting pelters up there.

Why would Cove be getting pelters up there? Nothing wrong with Cove's ground, especially now.

4 hours ago, Bay Citizen said:

Probably not in the Championship, it would be like Cove ground sharing with Aberdeen. I’d imagine both grounds wouldn’t be allowed in the Premiership and they’d probably have to look elsewhere. (Not that either of them being promoted out of the championship is likely anytime soon)

Which grounds? Meadowbank and Cove? Again, I've no idea what the issue with Cove would be. I haven't seen Meadowbank in person yet (give me a week or so) but minimum requirement for Premiership is compliance with Bronze Club Licencing levels which means 500 covered seats as a minimum. There are lots of additional clauses re disabled supporters, press facilities, etc which may also cause problems but as I believe Meadowbank currently has 499 seats it presumably wouldn't be allowed as it stands. It probably would if they complete the 2nd stand they have planning permission for though (I'm aware there are land access issues to be conquered though). 

52 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Cowdenbeath were in the Championship not so long ago- I imagine quite a few away fans had to stand on the not-so sun kissed slopes of Central Park.

Cowdenbeath is a truly dreadful place to watch football but it's compliant to Premiership level.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

14 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

I was told the athletes were told to f*ck off to Saughton when Subbutteo Meadowbank was being built by the council and they complained about the track being made of the wrong material. 

Rip up the track at Saughton then and turn it into a decent stadium. Not much parking there though although there is a tram stop fairly close by. 

What IS the purpose of Meadowbank's running track at the moment? I assumed (wrongly I think) that it was now a much smaller athletics stadium with a football pitch in the middle but it appears from some basic checking that it isn't. It looks like it's a 3G park is it? I can't see from few aerial photos I could find any evidence of a long jump pit, steelpechase water jump, shot put / discus throwing circles, javelin run up, etc. There just seems to be a running track round a football pitch. If it can't be used for even small athletics meets what's the point in it having a running track at all? And if it was designed for football all along why on earth isn't it better?

16 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

What IS the purpose of Meadowbank's running track at the moment? I assumed (wrongly I think) that it was now a much smaller athletics stadium with a football pitch in the middle but it appears from some basic checking that it isn't. It looks like it's a 3G park is it? I can't see from few aerial photos I could find any evidence of a long jump pit, steelpechase water jump, shot put / discus throwing circles, javelin run up, etc. There just seems to be a running track round a football pitch. If it can't be used for even small athletics meets what's the point in it having a running track at all? And if it was designed for football all along why on earth isn't it better?

It has a running track for the athletes to ponce around. The athletes, who usually avoided paying any entrance money at the old Meadowbank, have someone who is very good at publicity and presumably the ears of the council.  It is a 4G park and when the plans were first unveiled some bright spark had imagined shot puts and javelins would land on the pitch. If that's the level of expertise from the architects and planners no wonder the place ended up with such an awful stand. 

Tbf The athletes themselves are by no means happy with what they were landed with either. 

4 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

It has a running track for the athletes to ponce around. The athletes, who usually avoided paying any entrance money at the old Meadowbank, have someone who is very good at publicity and presumably the ears of the council.  It is a 4G park and when the plans were first unveiled some bright spark had imagined shot puts and javelins would land on the pitch. If that's the level of expertise from the architects and planners no wonder the place ended up with such an awful stand. 

Tbf The athletes themselves are by no means happy with what they were landed with either. 

It's a 3G park if it's artificial. 4G is a phone signal, not an artificial pitch standard.

I just don't get the point of the whole thing. It's neither an athletics stadium nor an appropriate football stadium for a professional club then. All that money and nothing commercially useful from it makes no sense.

4 hours ago, tamthebam said:

As much as Central Park is disliked, it cannot be stressed how much better it is than medowbank.

4 hours ago, tamthebam said:

(as Annfield is now a housing estate I hope some Stirling yuppie's living room was built over that urinal and he is occasionally haunted by the smell of fousty pish)

Ah, Foo Stee Pish - Korean who played one season for Albion.

4 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Why would Cove be getting pelters up there? Nothing wrong with Cove's ground, especially now..

I haven’t been there since we were in the same league which was pre-lockdown, so didn’t know things have changed since.

It’s definitely got really good potential if some money can be found. My knowledge is dated but the website I found did seem to list Saughton as a facility for and the contact address for Edinburgh AC. But you’ll likely be closer to the detail (and things move on)
Find it strange defending meadowbank (while saying it’s not fit for purpose for league 1) but Saughton is a state currently (or was!) and the selling point given for it is there’s banking to give a raised view and the other two grounds suggested - prefermill and CSS lack that! And have circa 100 seats.
I stay in Edinburgh and I can’t think of anywhere that might be readily available aside from the new pitch behind Murrayfield. But that’s got some fairly obvious drawbacks. Not sure what the other schools/rugby options are to be fair.
It’s a shame Ainslee Park wasn’t retained until meadowbank can be ‘sorted’ and/ or that Edinburgh are doing so well! I’m sure as a league two ground no one would be complaining to the extent they are. But I do understand why the Dunfermline and Falkirk fans will have a terrible view of it as a facility.

On 28/10/2022 at 13:33, Skyline Drifter said:

Picture of the long jump pit here (one of the reasons fans in the 'stand' are so far away from the pitch).

There is a throwing area which is on the other side of the pitches to the right of the stand - not sure if that is operational yet or not.  In a post below Tam the Bam notes that folk on the project team had initially thought that javelins could land on an artificial football pitch.  

Another fun fact is that the initial design provided for a 60m indoor track, but the designers hadn't grasped the need for a run off area, leading to additional expense. 

long jump pit.jpg

So your new stadium is shite.  I'm genuinely sorry for all Edinburgh fans having to deal with that situation. However, on the plus side your team is tucking away a nice wee pile of league points.

On the other hand my own team is ... well ... just shite really ... and if you'll forgive me, I'm more worried about that at the moment.

Yours sincerely, etc etc

14 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

So your new stadium is shite.  I'm genuinely sorry for all Edinburgh fans having to deal with that situation. However, on the plus side your team is tucking away a nice wee pile of league points.

On the other hand my own team is ... well ... just shite really ... and if you'll forgive me, I'm more worried about that at the moment.

Yours sincerely, etc etc

Form is temporary, but a shite stadium is permanent.